Wing Mirror camera?

Likes collected
Funster No
Does anyone know if motorhomes can legally have the same camera wing mirrors that a lot of new HGV cabs are sporting?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have read that they may be non-legal if they replace the wing mirrors entirely unless they remain working when the ignition is off (or until the vehicle is locked). The reasoning is that if they are not working when the ignition is off a driver will not be able to check (in a wing mirror) for passing traffic or a cyclist before opening the vehicle's door. :unsure:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The3mens
Likes collected
Funster No
I have read that they may be non-legal if they replace the wing mirrors entirely unless they remain working when the ignition is off (or until the vehicle is locked). The reasoning is that if they are not working when the ignition is off a driver will not be able to check (in a wing mirror) for passing traffic or a cyclist before opening the vehicle's door. :unsure:
Ah! Had not thought about that! Makes sense. Thanks

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The simple answer is yes they are legal, if they are a proper system as fitted to some new motorhomes, in the not too distant future I believe that there will be retrofit systems available with all the required approval but don't know if they will be DIY fit.

Upvote 0

Nana

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar campscout
Exp
7 years
We had omni view van 360 degree cameras fitted on our MH. You could view all around the van through the rear view mirror. It was brilliant, no blind spots no worrying on roundabouts etc and you didn’t lose the use of the wing mirrors. We purchased from Trailervision.co.uk they fitted it at our home. They might have information on the system you require.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
I'm told that type approval requirements will probably do for cameras on existing motorhomes. The cameras may be OK but the van must still have wing mirrors unless the camera man goes through through the paperwork to get the proper type approval. The cameras may work on A-classes and PVCs but probably not where the body is wider than the cab,

My son has more than 5 cameras in his new Iveco van. Three of them feed screens in the van on the left pillar, the right pillar and the centre as traditional. The other two or more buzz to warn of danger. He still has wing mirrors to comply with the type approval.

If in doubt, ask an MOT station. I'm no expert.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
Winnebago fits them to their Travato in the States. The Ram is the same as the Ducato with CKD kits shipped from Italy to Mexico where the Ram is assembled. I'm not sure what the camera is for; driving aid or discreet cctv when parked? This is not a replacement for the wing mirror but an add-on so probably not what you're looking for.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back