Windscreen Armageddon (3 Viewers)

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Drove through the deepest Spanish countryside yesterday for three hours and the front of the van looks like an insect charnel house .
What’s the collective wisdom re cleaning the mess off ( promise not to use the freshwater hose 🤣🤣🤣) , clean the screen and leave the rest ( as it’s only gonna get blitzed again ) or clean the whole of the front ?
I’m loath to be cleaning when I could be cycling or drinking wine as I have to keep reminding myself I’m on holiday !
Cheers !

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Drove through the deepest Spanish countryside yesterday for three hours and the front of the van looks like an insect charnel house .
What’s the collective wisdom re cleaning the mess off ( promise not to use the freshwater hose 🤣🤣🤣) , clean the screen and leave the rest ( as it’s only gonna get blitzed again ) or clean the whole of the front ?
I’m loath to be cleaning when I could be cycling or drinking wine as I have to keep reminding myself I’m on holiday !
Cheers !
I’d like an heads up on this too ,fed up using a lump hammer and bolster to get the buggers off🤪

OP
OP
P
Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
It’s currently raining in not so sunny Spain so they are softening up nicely ! 💡👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Clean using a long handle bug window scraper and a bucket of water..

. . it has a nylon pad to shift the bugs and a smooth blade to wipe dry,

as said, do it every time you stop .. find these in truck stops , motorway service areas.. etc

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Anecdotal evidence suggests 'Baby wipes'

Lets face it, if it removes s**t from their little crevices, it'll be
a doddle at removing fly excrement.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Give it a good deep clean and clay bar then treat with a glass sealer/wax of your choice such as rain-x or similar.

I’ve not used the mix in this video but it looks like it would solve your dilemma…

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Use either neat screen wash, meths (don't drink it all) or white spirits windscreen only. Soak kitchen paper towel in water leave on bodywork for stubborn insects leave 10 to 15 minutes then wash of with clean kitchen paper towel.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
on a different note...

we noticed (UK) that there are fewer and fewer bugs on the windscreen now .. hardly any these days, a sad reflection on our way of life .. not a good omen for our survival ..

would be much happier with 'bug armageddon' to deal with.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
on a different note...

we noticed (UK) that there are fewer and fewer bugs on the windscreen now .. hardly any these days, a sad reflection on our way of life .. not a good omen for our survival ..

Could it be they are evolving and finally figured out the roads lead to imminent death

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Could it be they are evolving and finally figured out the roads lead to imminent death
if only...

more likely being slaughtered by chemical weed and fertiliser spraying, water and air pollution ..

Insect populations are in crisis.

Recent studies paint a grim picture of the decline of insects across the planet. A well-publicised review recently concluded that current rates of decline could lead to the extinction of 41% of the world’s insect species over the next few decades. Butterflies, moths, bees, wasps, and dung beetles are amongst the most at risk, along with freshwater insects such as stoneflies, caddisflies and mayflies. A small number of unfussy, very mobile and pollutant-tolerant species are able to cope with the damage that humans are doing to our planet. These generalist species are replacing the rich diversity of species that make up the fabric of life on Earth.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
on a different note...

Totally agree Jim, but not on my windscreen 😎
Phil

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Usually we wait for the next morning in case there's a dew - that softens them up nicely. If not, then we use a spray bottle of diluted car shampoo we keep in the MH...doesn't seem to matter if you've left them to dry for a few days or if they're fresh, the shampoo gets them off easily.

OP
OP
P
Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
IMG_2069.jpeg

Better ! 💡👍

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Do what I do, just avoid them. Saying that, plod has stopped me 19 times and breath tested me. No worries I don't drink. Saves the insects and the planet and it keeps plod on their toes ;)

OP
OP
P
Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
We were crossing over into Extramadura and the sound of the bugs on the van was like mini hailstones! Off to Montanchez tmoz and only 50 mins so might get bug lucky !

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
Cheers !
Motorcyclists find the same problem with their helmet visors getting splattered with kamikaze bugs
after many years of boking found a simple and free fix (like freebies)
just cover the bugged area with a wet cloth, old blanket or towel, leave for 10 minutes to soak and soften the buggers
and you can wipe them off amazingly seay, just try it and see.

Gazgandalf

Free Member
Apr 25, 2023
Furness, UK
Funster No
MH
Between M'home :-(
Exp
Since the late 80's
Cheers !
Paddy, I Might be a bit late now, but Infinity Wax Diamond Vision is a great product. About £12 from fleabay. Wipe on, allow it 'cure' 10 mins and then polish off. Not only will it make washing off bugs a doddle, but it is water repellant so wipers are not overly taxed in a downpour, vision is clearer and it improves wiper longevity and effectiveness. (Not a salesman :LOL:). A damp tissue should then sort out the bugs. One bottle will last you years.

In regard to body work, something with 'silicone' in it will be best. Waxes are great for shine and depth of colour. But the modern silicones can be better and easier for M'Home (non-metal parts) bodywork. Turtle Wax 53139 Hybrid Sealant Car Wax (£10) will cover your van with a shine and silky protection ... and enough left over to keep for 'top-ups.' This stuff doesn't get easier. Spray - Wipe - turn cloth - wipe off! Hope that helps in the future Paddy.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I assumed that all car cleaning detergents would be pretty similar. I had some pound shop car shampoo in the van to do quick cleans while we're on tour. It was a chore to scrub the bug guts off. When it ran out, I got a random brand stuff from a German supermarket. Cheap, but still a few times more expensive than the Poundland special. I needed substantially less soap and the bugs melted off...

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
on a different note...

In the past it was extremely noticeable, expecially along a stretch of the M4 close to a lake. Lots of bug splatter every trip.

All sorts of insectivore bird and bat species have declined as well. :(

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
if only...

more likely being slaughtered by chemical weed and fertiliser spraying, water and air pollution ..

Insect populations are in crisis.

Recent studies paint a grim picture of the decline of insects across the planet. A well-publicised review recently concluded that current rates of decline could lead to the extinction of 41% of the world’s insect species over the next few decades. Butterflies, moths, bees, wasps, and dung beetles are amongst the most at risk, along with freshwater insects such as stoneflies, caddisflies and mayflies. A small number of unfussy, very mobile and pollutant-tolerant species are able to cope with the damage that humans are doing to our planet. These generalist species are replacing the rich diversity of species that make up the fabric of life on Earth.

The bit I disagree with is "... and air pollution" as an alleged cause. That looks unscientific. Green twaddle.

When I was a lad, and air pollution from all causes including coal fires and exhaust emissions was far worse than current low levels, the insect populations thrived. Butterflies and moths were abundant and their caterpillars could be found in every hedgerow. Try searching for caterpillars today.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I assumed that all car cleaning detergents would be pretty similar. I had some pound shop car shampoo in the van to do quick cleans while we're on tour. It was a chore to scrub the bug guts off. When it ran out, I got a random brand stuff from a German supermarket. Cheap, but still a few times more expensive than the Poundland special. I needed substantially less soap and the bugs melted off...
We've always had good results with Simoniz Car Shampoo - a big bottle lasts ages.

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
Motorcyclists find the same problem with their helmet visors getting splattered with kamikaze bugs
after many years of biking found a simple and free fix (like freebies)
just cover the bugged area with a wet cloth, old blanket or towel, leave for 10 minutes to soak and soften the buggers
and you can wipe them off amazingly easily, just try it and see.

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wait until you see a jet wash then zap the buggers. I’m afraid it’s a bit like painting the Forth bridge so the less energy you use the better.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I drove for a travel company with 150 VW T5/6.

We had a supply of Autosmart G101, which I have since bought.

Wet the screen, spray a 50% dilution on, wait 5 mins and brush/rinse off.

Easy/peasy. Bees' knees - takes those off too:LOL:

[You have to buy in quantity on-line, or through reps delivered to door. 5Lt can I bought 21 years ago is still 1/2 full ]

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
I drove for a travel company with 150 VW T5/6.

We had a supply of Autosmart G101, which I have since bought.

Wet the screen, spray a 50% dilution on, wait 5 mins and brush/rinse off.

Easy/peasy. Bees' knees - takes those off too:LOL:
Is it safe to use on painted surfaces too?

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi folks. I use a bucket with plain water and a cloth every couple of days. I like to keep the whole van clean. By doing this frequently it is easy. It takes about one episode of the Archers to go over the whole van. First water, then wipe off with a dry cloth. It means the bugs are kept at bay and the van looks good when arriving to a site, or border.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back