Wintering (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
As we were away this weekend, at Ledgowan Lodge at Achnasheen, the weather was very cold, -2 with wind chill at -7, high (ish) winds and snow/sleet.
The van was surprisingly warm, especially after being out on the hills, we left the heating on setting 2/3 whilst wild camping but when it did come on it was only for 20 to 30 seconds.
I had to get up in the night and turn the heating down to 1 as it was too warm, the dog usually complains and tries to get into bed with us but not this time, the B class must be better insulated than the T class we had before.
We put our Hindermann screen thermal covers on and they must have made a difference with only a slight amount of condensation on the windows.

We soooo love our B544.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Aha !!
The B544 is an A class....built totally on a naked chassis upwards.
B class is panel van conversion
C Class is a standard cab and chassis with a converters rear body.

I think you misinterpret the model letter B as the body type designation letter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We found the same our last van an A Class Exsis was noticeably warmer than the Tramp we had before. The current van a B Class Dynamic Line was a real surprise with the inner wall aluminium it is very noticeable how much better it holds the heat and both the A Class vans have heating vents between the front blind and the screen making external screens unnecessary (unless in ski land).

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
As from Lenny plus we have found that the heating set at 16 is great and that hot water retains it temp.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
As from Lenny plus we have found that the heating set at 16 is great and that hot water retains it temp.
16 thats freezing ours set to 18 first thing and 21-22 in the evening. Have you setup the offset to compensate for the sensor being high up above the door?

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
You must have newer heater settings, we only have the older two dial 1 - 5 for heat, but as you say the water gets very hot and seems to stay the way.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You must have newer heater settings, we only have the older two dial 1 - 5 for heat, but as you say the water gets very hot and seems to stay the way.
Heater is the same just the controller the CP Plus. Digital display temperature can be set O to 30deg and it has a timer.
You can retro fit the CP Plus, I fitted one on my last van well worth it controls the heating much better than the Classic controller. If your Combi says CP Plus you can just plug in a new controller they are about £250, if not you can but a kit with a new PCD for the heater that's a bit expensive I think £375.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
16 thats freezing ours set to 18 first thing and 21-22 in the evening. Have you setup the offset to compensate for the sensor being high up above the door?
Not sure what you mean by offset Lenny? The van seems quite warm at that temp, we give it a boost on occasion to get up to temp and I wear a vest! I find being able to set times for on/off automatically is great.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not sure what you mean by offset Lenny? The van seems quite warm at that temp, we give it a boost on occasion to get up to temp and I wear a vest! I find being able to set times for on/off automatically is great.
On the controller there is an "offset" setting I set mine up so that the temperature in the centre of the lounge matches the temp on the display. Otherwise the conroller will read the temp above the door which will be hotter than the centre of the lounge, so the controller reads 20 but in reality it is 18 where you are sitting.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
On the controller there is an "offset" setting I set mine up so that the temperature in the centre of the lounge matches the temp on the display. Otherwise the conroller will read the temp above the door which will be hotter than the centre of the lounge, so the controller reads 20 but in reality it is 18 where you are sitting.
Thanks, I’ll have a look for that

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back