Would you travel without a spare wheel (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
with newer cars and even some Motorhomes now not coming with a spare wheel and just the puncture repair kit, would you chance it..?

This is of course if you have good breakdown cover where someone would come out and either fix, take wheel way to fix or lift you to a tyre depot...

Bearing in mind I wouldn't want to be on the hard shoulder jacking up 4ton luging wheels around anyway so I would call the breakdown cover...

So would you travel with out a spare..? Especially abroad...

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
We picked up our new M/H last August, it only came with the tyre gunk. First proper trip away was a two week tour to Scotland. On the first night of our two week break, we picked up a bolt in the O/S front tyre; to say I was gutted was an understatement!
I was reluctant to use the gunk as not sure whether it would last the trip, initial research revealed that a tyre would have to be ordered and being a Friday, it meant one wouldn't be available until the following Tuesday!
Fortunately, we were at a Britstop pub just outside Stoke and they couldn't have been more helpful. By the end of the night we had details of a guy that could look to repair our tyre first thing in the morning. Sure enough, a repair was possible and we were on our way.
However, following this experience and in preparation for our French trip in June, I now have a spare wheel(y)

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
theres no way i would travel without a spare wheel .when we bought the Arto we paid the extra for the spare wheel .peace of mind.:)(y)
Brian & Jo

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
No
I bought a spare when off EBay and a long handle wrench so I could undo the wheel nuts.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Our Hobby van doesn't have one.
I expect its to keep the payload down , does anyone know how much a tyre and wheel weighs please?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Our Hobby van doesn't have one.
I expect its to keep the payload down , does anyone know how much a tyre and wheel weighs please?
I reckon about 20kg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
All Yes and No.

I spent lots of years riding motorcycles without a spare wheel, We have a Smart Roadster and no spare wheel, we have a BMW that came with "run flats" but didn't like them so changed to "proper tyres" so again no spare wheel only a plug kit, gunge kit and compressor.

The motorhome does have a spare wheel and I can get it off and get the wheels off as we have Hydraulics jacks built in which makes it dead easy. We did have a puncture in an inside back tyre a few years ago and before the hydraulic jacks, I really didn't fancy jacking it up with a bottle jack and taking both back wheels off in a howling gale on Calais see front so I bottled it and found a tyre place in Calais, drove in and 10 minutes later drove out after pulling out a 8mm bolt and sticking a plug in the hole, I was so impressed with the plug idea that I bought one to carry in the motorhome for a quick fix and subsequently the one for the car.

Martin

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Currently I don't have one, but may look into taking one when we travel to Europe during Easter. Anyone got a 225/75 R 16 CP going cheap?(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Deffo want a spare. Breakdown man comes (other sexual orientations are available) jacks up, changes wheel and your gone.
No spare, you ring up, have to explain you only have a can of gunk and your tyres shredded, tell them size, tell them it's a Moho, in French/Spanish/Portugese etc and let's be honest it takes you all your time to speak the Queens engerlish 'cos your a bladdey suvvener!
Choice, wait for spare wheel to be put on or wait for someone to source a tyre. The difference could be a day of your life and at your age every day is precious.

Just sayin....:imoutahere:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I reckon about 20kg

Robert if this was a GTW (guess the weight) you wouldn't win, I have just been out to the garage with bathroom scales and weighed a 16 inch steel wheel with 225 75 16 camping tyre and,

32.55 kg OK a smaller wheel and smaller tyre would be less, my Conti foursesons would be a lot more as they have mega thick side walls.

Martin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Robert if this was a GTW (guess the weight) you wouldn't win, I have just been out to the garage with bathroom scales and weighed a 16 inch steel wheel with 225 75 16 camping tyre and,

32.55 kg OK a smaller wheel and smaller tyre would be less, my Conti foursesons would be a lot more as they have mega thick side walls.

Martin
Maybe mine are filled with hydrogen?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No never, had a couple of tyres blow out on caravans what was left of them a tube of gunk wouldn't fix. Also in France & Spain if they can't find a tyre of the same type as on your van they will insist you buy two so they are the same on the same axle.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Our BMW came without a spare wheel/tyre, drove to Turkey and back 3 times with only a plug kit, gunge kit and compressor. Last year took the motorhome (which has no spare wheel/tyre) over to Italy and will be going over to Greece and Bulgaria this year. Can't see a problem if you have a reputable breakdown/recovery service.

Pete

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
If you're worried about the weight of the spare wheel - take just a compatible tyre - which obviously weighs less than wheel with tyre combined.

Getting a spare tyre, whether in the UK or abroad, can be a pain in the butt as many tyre depots don't stock motorhome tyres and you could be stuck for many hours, even days, while they source one for you.

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Don't have a spare and nowhere to put one. Also weight an issue. Perhaps might think about carrying a spare tyre, in addition to the one around my waist. I would always call the breakdown service anyway.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
From previous experiences with punctures in moho and cars I wouldn't want to risk not having a spare wheel.

I bought three spare wheels & tyres last year ... New moho (Hymer T668SL) also new toad ( Peugeot 108) and my son's new V40 Volvo ... all of which had the gunk packs supplied.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Question is how often do you get a puncture that can't simply be inflated and then drive to a tyre place for repair? For me its about one in ten/fifteen years. (Oh dear about due for one)

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
Our BMW came without a spare wheel/tyre, drove to Turkey and back 3 times with only a plug kit, gunge kit and compressor. Last year took the motorhome (which has no spare wheel/tyre) over to Italy and will be going over to Greece and Bulgaria this year. Can't see a problem if you have a reputable breakdown/recovery service.

Pete

The problem is, as Keith Chesterfield says, tyre depots don´t carry motorhome spare tyres. When we had a puncture in England, fitted spare wheel and tried in vain to obtain a replacement tyre before we left for the Tunell, were quoted 3 days everywhere. Same in France and Spain. So unless you want to be stuck on a garage forecourt for at least 3 days, it makes sense to carry a spare.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We travelled all over the continent for five years in our Chausson, which had no spare, or anywhere to put one. Fortunately, without incident.

Would have much preferred to have one; and when we changed the van to a Rapido last summer made sure it came with a spare. (y)

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
A few years ago we were on an Aire in France and a fellow Brit pointed out that my front tyre looked 'a bit low'.

It had a slow puncture, a nail was in it, and between us we changed the wheel in a few minutes.

I took the tyre to a local garage and they repaired the tyre, charged €10, and we were on our way in no time.

If we hadn't had a spare wheel we could have been standing around for hours, or possibly much longer, waiting for a recovery vehicle.

Calling the recovery people should be your last thought not your first as they are very thin on the ground at weekends and the frequent public holidays (especially in France) and your, and certainly mine, lack of foreign language skills to summon the recovery may also delay their response.

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Travel with a spare, then it won't be needed. Travel without ......................................!!!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back