Winter Motorhome Sites Costa Del Sol (5 Viewers)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Life is just going to get less flexible on the travel front

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
Lets imagine that 10 000 Brit MHs normally go to Spain for the winter and spend €100 per day [is this stretching the imagination?]. That amounts to €1M per day.

Say they normally stay for 4 months = 120 days.
WHEN restricted to 90 days, Spain loses €30M.
In 2019 Spain's GDP was approx $1.4trillion. [approx €95 000 000M]

WHO thinks that amount will be significant, even given the loss to the economy caused by Covid-19?
For those who do, will it be sufficiently significant to go against every other Schengen country (except perhaps Portugal) and allow Brits to stay longer than every other third-country resident?

Reality needs to make an appearance at some point! :rolleyes:

Gordon
Your maths is impeccable ? I suppose it all palls into insignificance compared to the £10 Billion net we won’t be paying Into EU coffers and even that palls into insignificance when compared to the €500 Billion ! The EU have already agreed to supply plus the extra €500 Billion ! that Merkel just today has agreed to borrow and put into EU coffers to give grants to all the EU states for Covid losses a lot of which the UK being the second richest member would have had to contribute too had we not left the EU. I think that’s erm € 1 trillion ! Reckon we had a lucky escape !

Even the Snowbirds and their wine consumption wouldn’t make up for that ?

davethespark

Free Member
Apr 6, 2016
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Just looking befor buying
Exp
Did a three week grand tour of Spain
Camping BellaVista, Manilva. Between Gibraltar and Estepona . Ticks all the boxes . Expensive but good discounts for long stays

Ian.s

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
Oban
Funster No
MH
Rs Endeavour
Exp
Since 1991
I think you will be restricted to three months I'm afraid.
Should be ok to stay up to the end of December. Then we will be out of the EU and then stay three months after, That should take you to take you to March. Travel ban lifted of course

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
KYHD works for me, if anyone asks why have you been 180 days in EU, I will explain I've been in Andorra..

Alas I think Andorra is part of the Shengen group, I thought of Andorra and Monaco but was told neither would work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Should be ok to stay up to the end of December. Then we will be out of the EU and then stay three months after, That should take you to take you to March. Travel ban lifted of course

Not if your passport is logged electronically as entering earlier. You may have to exit somewhere and re-enter.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Ah yes... my mistake....3 months in Morocco and 2 months in Spain...even better....more money for Morocco less for Spain....or have a PROPER holiday and 3 months in each minus 1 week in Spain to shoot across France...even less money for them ?. Wonder if the French and Spanish will start to think “what have we done” and put pressure on their EU masters to entice back the Brits with “stay as long as you like, just bring your money” ?. Maybe...maybe not.
Hi Hymerbell,
I hope you're right.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
This might be useful ?

That’s great but it just goes to show the desire and desperate need of the overbearing EU to make something as complicated as possible when something simple would do. How about you are allowed to spend 6 months in Schengen in a calendar year in max 3 month stints ( or is that what they are saying)...Or even easier you can spend 6 months in Schengen in any one calendar year... Why make something easy when complicated will do ?

Or more controversially we owe the free lives we live today to the Brits (and others)...let them come and go as they please as a Big Thank You...?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I don’t see it as complicated to understand . It has been like this for all non EU citizens so nothing special just for Brits . It is just the U.K. has chosen to join that group .
I am guessing you are talking about the war should give U.K. citizens the right to special consideration ? Does that also include Australians , New Zealander’s , Canadians etc . I don’t hear them complaining . A friend of my daughter in Australia came to France with her family jumping through the visa hoops without complaint . I have to get a visa to visit my daughter in Australia . Do you think I shouldn’t have to because I have British nationality ?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
That’s great but it just goes to show the desire and desperate need of the overbearing EU to make something as complicated as possible when something simple would do. How about you are allowed to spend 6 months in Schengen in a calendar year in max 3 month stints ( or is that what they are saying)...Or even easier you can spend 6 months in Schengen in any one calendar year... Why make something easy when complicated will do ?

Or more controversially we owe the free lives we live today to the Brits (and others)...let them come and go as they please as a Big Thank You...?

I don't think you understand. You've had all this in the past and have now given it away. You're moving into regulations that already exist for non EU members, it's not something being implemented to punish the Brits.

As residents in Spain, with no vote, we've also had to look at how our lives will change.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If things get back to anywhere near normal then you may find the Camping Club usefull, have a look at their Winter Rally Sites. Don’t let the fact that it’s a rally put you off but they hold quite a few of the pitches on the main sites and you can get a better deal.

There is one site in Portugal that does not accept bookings for the Winter unless they are done via the CCC.
I've tried, ringing them, emailing them, calling in and offering to pay for more than a month in advance but they will not allow you in as a long termer except through the Club.
That site is Ria Formosa in Tavira.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
I don’t see it as complicated to understand . It has been like this for all non EU citizens so nothing special just for Brits . It is just the U.K. has chosen to join that group .
I am guessing you are talking about the war should give U.K. citizens the right to special consideration ? Does that also include Australians , New Zealander’s , Canadians etc . I don’t hear them complaining . A friend of my daughter in Australia came to France with her family jumping through the visa hoops without complaint . I have to get a visa to visit my daughter in Australia . Do you think I shouldn’t have to because I have British nationality ?
I’m not complaining....quite happy with the rules...just think they could make it a bit simpler...but I suppose it keeps a lot more European Commission pen pushers and bureaucrats on the runaway gravy train.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I’m not complaining....quite happy with the rules...just think they could make it a bit simpler...but I suppose it keeps a lot more European Commission pen pushers and bureaucrats on the runaway gravy train.
No just border force ! Don’t think pen pushers are involved . Here the gendarmes and douanes at borders and they are always there !

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
I don't think you understand. You've had all this in the past and have now given it away. You're moving into regulations that already exist for non EU members, it's not something being implemented to punish the Brits.

As residents in Spain, with no vote, we've also had to look at how our lives will change.
I think you’ll find that European Commission thinking is exactly that....punish the Brits so other states think twice or thrice about leaving...many of whom if they were rich enough would leave in an instant !

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
If you
No just border force ! Don’t think pen pushers are involved . Here the gendarmes and douanes at borders and they are always there !
If you think it’s just a couple of guys in caps on the border controlling movement of people rather than an army of bureaucrats and unelected gravey train European Commissioners on massive EU pensions after 5 years service then you’re delusional ?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
If you

If you think it’s just a couple of guys in caps on the border controlling movement of people rather than an army of bureaucrats and unelected gravey train European Commissioners on massive EU pensions after 5 years service then you’re delusional ?
There really is no answer to that ! Next time you cross remember to ask for a bureaucrat at the border .
I think calling me delusional is somewhat insulting .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Ah yes... my mistake....3 months in Morocco and 2 months in Spain...even better....more money for Morocco less for Spain....or have a PROPER holiday and 3 months in each minus 1 week in Spain to shoot across France...even less money for them ?. Wonder if the French and Spanish will start to think “what have we done” and put pressure on their EU masters to entice back the Brits with “stay as long as you like, just bring your money” ?. Maybe...maybe not.
Nothing decided yet.BUSBY.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
There really is no answer to that ! Next time you cross remember to ask for a bureaucrat at the border .
I think calling me delusional is somewhat insulting .
My apologies for the insult....I was called a Little Englander Gammon on this site the other day.? (Yes you know who you are ?) it’s all just banter and opinions in the end. Anyone who doesn’t have an opinion is a bit boring in my opinion. Maybe I’ll stick to MH tyre pressures for a bit ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I disagree: spend 90 days in Spain; spend 91 days in Morocco.
Count back 180 days - you've only been in Schengen for 89 days. [89; 91]
Next day count back 180 days - you've still only been in Schengen for 89 days. [88; 91:1]
Next day count back 180 days - you've still only been in Schengen for 89 days. [87; 91:2]

And so it goes on until you've been "in" for 89 days when you definitely have to leave again.

Visa requirements may complicate the matter, but that remains to be seen.

Gordon
(y)& Good luck explaining that on the side of the road.:giggle:
KYHD works for me, if anyone asks why have you been 180 days in EU, I will explain I've been in Andorra..
Doesn't count. As an "EU landlocked " state counts as the EU.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
All these figures are making my brain hurt, ? those sums are not just lost income from winter motorhomers that can't stop the extra three months. ?
Many motorhomes end up parking on waste land or on the side of roads because all the sites are full. ?
We have often thought shall we go off in the camper over winter, catch up with friends but it's so busy we don't bother, it's quite nice in May weathers more reliable and pleasant once the crowd have gone. ? Bob.

Jim lea

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Thought it was simple, will just take bit of getting used to, that’s all

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
(y)& Good luck explaining that on the side of the road.:giggle:

I would hope not to be explaining it on the side of the road!
I would also hope not to be explaining it on the side of the dock (or other border)!

At the border I would expect my passport to be scanned, the great computer in the sky to work out that I'd been for "in" for [2 days], "out" for [91 days] and finally "in" for [87 days] so would immediately throw up a green flag. The operative would then wish me a good day, perhaps even saying "you're leaving just in time".

IF required to explain at the roadside then I suspect my fluent Spanish of "dos cervezas por favor" wouldn't get me very far :oops: . However, I do maintain an electronic diary (Excel) of where I am [AND, of course, my MHFun journal] so I would show the person in authority where I was on a day-to-day basis and we could count them together. [MEMO to me: colour code each entry on a country-by-country basis!]

HOWEVER, for those thinking that Schengen rules will be waived just for them ought to be considering how they will cope when they are, in fact, just going to be applied fairly and uniformly.

TBH we never go away for more than 5 weeks at a time, so this doesn't affect us in the slightest ;)

Gordon

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I spend about 60% of the year inside the Schengen area. I suspect I may need to buy a €10 visa every three years or so....… No big deal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back