Please ... help me choose .. I'm stuck (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Between M'home :-(
Exp
Since the late 80's
Ire some motorhomes and then view some more..... You need to get a feel for what they offer and what layout you like.

Also. Finances.
Keep 25% of your cash in your pocket as an older Motorhome will need some repairs and maintenance and that way you can get them done and add toys you like (solar, diesel heaters etc...) Without hurting your bank balance.

Never buy one without sitting in it.
Thanks for all the good advice Jev. My main car is an old Ford, no Tax and no MOT and very cheap insurance. When you buy Classics you have to take onboard the motto "Classic are like the Fourth Bridge - always needing attention" so money needs to be put aside as well as knowing an old school mechanic. Some Motorhomers are honest folk, and I ask them about any future jobs which might need doing and they will let me know about little jobs which will need attention. I also use 'Car Analytics' to look at previous MOT's (jobs done as well as failures) and mileage. As you say, even brand new ones can have things added - bike racks etc. Cheers

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
That Autotrail is HUMUNGUS, looks great but BIG, can't see a link for the Lakia
It does look long doesn't it Charlie. I was a Bus Driver in a previous life and I need to lose a bit of weight, so I know all about 'tight squeezes.' :giggle: Driving straight and driving in France won't be a problem, but I have read lots of threads about tag axels and tight spaces which is why I am struggling to chose betwixt the two. I think 'Laika' then I look at the Auto-trail lounge area and think, 'Mmm' I'm like a kid in a sweet shop "Bar of chocolate or bag of sweets" and I can't choose hah! "Kid in a sweet shop" what am I talking about, I'm like that as an adult:giggle:

Have you ever seen tag-axels get into sticky 'situations?' Charlie?

Previously I've had the kids who could guide me in tight spots, but the dog says she can't judge distances so don't ask her - the cheek of it! What is the point of having a 'guide dog' if she won't 'guide' me :giggle:

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Absolutely no way I would lend it out, too many friendships ruined when things get broken.
I'm not a saint PaulyP, but I look after what I have to the best of my ability - however if it breaks then c'est la vie as they say in Sweden. Nothing lasts forever. I wouldn't lend it out if I didn't consider breakages. Life happens and as I say, those folks I would lend it to would repair it asap. With things I own I'm pretty laid back.

Please don't think I am being sanctimonious PaulyP, but to me, people are more important than things.

Now! Mess with my little girl that's another matter altogether!! And by 'little girl', I mean my four-legged little girl :giggle:

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
For the size of the MH you are looking at they are at the budget end of the market hence the age. As we all know with our bodies generally age does not come alone ( I have old gititis of the shoulder and knee!). I'd want an inspection of the hab side for damp before purchase you could always if everything sounds good make an offer on that basis. If the seller gets akward they are probably hiding something!
Wino - but both adverts say, "well-looked after" so it must be true hah :LOL: Good points well made, thanks. I think I could ask that a habitation check be done without insulting anyone. They might be 'budget' to some folk, but to me it's someone very close who passed on and left me the money, so it's a big investment and something to remember them by.

Most of my other investments are timeshare apartments in a little Russian village near somewhere called Cher no bill. Looked beautiful in the brochure.

I don't want to buy a pig in the poke and end up paying exorbitant fees to correct damp. I was going to add something here about motorhomes and damp, but as this is my first proper post I don't want to upset anyone hah!

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
I would check your driving licence to see if you or potential drivers can drive a tag axle vehicle.
Yep, I'm old enough to be able to drive Chesterfields only hooligan, but as has been pointed out, if I wish to lend out to other people the bigger motorhome, then I would need to check they can drive it legally. But thanks for the advice, always welcome and ... for making me feel old :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Have you got a link for the other one you're looking at the links on the post seem to both be the same.
oops, I need to take a little more water with it before posting ...

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Careful with that Lakia.

Could just be me but there seem to be a few companies trading under that name, I wolud want to see business premises with the vehicle on site

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Gazgandalf our Laika is 3.500 fiat with comfortmatic gearbox, hills are fine using hill assist. Downsized from a 4tonner as we were due to renew, again our C1s both due within 3 days of each other and a failure for both would have meant a long time and no driver. We now take the motorbike on an easilifter instead of in the garage. There is a good Laika FB page for any other questions you may have. Take a drive away awning for the grandkids, 3 of whom are adult size and weights, it only has 4 seatbelts in total, so John takes his car, we don't venture abroad with them.
That is a big old motor Scot Sue - my hole assist will come in the form of my dog in a sledge harness :giggle:
I've thought about taking an electric bike, but they're pricey too. It must give you a lot more freedom once parked up though. As I like to 'WildCamp' it would be added mobility.
Laika FB page? Excellent advice. I've googled Laika, but FB would be a good resource so thanks for that.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
You need C1 on your license to drive the lakia as well. It's 3.8 tonne
Wow - how do you chaps know that by looking at it? I bet you know the number the coins in a jar without counting too :) Do you Funsters have access to pages us lesser mortals have no permission to use?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Wow - how do you chaps know that by looking at it? I bet you know the number the coins in a jar without counting too :) Do you Funsters have access to pages us lesser mortals have no permission to use?
No, it tells you in the advert 👍

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
If he has a card machine probably legit, if you go ahead pay deposit (over 100.00) by credit card so you will have some protection if there is anything amiss.

Its probably a different company but Sell My Motorhome Ltd went into liquidation in January, but can't tell if its the same company, but if they are trading from premises and you pay a deposit by credit card you should be covered by the bank although I can't remember what the upper limit is.

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Bear it in mind when you are who ever you deal with, just checked upper limit is 30K.

If you only pay the deposit (over 100.00) and the balance by bank transfer you are usually still covered

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
If he has a card machine probably legit, if you go ahead pay deposit (over 100.00) by credit card so you will have some protection if there is anything amiss.

Its probably a different company but Sell My Motorhome Ltd went into liquidation in January, but can't tell if its the same company, but if they are trading from premises and you pay a deposit by credit card you should be covered by the bank although I can't remember what the upper limit is.
Charlie - that is sound advice and I never thought of that either. I've seen a few motorhomes from 'Sell my Motorhome' so I assumed they were kosher, but as you say, if they went into liquidation then I need to be doubly careful. Thanks

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Bear it in mind when you are who ever you deal with, just checked upper limit is 30K.

If you only pay the deposit (over 100.00) and the balance by bank transfer you are usually still covered
More wisdom - if we ever meet up I owe you a drink. I make the best tea this side of the Thames.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
The Arapaho has only done 18k miles since 2002!
The Laika is 43k since 2000.

Either somebody didn't like driving these vehicles OR there is a sad story to be discovered (OR someone has tampered with the odometer). I would be asking questions.

Gordon (2002 Rapido on 90k: and we have barely used it for the last three years :( )

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Wino - but both adverts say, "well-looked after" so it must be true hah :LOL: Good points well made, thanks. I think I could ask that a habitation check be done without insulting anyone. They might be 'budget' to some folk, but to me it's someone very close who passed on and left me the money, so it's a big investment and something to remember them by.

Most of my other investments are timeshare apartments in a little Russian village near somewhere called Cher no bill. Looked beautiful in the brochure.

I don't want to buy a pig in the poke and end up paying exorbitant fees to correct damp. I was going to add something here about motorhomes and damp, but as this is my first proper post I don't want to upset anyone hah!
For the size of the MH you are looking at they are at the budget end of the market hence the age. As we all know with our bodies generally age does not come alone ( I have old gititis of the shoulder and knee!). I'd want an inspection of the hab side for damp before purchase you could always if everything sounds good make an offer on that basis. If the seller gets akward they are probably hiding something!
Ive sent in a question to both adverts asking about a Hab check. I'm too trusting. I assume everyone else will be as honest as I would be. I shall await their reply 'Wino.'

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015

Either somebody didn't like driving these vehicles OR there is a sad story to be discovered (OR someone has tampered with the odometer). I would be asking questions.

Gordon (2002 Rapido on 90k: and we have barely used it for the last three years :( )
MOT history should identify if the odometer has been changed

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's

You have just reminded me 'Rapido' that I sent a request in for the number plate on the Auto Trail to double check it on 'Car Analytics' because it has a free search on MOT's and mileage.
The mileage however, seems genuine on the Laika, I'm assuming the lady owner did not drive it far, especially over the Chinese Plague period. The mileage does seem consistent and the only advisories seem to be minor, e.g. this years was "Nearside Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))"

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
The Laika history is interesting, seems to have sat not getting used much. It didn't get MOT'd for two years early on.

Now that is curious big tree. I have checked with a couple of free-checking sites and none of them go back that far. Was it MOT free during that period? I assumed every vehicle, motorhome or not, had to be MOT'd. I'm not keen on Motorhomes not being used much. I'd rather have more miles than fewer. Thanks for pointing that out.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Gazgandalf

you wont go wrong with this one to be honest

dawsey
Mister B - I really wanted a bigger berth than 3 ... but oh my word ... look at that interior ... the leather seats ... the long list of things added ... how did they fit all of that in such a small(ish) M'Home? hah :giggle: I'm looking for help deciding between two M'homes and now you introduce this beaut. Are you trying to set off a migraine hah. The only problem here, is that it isn't available until after summer. I have looked at this earlier but passed over it as it was a little more expensive than I was expecting and 3 berth. I'm off to make a coffee and look through the advert again. Oh boy! Why is my life never simple::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back