Please ... help me choose .. I'm stuck (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Between M'home :-(
Exp
Since the late 80's
I'm a little late to the party but just so say (if it hasn't already been said or you don't already know) Motorhome depot do not sell motorhomes. They are an intermediary, bit like an estate agent. The seller will pay them a fee for advertising it.
They have been around a long time and as far as I am aware are a cochure and reliable business.

I would assume we'll my motorhome are similar.

Personally I wouldn't be worried about the eBay ads being scams as both motorhomes are advertised in various places including auto trader for one of them.

It ought to be possible to contact the sellers directly if you are concerned. It's always possible to do an eBay purchase away from eBay and treat it like a private sale.

I don't think motorhome depot or similar will give you any more security or comeback once the purchase has been done.
Thanks VXman - Yes, as I understand they are an intermediary and 'introducer.' I've read their blurb so I realise that there is no warranty/guarantee promised. Everyday I'm reporting scams to E-bay. Surely they could afford to pay someone to clear up their act. Mind You, even Facebook are at it. Stolen ID's advertising someone else's van. What I don't understand is, many of these 'fakers' don't even ask for money, they won't even respond to 'Contact.' So we have some very bored seller dwelling people with nothing better to do or they have a grievance against E-Bay or Facebook.

I've been in contact with Motor Home Depot in Derbyshire. When I finally decide, as I have said in the previous comment, I'll send a Motorhome Mechanic/Habitation Checker round and he can 'sound out' the situation.

Thanks for you time VXMan. ALL help appreciated :giggle:

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Sell my motorhome are also advertising as a broker , and for someone who has gone into liquidation a few time i would keep well clear. Look at his selling feedback 8 comments and all more than a year ago. Also on Facebook

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Auto trader Bessecarr E795 6berth £21500 from a dealership 2004 55000 miles Bessie’s were top of the range Swifts at the time 👍 Also made before Swifts had rotten floor problems in 2005/6/7

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Sell my motorhome are also advertising as a broker , and for someone who has gone into liquidation a few time i would keep well clear. Look at his selling feedback 8 comments and all more than a year ago. Also on Facebook

Very interesting rebbyvid, although if it checks out mechanically and habitationally (?) the motorhome could still be a good buy.

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
I have the Comanche same size as this one, the only thing worth consdering in my opinion would be get one with a fixed rear bed. It would be such a pain having to make up the bed every day.
I have to agree re fixed island bed, of all the beds in motorhomes a island fixed bed has to be the easiest to make ( I have made an earlier comment re octopus, red bull, wings etc needed to make a bed) but that changed today) the beauty is that you can have your privacy, grin in and out with out waking the lovely next to you and zzzz sound as a bug because they are also the most comfortable…

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Hymer B534 A class in Glasgow 55000 mls ÂŁ18995 5 berth đź‘ŤLHD
Thanks Terry. I had a look again at this earlier today then remembered the seats are side facing even though it has 4 belts. I didn't know that was legal.

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Auto trader Bessecarr E795 6berth £21500 from a dealership 2004 55000 miles Bessie’s were top of the range Swifts at the time 👍 Also made before Swifts had rotten floor problems in 2005/6/7
Great minds think alike - you've chosen two that were on my short list, again, this one is in Ireland, an even longer trip than down South. It does look a very tidy M Home though.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks Terry. I had a look again at this earlier today then remembered the seats are side facing even though it has 4 belts. I didn't know that was legal.
The seats are the forward facing stubby bit of the L shape 👍lots of vans have them you simply lift out a small bit of plywood and seat cushion that leaves you two forward belted seats. As to side seats because it’s made before 2007/8 you can carry people without belts on the side seats. In fact you cannot fit 3way belts to side seats.

Jul 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Lunar Newstar 58L
Exp
Newb
Hi All,

I've just read this full thread, lots of info, views and opinions. (it was a long read, I'll be short)

1. If you want to lend it out, lend it, you know the risks
2. Check the belted seats for capacity, mine's a 4 berth but only 2 belts
3. Fiat and Merc should be easy mechanical upkeep

But the biggest thing which swings it, without question, to the Autotrail Arapaho, is the door, the hab door is on the correct side. I know some sites get fussy about this, some get fussy about tag wheels, no problem, use another site.

But for me, when stopping on a road, it makes exiting the vehicle via that door unsafe. I wont consider a euro spec hab door right now because I'm not using in europe, this may change, but I'd have to using it mostly in Europe for me to choose a moho with a hab door on the off-side.

Si

OP
OP
Gazgandalf
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since the late 80's
Hi All,

I've just read this full thread, lots of info, views and opinions. (it was a long read, I'll be short)

1. If you want to lend it out, lend it, you know the risks
2. Check the belted seats for capacity, mine's a 4 berth but only 2 belts
3. Fiat and Merc should be easy mechanical upkeep

But the biggest thing which swings it, without question, to the Autotrail Arapaho, is the door, the hab door is on the correct side. I know some sites get fussy about this, some get fussy about tag wheels, no problem, use another site.

But for me, when stopping on a road, it makes exiting the vehicle via that door unsafe. I wont consider a euro spec hab door right now because I'm not using in europe, this may change, but I'd have to using it mostly in Europe for me to choose a moho with a hab door on the off-side.

Si
Thanks Siblo, that was the kind of 'positives' I was looking for and I like your point 1: "If you want to, lend it out, you know the risks" I have loaned in the past and all the comments have kind of put me off, but I'm not precious about the things I have or own. Doors on the correct side, another excellent point, which wasn't on my list originally but if I carry kids, would be a concern - or, I could just lock them up inside :giggle: Thanks Siblo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back