Please ... help me choose .. I'm stuck (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Between M'home :-(
Exp
Since the late 80's
Hire before you buy. It is difficult, near impossible, to know what you want or need until you drive/live in it/use it. As you said, a lot of money to not like your investment, first time our. Hope this helps. Good luck 👍.
Jacobjohn - loving the name 'JJ.' This would be a good idea on a high end M'home, but the budget end I don't think the average Joe or Joanne would be willing to loan/hire the Camper out before it was bought. However, when I come up on the Pools/Lottery (which will be a miracle in itself because I don't do either) I shall take on that pearl of wisdom :giggle:

Mar 9, 2023
Midlands
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL
Exp
5 year
Adeydub - thanks for the advice, but I'd appreciate some details if you can. What would be hard to replace on either of these? The engine parts are easily sought so would it just be body-work or internal bits?
Anything specific to the model - body trim, windows, latches etc. don’t want to stop you but just something to consider

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
FYI, some newer models (but likely outside your budget) have side facing seats with in built forward facing seats. You lose locker space but gain the opportunity for infrequent 'guests' to travel with you.
Yes I've seen some videos on how the seats cleverly fold out of the side facing seats - but as you say, lose space and they do not come cheap.

Jul 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria compact sl
Thanks mitzmad, I think that's good advice. I've been looking at lots of motorhomes over the years and generally know what appears good or not from ads, I've bought most of my cars that way and so far, it's all good. Unfortunately there are no dealers close to me that I could afford, they're all high end. Damp! Oh boy, that's the one I fear. I bought a damp meter because it bragged it could used on motorhomes, but there's about 3 settings - and it's all for wood. I have no idea which setting to use.

As these M'home are all tidy looking and reporting no damp issues, have been serviced and cared for I should be okay - as long as I take my useless damp meter and pretend I know what I am doing :giggle:

I don's know if I'm allowed to post them, but the ad's are
Autotrail Arapaho 6 Berth Rear Lounge Twin Axle Motorhome For Sale 23k (Motorhome depot)
Mercedes Laika kreos 3003 rare model 6 berth (Smell my motorhome ... Sell my Motorhome - couldn't resist)

I'm really after help on Which One To Choose? ahhhh
Thanks for the advice my friend.
I’ve had a used Laika, years ago but it was very good. Can’t comment on the other as I don’t buy British!

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Honestly, as you are a solo traveller, in many ways smaller is better - more manoeuvrable, more economical etc. The trade off is always going to be comfort and space versus ease of driving. A friend of mine recently bought a VW Camper and whilst that would be too small for me, I totally get that he can access routes that would be stupid for me to attempt. Best thing is to visit as many dealerships as you can to give you a real ‘feel’ for what works for you. After a while, you’ll become expert at layouts and price point and be capable of making a truly informed decision on your own. Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Be very wary of buying anything on-line. I nearly fell for a scam on ebay a few years ago. It all looked very genuine. The seller claimed to be a person named Rose who was living in Spain, they even sent us a photocopy of their passport and very nice pictures of the van. Story was her husband had died and he had owned and driven the van as she can't drive. She was selling it for cheap as I would have to go to Spain to pick it up. I was to pay via Paypal into an Escrow account with Banco Santander and once I was happy with the van I could release the money, I looked into Paypal's policy on paying via an escrow account and they only use escrow.com and under no circumstances pay into any other escrow account. I had a closer look at the account the seller had given me to pay into and found it was an ordinary current account. When I challenged the seller he became very abusive.
I reported the seller to ebay and Action fraud.

A few weeks later we decide to hire a camper van and on one of the hire sites we looked at was exactly the same van, same number plate, and te same photos that had appeared on ebay.

I bought our current van from a dealer in Weston. very happy with it
And that proves a point I have made Rick - E-bay needs better surveillance. I am continually having to report frauds as I view other motorhomes. I've even phoned what looked like Kosher adverts, the seller knew everything about the motorhome and even offered to pick me up from the station (which I had checked out on Google maps) but something in the conversation didn't feel right so I left it - and the advert soon left too. The cons have gotten better. As soon as someone mentions 'Escrow' I'm out!
Just glad you didn't buy it otherwise we would have a very different ending - but thanks for time taken to write your warning Rick, appreciated.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
I’ve had a used Laika, years ago but it was very good. Can’t comment on the other as I don’t buy British!
Well ... I am not going to comment BobbyJ, as I don't want to end up hung, drawn then quartered by 'Funsters' hah! But Leeks and Laika don't seem to go together. Sure Italy has rain, but they seem to have ensured their Motorhomes are well-built. The Brits can be very slap-dash in a Nation known for it's climate and it's a shame. Where has the drive for excellence gone? Things seem to be built down to a price - but even that comes round to kick them in the backside eventually.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Honestly, as you are a solo traveller, in many ways smaller is better - more manoeuvrable, more economical etc. The trade off is always going to be comfort and space versus ease of driving. A friend of mine recently bought a VW Camper and whilst that would be too small for me, I totally get that he can access routes that would be stupid for me to attempt. Best thing is to visit as many dealerships as you can to give you a real ‘feel’ for what works for you. After a while, you’ll become expert at layouts and price point and be capable of making a truly informed decision on your own. Good luck!
Thanks for your comments Mike, appreciated. Although I am one and a half traveller. [🤫Whispered: I count my d.. o..g as a little girl so she is half a human ... until it comes to paying for her then she's a dog. Ooopps said it aloud.]
The Auto-trail would give the most comfort and space - as well as A/C etc and isn't as wide as some M'homes. The problem would be length ... no jokes please.

I've had a Hymer (the older Brown aluminium type), a Ford Luton style and some VW Camper, so I have a good idea of what I would like. It was the difference between the two I have chosen that is hard.

If I had the money, I would go to a dealer - but the 20k I have, they would all be much of a muchness and not a great deal of choice. Besides, I live way out on a peninsula Mike, 40 miles before I even hit the Motorway, so it isn't as if I could view a few in a day.
I love the layout of the Auto-trail and twin axel for stability.
I was hoping someone would list some horrendous facts about one or the other and make it easier to choose :LOL:
No point in asking SWMBO - (the d ... ) she'd be happy in anything. And friends would just just a 'nice colour interior' real helpful hah!

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Have you looked at Northernraiders Tam n pups winter trip 2022?
He's very experienced at buying and selling motorhomes and other vehicles. He's just got his latest on his drive and having problems with it despite going to see it and then being fed a string of lies about it.
His posts are always interesting and very informative anyway.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Have you looked at Northernraiders Tam n pups winter trip 2022?
He's very experienced at buying and selling motorhomes and other vehicles. He's just got his latest on his drive and having problems with it despite going to see it and then being fed a string of lies about it.
His posts are always interesting and very informative anyway.
Steph or John, thanks, I needed a laugh! It broke the seriousness up nicely. That is what my motorhome looks like after a day or so, so I don't want to damage someone else's hard work :giggle: I have seen this, I think on Squeel Bay, took one look at the damage and one look at the green growing on the seals and decided, "No thanks, I've better things to waste money on" Well, you cheered me up hah!

Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
I can't imagine lending my motorhome to someone, I am still learing how things work after 3 years ! I don't know how a novice would cope.

Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
This is my first proper post and I'm needing some help fellow Campers.

I have been looking for months for a M'home that is well looked after and has space for a family to stay in, even though I am 'one man and his dog.' I want to be able to lend it to friends when I am not using it to get maximum use.

It seems I am now having to make a choice between two excellent M'homes but I need HELP,
A:
An Autotrail Arapaho, 6 berth, 6 wheels, lovely lounge and separate freezer - which on hot days I will make use of, with AC.

B: Is a Mercedes Laika Kreos (it brags that it is a rare model ...?) 6 berth, 4 wheels and looks very tidy too and also has the split freezer fridge.

Both are on E-bay and both similarly priced (20k). It's a huge purchase for me so I need to spend wisely. I've spent hours of reading up on both manufacturers and the advantages disadvantages of 6 wheels etc.

But now I have read myself into a standstill:giggle: I just cannot chose which one to go for. I could ask friends but I need some advice from 'folks in the know' and not, 'Oh that one looks nice.'::bigsmile:
I've had older M'home's before, so I am not new to it, but new to buying something so expensive. Before I end up writing War and Peace part 2, I'll leave it here.

Which one would the Funsters here buy and why?
Are there any negatives?
(About the M'homes, not me or the post)
Appreciating all help and advice on the models. Thanks in advance.
I have the Comanche same size as this one, the only thing worth consdering in my opinion would be get one with a fixed rear bed. It would be such a pain having to make up the bed every day.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Gazgandalf. Errm. Don't understand why this was funny. It was posted in all seriousness. Certainly don't want Northernraider, whom I like and admire even though we haven't met, to think I was taking the mickey out of him.
Sorry if I've misunderstood your joke. Don't want to offend you either!
I think I'll leave this now and settle down with a very early G&T while I recover.

Calamaster

Free Member
Jun 12, 2019
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 6
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Gazgandalf,
Lots of great advice here. Please take them all on board. I spent 8 years hiring / using / tripping in various Mohos until I found the configuration for 'OUR REQUIREMENT'... not my friends and kids 'OURS'. Although my kids did road trip to scotland (insured) I found out later it was invalid due to their age.
I was livid that an insurance company could insure knowing the kids were underage!

We are all being asked 'What's Best Moho' and we all say 'Depends what youwant to do with it - Hire some'.

Things break. We all have a 'notepad' each time we go out to log 'repairs needed' when we home.
I am a mechanic so can fix everything myself... currently doing Power Steering Pipes (rusted).
Last trip Fix List:
Window Blind - drunk chap fell on it and it broke
Fridge lock - broke (always a bad design - have 2 spares)
Door won't shut easily - Seal warped need TLC
Wiring Fire due to seriously dodgey wiring direct to leisure batteries - DONE - Rewired the whole lot to new fuse box
.........and so it goes on and on.

If you are a 'turn the key' punter then buy a NEW MOHO and change it every 3 years.
Think most of us on here are hardened 'fixers'.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Gazgandalf. Errm. Don't understand why this was funny. It was posted in all seriousness. Certainly don't want Northernraider, whom I like and admire even though we haven't met, to think I was taking the mickey out of him.
Sorry if I've misunderstood your joke. Don't want to offend you either!
I think I'll leave this now and settle down with a very early G&T while I recover.
I apologise if you soul was wounded my friend = the two motorhomes I am thinking about have very few dings, scrapes and are in excellent condition for their age (and serviced etc) So when you showed me a photo of this motorhome with a repair that ... well ... I don't want to offend if he is your friend, but let's say it looks less than ideal. So I laughed. I thought you were sending something with a "less than ideal" repair as a comparison to help me choose.
I'll settle down to a nice cup of tea after a shower ... then consider a G&T hah!

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
This is my first proper post and I'm needing some help fellow Campers.

I have been looking for months for a M'home that is well looked after and has space for a family to stay in, even though I am 'one man and his dog.' I want to be able to lend it to friends when I am not using it to get maximum use.

It seems I am now having to make a choice between two excellent M'homes but I need HELP,
A:
An Autotrail Arapaho, 6 berth, 6 wheels, lovely lounge and separate freezer - which on hot days I will make use of, with AC.

B: Is a Mercedes Laika Kreos (it brags that it is a rare model ...?) 6 berth, 4 wheels and looks very tidy too and also has the split freezer fridge.

Both are on E-bay and both similarly priced (20k). It's a huge purchase for me so I need to spend wisely. I've spent hours of reading up on both manufacturers and the advantages disadvantages of 6 wheels etc.

But now I have read myself into a standstill:giggle: I just cannot chose which one to go for. I could ask friends but I need some advice from 'folks in the know' and not, 'Oh that one looks nice.'::bigsmile:
I've had older M'home's before, so I am not new to it, but new to buying something so expensive. Before I end up writing War and Peace part 2, I'll leave it here.

Which one would the Funsters here buy and why?
Are there any negatives?
(About the M'homes, not me or the post)
Appreciating all help and advice on the models. Thanks in advance.
Laila Kreos: I looked at that model a long time ago. I was worried about payload, preferring twin rear wheels on a single axle.

Arapaho: I don’t like the fiat drag/tag axle motorhomes so I would rule that one out straight away.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Thanks 'Sedge' I think with the arapaho something is amiss. I put it down to folk who buy campers but stay overnight somewhere local. I have a reply from Motorhomedepot on the habitation saying it would be up to the purchase to pay for one. I suppose that is like make a query about a car's mechanics - but paying for an MOT before you buy it. If it doesn't have seat belts I could always have them fitted I suppose. Unless my friends want to keep their kids fit by running behind? :giggle:

I've sent a message off querying the low miles so hopefully I'll hear about that and get the reg plate to do a history check. Thanks for your info Sedge - it's always useful to have questions posed, even if we think we know the answer. The Funsters here are a wealth of info. Cheers!
Fitting extra seatbelts I think may infringe Construction and Use Regulation's I don't know legally if you can do it, I 'd be care about buying off eBay.but that's me

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
A lot do and are very satisfied buying British, never seen the perfect motorhome yet, We have had foreign an British none faultless.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Laila Kreos: I looked at that model a long time ago. I was worried about payload, preferring twin rear wheels on a single axle.

Arapaho: I don’t like the fiat drag/tag axle motorhomes so I would rule that one out straight away.
EuroT's appreciate your precise comments. I'm kind of reduced to these two because they fit my needs and they are within budget. If there were only two motorhomes in the world, and you had a wooden leg (so you can't choose walking) which of the two would you have my friend?

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
I would go checkout the Autotrail, I’ve had one, they are superb machines. But you need to see how easy making the bed up is. The more confined and difficult the sooner disappointment sets in. A easy make bed and you are a winner. But first, ask to see the full service history?, how many owners?, any habitation checks. Where have they taken it on holiday. Then you need to see it and check everything works, ask what repairs and replacements have been done. If it’s changed hands lots of times you need to think why, if it’s not been serviced regularly by Fiat, (if it’s a Fiat) then why not, look at the inside of the oil cap if it’s anything other than black and a bit oily then worry, if it’s dry it’s been cleaned to hide problems, if it’s a soapy look there’s problems, ask when the cam belt was changed, I think it’s every 10 years 80k miles. if it’s mileage is high and they claim it’s only gone to Cornwall once a year? Mmm … you need to ask really friendly questions and analyse the answers. If anything seems far fetched it probably is best to walk away. It’s your money… tyres can be changed, engines can too but its £800 for tyres £8000+ an engine… just take great care, take someone with you, go have a coffee and talk about it privately. They want to sell they’ll be patient.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Gazgandalf

Here you are, well within your budget. You said earlier you could fix things so a few jobs to finish it off ...?? Might be worth you contacting the owner (who isn't me!! )

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Gazgandalf

Here you are, well within your budget. You said earlier you could fix things so a few jobs to finish it off ...?? Might be worth you contacting the owner (who isn't me!! )

This looks like a value for money vehicle if the mechanics are all fine. For me though, it's too large. I've had a Damon Challenger before and when it comes to the touring of France and wild camping it would be too big and costly to run. However MisterB - ideal for someone who wants one. Thanks for the suggestion ;)

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
I would go checkout the Autotrail, I’ve had one, they are superb machines. But you need to see how easy making the bed up is. The more confined and difficult the sooner disappointment sets in. A easy make bed and you are a winner. But first, ask to see the full service history?, how many owners?, any habitation checks. Where have they taken it on holiday. Then you need to see it and check everything works, ask what repairs and replacements have been done. If it’s changed hands lots of times you need to think why, if it’s not been serviced regularly by Fiat, (if it’s a Fiat) then why not, look at the inside of the oil cap if it’s anything other than black and a bit oily then worry, if it’s dry it’s been cleaned to hide problems, if it’s a soapy look there’s problems, ask when the cam belt was changed, I think it’s every 10 years 80k miles. if it’s mileage is high and they claim it’s only gone to Cornwall once a year? Mmm … you need to ask really friendly questions and analyse the answers. If anything seems far fetched it probably is best to walk away. It’s your money… tyres can be changed, engines can too but its £800 for tyres £8000+ an engine… just take great care, take someone with you, go have a coffee and talk about it privately. They want to sell they’ll be patient.
Thanks Poppy III, I need people's thoughts on either brand from experience of owning one or the other or knowing. someone who has had one. The rest is very good advice and I appreciate the time you've taken to respond to my plea. It's some distance from my home, so before I buy, I will send a local mobile motorhome mechanic to give it a check over and then send all the info, including a habitation check to me.
I asked "Motorhome Depot Derbyshire" if it had a habitation check. The answer was it was up to the customer to do that. Mmm. So, I'm interested in a car but I have to pay for the MOT? Hah!
So I guess I shall have to fork out some investment to see if it is value for money. I've seen a lot of 'lesser' M'homes selling for much more. So hopefully we shall all discover whether it's value or otherwise BEFORE I buy.

£800 for Tyres? I might try those heated tools which gouge out new treads :giggle:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
On suggestions I was looking yesterday at vans below £2250 and found half a dozen 6 birth vans that I thought worth asking price including a Rimor Superbrig £15995 with 40,000 ish miles2004 year. Looking at pics it was tidy but obviously needed to be seen. If you went to 4/5 berths then that opened up another couple of dozen bargain vans of various makes
Edit forgot to say I was on Auto trader

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
On suggestions I was looking yesterday at vans below £2250 and found half a dozen 6 birth vans that I thought worth asking price including a Rimor Superbrig £15995 with 40,000 ish miles2004 year. Looking at pics it was tidy but obviously needed to be seen. If you went to 4/5 berths then that opened up another couple of dozen bargain vans of various makes
Terry!! Two thousand pounds for a 6 berth? Wowza, I'm missing the biggest bargains of the year :oops: - kidding :giggle: I'm always making mistakes. Being all the way up in Cumbria, everywhere South of Manchester is a big old trek. Seen a beaut in South Wales, well looked after a high mileage Hymer, but would have been a 7 hour journey by train just to check it out. So I try to view as close to me as is poss.

Distance is just one of my bugbears/considerations Terry. I may have looked at the Super Brigg and shortlisted before choosing the Auto-trail and Laika. The interior of either of these looks great.

Thanks for taking the time to look at those Terry, I really do appreciate the time and effort people spend sending me information - even if I already know some of it, it is heartening to know what a good bunch the 'Funsters' are and how willing they are to help out if they can.

Right ... Rimor Superbrig @ £15,995 ... off to have another look, Cheers Terry :giggle:

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Thanks 'Sedge' I think with the arapaho something is amiss. I put it down to folk who buy campers but stay overnight somewhere local. I have a reply from Motorhomedepot on the habitation saying it would be up to the purchase to pay for one. I suppose that is like make a query about a car's mechanics - but paying for an MOT before you buy it. If it doesn't have seat belts I could always have them fitted I suppose. Unless my friends want to keep their kids fit by running behind? :giggle:

I've sent a message off querying the low miles so hopefully I'll hear about that and get the reg plate to do a history check. Thanks for your info Sedge - it's always useful to have questions posed, even if we think we know the answer. The Funsters here are a wealth of info. Cheers!

Forgive my stupidity 'rebbyvid' it says "Case number 1 — Creditors voluntary liquidation Commencement of winding up4 January 2023" but also "Next statement date 10 October 2023 due by 24 October 2023" This reads like Greek to me, but is it saying that the company is in liquidation but still selling and the last statement regarding their business will be 10:10:23 ? If so, how will this affect me? Well I did ask for forgiveness for my stupidity :LOL:

Thanks for posting me this rebbyvid, I wouldn't have know otherwise.

I'm a little late to the party but just so say (if it hasn't already been said or you don't already know) Motorhome depot do not sell motorhomes. They are an intermediary, bit like an estate agent. The seller will pay them a fee for advertising it.
They have been around a long time and as far as I am aware are a cochure and reliable business.

I would assume we'll my motorhome are similar.

Personally I wouldn't be worried about the eBay ads being scams as both motorhomes are advertised in various places including auto trader for one of them.

It ought to be possible to contact the sellers directly if you are concerned. It's always possible to do an eBay purchase away from eBay and treat it like a private sale.

I don't think motorhome depot or similar will give you any more security or comeback once the purchase has been done.

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
I never used to find Cumbria all that far away from most places. Time to get to a place depends on proximity to motorway and how busy the motorway/s (likelihood of jams). I can tell you that, assuming you are on the Westmorland side, therefore 10min from an often empty M6, you are never much more than two hours from every large city and town north of Birmingham (includes Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, all the north east, Manchester and all the Lancashire towns, Liverpool and merseyside, Birmingham, Nottingham, Derby, on a good day even Coventry and Leicester.

Traffic around Manchester and Birmingham dependent, also as little as 3 hours from anywhere in the UK north of London.

When I lived in Kendal I used to think it remote. It isn’t. I lived in central Kent the last 20years and you always need 2 hours, often 3, just to get to the other side of the M25 and escape the black hole traffic vortex that is London and South East.

Distances might be shorter. Times to get anywhere most definitely are not.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back