Please ... help me choose .. I'm stuck (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Between M'home :-(
Exp
Since the late 80's
That's because they have the hump with you, just wait until you tell them you've bought a 3 berth older but brilliantly equipped and modernised Hymer, so they need to buy an awning and come in their own car .... Then you'll see if they love you or just put up with you sometimes ...
Hah! I think it me who gives folk the hump. They wouldn't even ask to borrow the 6 berth, it would be me offering it. Do you have timeshares in the Hymer MisterB?

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
I’d have to agree too, looks a lovely van, the time, love, work and attention to detail is unreal - and that’s just the advert! I think the ‘vendor’, who must be an absolutely top bloke, also mentions in the ad that it comes with a full safari tent….

Hmmmm, Imagine if a person like that set about developing a campsite…. :unsure: ;)
I'd love him just to explain what it all means :giggle:

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
My Concern with all of this is the OP keeps stating he has no issues driving a >3500kg moho because he has a C1
Licence and he has no issues driving such a large/long vehicle because he is an ex bus driver. However as I can appreciate his kindness in wanting to loan (not rent) his van ( for the record something I would NEVER do) to selected few who he is assured all damage will be immediately repaired/ paid for
However does this selected few have his C1 licence and more importantly his ability to actually drive large vehicles..
I do hope for his sake they do and I wish him all the best in his choice of moho.
Thanks for your concern PoppyCamper. I think I replied in length (as all my e-mails tend to be) to a previous Funster, so I don't want to bore everyone with another 3 page answer. Thanks for wishing me well, a lot of good folk on MF

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
There’s plenty of updates. We found a site, offer accepted, exchange has happened so we are now living on the site (in the van) until one of the french banks, who will take their own sweet time, agree to lend some serious wonga to le rosbif and the sale then completes in September.
I think I have been skirting around the owner of the Hymer and not realised it. Glad I didn't say anything bad :giggle:

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Thanks for your concern PoppyCamper. I think I replied in length (as all my e-mails tend to be) to a previous Funster, so I don't want to bore everyone with another 3 page answer. Thanks for wishing me well, a lot of good folk on MF
You don't have to bore everyone and I obviously stupidly missed that reply so if you could please direct me to where it was was posted so I can read it.
Thank you..

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
My holiday probably interrupted my reading of it then didn't put 2 and 2 together to carry on reading.

Catch up tonight
Well, it’s not mandatory :) and the thread has now got very long…

Note for OP, though I genuinely don’t care if you aren’t interested in my van, but point of note…

Don’t mean to teach or lecture or be patronising etc, but IF you are a cash buyer, then buying stuff advertised on a forum, any forum, by enthusiast known users of the forum is a MUCH better and safer way to buy. You can often see, backtrack and checkout the history through posts and forum log (as is the case with my van, you can literally track every repair, issue, problem and travel we have done over the last year..). You can even seek the views of other members, who will have huge experience and can tell you if something looks legit and worth your money. My van might be considered expensive for its age and mileage, absolutely yes, but there is (a hundred) good reasons for that…

Using the forum is generally going to be better than taking a punt on something unknown on Fleabay by bodgeitnscarper Ltd. Just sayin’ :)

Again, I ain’t trying to get u interested in mine, and it might not even be available i til October. Some little Frenchie must have practised their ‘French parking’ techniques in the local LeClerc because my front bumper mysteriously picked up a crack - that will have to get fixed first... :banghead:

Ahhhh but these leather seats are comfy ;)

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Its the arapaho for me
we had one ten years ago until family caring commitments forced us to sell, i didnt tell anyone for a week ,i was so sad. It had 6 seatbelts driver passenger and 4 pullman seats, the shower was separate to the loo, we put solar in, for me it was the bees knees we loved it and would have lived in it, yes it is long but i prefer long to wide it had a ton payload , was 3 litre and could really motor ,even when loaded, it was brilliant. No contest in my eyes ….. good luck. Pampam

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Ps i like hymer 544 and would go for one of those now instead of arapaho as we knocking up to 70 and cant be arsed with c1 test 🤷‍♀️

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Well, it’s not mandatory :) and the thread has now got very long…

Note for OP, though I genuinely don’t care if you aren’t interested in my van, but point of note…

Don’t mean to teach or lecture or be patronising etc, but IF you are a cash buyer, then buying stuff advertised on a forum, any forum, by enthusiast known users of the forum is a MUCH better and safer way to buy. You can often see, backtrack and checkout the history through posts and forum log (as is the case with my van, you can literally track every repair, issue, problem and travel we have done over the last year..). You can even seek the views of other members, who will have huge experience and can tell you if something looks legit and worth your money. My van might be considered expensive for its age and mileage, absolutely yes, but there is (a hundred) good reasons for that…

Using the forum is generally going to be better than taking a punt on something unknown on Fleabay by bodgeitnscarper Ltd. Just sayin’ :)

Again, I ain’t trying to get u interested in mine, and it might not even be available i til October. Some little Frenchie must have practised their ‘French parking’ techniques in the local LeClerc because my front bumper mysteriously picked up a crack - that will have to get fixed first... :banghead:

Ahhhh but these leather seats are comfy ;)
I think our comments have passed like ships in a bottle.
I agree with so much of what you have said. However, and here it comes, there is not a huge choice, there are few and far between and many (most) beyond my budget. I have tried other Motorhome clubs to see what going. These two tick all my boxes. I have seen several in the South, one even in Wales but travel time goes into 7 hours ... just on or waiting for a train. I've almost flown the Atlantic in that time.
Your Motorhome isn't expensive for what it is and that you've been on here for some years and are known. I think my point was, it stretches my budget. If only I were rich enough to buy ... say a Camp site in France ... wow .. stuff of dreams.

Sorry to hear about the 'bump.' Things like that really annoy me. We have insurance for moments like that. Some folk are so sneaky.

Please don't mention the leather seat ... the lighting ... the A/C ... the ...
I end up going a pale green colour, but I deny it's envy.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Its the arapaho for me
we had one ten years ago until family caring commitments forced us to sell, i didnt tell anyone for a week ,i was so sad. It had 6 seatbelts driver passenger and 4 pullman seats, the shower was separate to the loo, we put solar in, for me it was the bees knees we loved it and would have lived in it, yes it is long but i prefer long to wide it had a ton payload , was 3 litre and could really motor ,even when loaded, it was brilliant. No contest in my eyes ….. good luck. Pampam
Thanks PamPam - no disrespect for other posts - but I really need to read comments like this because you have had the model I'm talking about and it's all positive. That helps.

I've thought about the width of some M'home. I had an old Hymer, but you put the nail on the head "I prefer long to wide." I found even on regular roads, things got tight and some other drivers hesitated in passing me in the Hymer incase they misjudged. Being a Bus driver I had gotten used to it.

Ah, now just read your other post and you'd go for a Hymer. Thing is Dawseys Hymer isn't for sale until the end Sept begin' of October. I've missed all of our glorious summer sun by then. But big THANKS for the comment.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks sedge, I'd only have them fitted to diner seats anyways. I meant to state that the advisories and fails were over the lifetime of the van, it's been maintained well. Cheers
You'd only be able to do that if there was already a metal structure or framework built into the seat so that in a collision the seat base wouldn't simply collapse, if not then it would pretty much be a no go as I doubt anyone would risk being responsible for installing it and you'd likely not be able to insure it as a 6 berth even if they were properly fitted as insurers would be hesitant to accept the additional risk.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Gazandalf
i would have the hymer now cos we are old !
but if we werent it would be arapaho(my little house on wheels)
loved tag axle , big fridge freezer,choice of beds,two seperate lounge areas,six seat belts , huge payload ,lots of storage
hubby is diabetic with dicky heart so he wont be going to keep his grandad rights for c1
i also find the bigger the motorhome ,the less mileage is on them in general anyway,
we were off in ours at every opportunity , it was one of the best times of my life 😀

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
IMG_1823.png

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Thanks PamPam - no disrespect for other posts - but I really need to read comments like this because you have had the model I'm talking about and it's all positive. That helps.

I've thought about the width of some M'home. I had an old Hymer, but you put the nail on the head "I prefer long to wide." I found even on regular roads, things got tight and some other drivers hesitated in passing me in the Hymer incase they misjudged. Being a Bus driver I had gotten used to it.

Ah, now just read your other post and you'd go for a Hymer. Thing is Dawseys Hymer isn't for sale until the end Sept begin' of October. I've missed all of our glorious summer sun by then. But big THANKS for the comment.
Even if available in October. Fly to Limoges train to Poitiers then down to Spain for some late sun.

I think anyone who buys that van will be spoilt for trying to buy an upgraded 2nd van.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I havent read the thread fully so don't know where you're up to

Buy the van you want , not something suitable for relatives

If you do lend it out they will damage it unless they have experience of driving large vehicles , you only have to look at the state of amazon vans to see it needs experience to go from a car to a large van.

X250 and on chassis cabs were galvanised under the paint , the models before that weren't so rust could be a factor.

My advice would be either buy from a dealer or from someone on here , don't pay any deposits because the guy is about to go on holiday , on an oil rig , or just about to set off for the ISS for 3 months

I know someone who's been looking for 3 months , he's really cheesed off , most of what he rings about are scams looking for a deposit, they're not as described or the owner doesn't like being asked direct questions

Does the boiler work for instance

The usual answer if it doesn't work is "we only stay at sites with showers so we've never used it."

Test everything works if you go to look at one and take a friend so you've got a second pair of eyes / voice of reason with you

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
If considering older vans then you must consider availability of spares so in my opinion go for the Mercedes.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
You'd only be able to do that if there was already a metal structure or framework built into the seat so that in a collision the seat base wouldn't simply collapse, if not then it would pretty much be a no go as I doubt anyone would risk being responsible for installing it and you'd likely not be able to insure it as a 6 berth even if they were properly fitted as insurers would be hesitant to accept the additional risk.
Thanks Minxy girl, these facts are all making me check before I buy. And we're all 'Law Abiding Citizens' in MF, we need to stay within the Law. I shall check all 4 diner seats have belts. I've avoiding some really lovely M'homes because of side facing seats. I prefer those or better still a lounge to the rear, but not shortlisted because of the seatbelt situation. Thanks for your comment.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
If considering older vans then you must consider availability of spares so in my opinion go for the Mercedes.
I've read on here Malcom the scarcity of parts for some models and screen prices for those big Niesman and Bischoff type M'Homes, something I was considering. I never though parts for the Auto-trail might be hard to get. Thanks for the Merc suggestion. I think although a bit 'truck-like' Laika are well built and a Merc engine adds to the mix. Cheers Malcolm ;)

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Gazandalf
i would have the hymer now cos we are old !
but if we werent it would be arapaho(my little house on wheels)
loved tag axle , big fridge freezer,choice of beds,two seperate lounge areas,six seat belts , huge payload ,lots of storage
hubby is diabetic with dicky heart so he wont be going to keep his grandad rights for c1
i also find the bigger the motorhome ,the less mileage is on them in general anyway,
we were off in ours at every opportunity , it was one of the best times of my life 😀
Great Pam Pam - it was these kind of insights I was hoping for. The freezer separate from the fridge was important to me as I like to camp wild, and for the furry-friend I wanted frozen treats to cool her down. She's better in cold than hot - not that I would take her to the heat of a Moroccan summer hah! Too much for me never mind the 'little girl.'

'Bigger the m'home the less the miles' that's interesting. I had never thought about it, but bigger UK motorhomes often seem to have fewer miles. Interesting :unsure: Except in Europe where their M'homes often have what we would consider mega-miles on them.

I wanted a place to lounge with friends but don't like eating on my lap so prefer the height of a diner as well.

"Little house on wheels" hah! That's exactly how I describe my M'homes. Living on a peninsula, I have the sea all around. I can drive and within a literal 10 mins and be next to the sea - walk the dog - have some lunch and feel like I have been away for the day. An overnight stay (free, I LOVE free) near the beach and I feel like I've been away for a weekend.😁

Sad news about your hubby, it will limit him. However, some of the more compact M'homes available now have most things we need, except as you say, 'space.' Thanks again Pam Pam

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
I wrote a whole reply Malcolm and must have pressed something - and your answer has entered the ether above us. I was considering those big old Neisman and Bischoff's till I read on here how much the cost of replacement is. I hadn't thought parts for a 20 year old Fiat engine of M'home would be hard to come by, but point taken my friend.
The Laika is solidly built and paired with a Merc engine would improve the odds of longevity I suppose, something I have pondered, making the choice betwixt the two hard. Thanks for you input Malcolm

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
I havent read the thread fully so don't know where you're up to

Buy the van you want , not something suitable for relatives

If you do lend it out they will damage it unless they have experience of driving large vehicles , you only have to look at the state of amazon vans to see it needs experience to go from a car to a large van.

X250 and on chassis cabs were galvanised under the paint , the models before that weren't so rust could be a factor.

My advice would be either buy from a dealer or from someone on here , don't pay any deposits because the guy is about to go on holiday , on an oil rig , or just about to set off for the ISS for 3 months

I know someone who's been looking for 3 months , he's really cheesed off , most of what he rings about are scams looking for a deposit, they're not as described or the owner doesn't like being asked direct questions

Does the boiler work for instance

The usual answer if it doesn't work is "we only stay at sites with showers so we've never used it."

Test everything works if you go to look at one and take a friend so you've got a second pair of eyes / voice of reason with you
Amazon vans - yeh - often look like a drunk panel beater rushed a job.
x250 galvanised ... never knew that. I have looked up 'Mobile Motorhome Mechanics' in the Telford area to check over the van before I buy it. They'll do a habitation check too.
Good advice re: deposits

Scams? true, I've rang up for some and the call just seemed 'off' somehow. Perhaps my spider sense kicking in. It is tiring and off-putting.
Yes, taking a friend is always a good idea, whilst he's chirping away to my mate I can concentrate on looking at the car or M'home.
Thanks for the help Wack.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I've avoiding some really lovely M'homes because of side facing seats.
FYI, some newer models (but likely outside your budget) have side facing seats with in built forward facing seats. You lose locker space but gain the opportunity for infrequent 'guests' to travel with you.

Mar 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
This is my first proper post and I'm needing some help fellow Campers.

I have been looking for months for a M'home that is well looked after and has space for a family to stay in, even though I am 'one man and his dog.' I want to be able to lend it to friends when I am not using it to get maximum use.

It seems I am now having to make a choice between two excellent M'homes but I need HELP,
A:
An Autotrail Arapaho, 6 berth, 6 wheels, lovely lounge and separate freezer - which on hot days I will make use of, with AC.

B: Is a Mercedes Laika Kreos (it brags that it is a rare model ...?) 6 berth, 4 wheels and looks very tidy too and also has the split freezer fridge.

Both are on E-bay and both similarly priced (20k). It's a huge purchase for me so I need to spend wisely. I've spent hours of reading up on both manufacturers and the advantages disadvantages of 6 wheels etc.

But now I have read myself into a standstill:giggle: I just cannot chose which one to go for. I could ask friends but I need some advice from 'folks in the know' and not, 'Oh that one looks nice.'::bigsmile:
I've had older M'home's before, so I am not new to it, but new to buying something so expensive. Before I end up writing War and Peace part 2, I'll leave it here.

Which one would the Funsters here buy and why?
Are there any negatives?
(About the M'homes, not me or the post)
Appreciating all help and advice on the models. Thanks in advance.
Hire before you buy. It is difficult, near impossible, to know what you want or need until you drive/live in it/use it. As you said, a lot of money to not like your investment, first time our. Hope this helps. Good luck 👍.

Aug 8, 2019
Newent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since November 2018
Be very wary of buying anything on-line. I nearly fell for a scam on ebay a few years ago. It all looked very genuine. The seller claimed to be a person named Rose who was living in Spain, they even sent us a photocopy of their passport and very nice pictures of the van. Story was her husband had died and he had owned and driven the van as she can't drive. She was selling it for cheap as I would have to go to Spain to pick it up. I was to pay via Paypal into an Escrow account with Banco Santander and once I was happy with the van I could release the money, I looked into Paypal's policy on paying via an escrow account and they only use escrow.com and under no circumstances pay into any other escrow account. I had a closer look at the account the seller had given me to pay into and found it was an ordinary current account. When I challenged the seller he became very abusive.
I reported the seller to ebay and Action fraud.

A few weeks later we decide to hire a camper van and on one of the hire sites we looked at was exactly the same van, same number plate, and te same photos that had appeared on ebay.

I bought our current van from a dealer in Weston. very happy with it

Mar 9, 2023
Midlands
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL
Exp
5 year
Thanks mitzmad, I think that's good advice. I've been looking at lots of motorhomes over the years and generally know what appears good or not from ads, I've bought most of my cars that way and so far, it's all good. Unfortunately there are no dealers close to me that I could afford, they're all high end. Damp! Oh boy, that's the one I fear. I bought a damp meter because it bragged it could used on motorhomes, but there's about 3 settings - and it's all for wood. I have no idea which setting to use.

As these M'home are all tidy looking and reporting no damp issues, have been serviced and cared for I should be okay - as long as I take my useless damp meter and pretend I know what I am doing :giggle:

I don's know if I'm allowed to post them, but the ad's are
Autotrail Arapaho 6 Berth Rear Lounge Twin Axle Motorhome For Sale 23k (Motorhome depot)
Mercedes Laika kreos 3003 rare model 6 berth (Smell my motorhome ... Sell my Motorhome - couldn't resist)

I'm really after help on Which One To Choose? ahhhh
Thanks for the advice my friend.
I’d be slightly wary of buying something rare, especially if it’s a little bit older. Things will go wrong and getting spares may be a chalk

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Still miss it, i cried when it was sold , my ideal van 👍
I'd cry if I had to part with that M'home Pam. It looks a stunner. Somehow I missed the pic yesterday. Some folk grow attached and have some emotional connection with their M'homes. I don't know if it's a British thing or a Camper thing. We have built over time in the camper, a lot of memories with friends, family and those strangers we meet who become new friends. I'll "talk" to anyone from any Nation. I usually talk like an Italian with my hands waving everywhere normally so I am able to communicate with most interested people through a mix of occasional words I've picked up from their language and mime the rest. :giggle:

I think it is what we attach and remember about happy times in the Campers that grieves us.

Then again I attach emotional value to things people buy me. I never get rid of them. If people see something in my house, I tell them to take it. I'm not clingy over 'things' I have bought so why not let them enjoy it too. If they like some decorated plate with a gold rim, like I often buy in Spain, (the work involved fascinates me) with those colourful geometric patterns, then I give it away to close friends or family.
And no, I don't do that with passers-by haha! But if someone has bought me something, it never leaves the house. I attach emotional value to it and I think we get like that with our M'homes Pam.

That's why I am not a materially-minded person Pam. If someone breaks a handle, or puts a ding in the Van, whoopee - big deal. Don't we all do clumsy things from time to time? I am one of the clumsiest people I know. It really wouldn't bother me, especially at the budget end I'm at - not big posh stuff like yours hahah! If it were brand new and got 'dinged', well I might just find a place on the beach to stake them out for the next incoming tide - Mm, that's let the cat out of the bag and explains all the washed-up bodies :LOL:

A huge gaping hole in the side would be a cause for consternation though! 😁 But small stuff? Nah. Life is too short and good friends and family too far and few between to lose their relationship over unintended dings. People come first, 'things' arrive a distant second. No, I'm not bragging or portraying myself as some plaster-saint. It's just my view of life as a Christian.

Anyway ... I'm drivelling on. Thanks for sending me a pic.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
I’d be slightly wary of buying something rare, especially if it’s a little bit older. Things will go wrong and getting spares may be a chalk
Adeydub - thanks for the advice, but I'd appreciate some details if you can. What would be hard to replace on either of these? The engine parts are easily sought so would it just be body-work or internal bits?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back