LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Went to fill up the Motorhome LPG, and found that at least three of our usual places had just disappeared around the Ipswich area - usual fuel still there, but now no Autogas LPG pumps!

Had a look at their latest map here and found out that they all seem to have gone, we are now left with only two, and we used to have about six in the area.

Does anybody know what is going on? Just being nosy, as we have to drive into Ipswich for our one remaining pump of two left 30 miles around us: Not much fun in a Hymer S700.

Cheers

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It’s because LPG cars are on the decline so it will be a bigger problem in the future

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Went to fill up the Motorhome LPG, and found that at least three of our usual places had just disappeared around the Ipswich area - usual fuel still there, but now no Autogas LPG pumps!

Had a look at their latest map here and found out that they all seem to have gone, we are now left with only two, and we used to have about six in the area.

Does anybody know what is going on? Just being nosy, as we have to drive into Ipswich for our one remaining pump of two left 30 miles around us: Not much fun in a Hymer S700.

Cheers

The only two worth using because they are easily the cheapest are Morrisons and the garage at the bottom Crane hill, both still there. if your talking about the two at Woodbridge never used them, way to dear compared to the other two.
Don't know of any others.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So what happens to diesel heating when diesel cars disappear in a few years?
Diesel will be around for a LONG time to come.

Trucks, buses, trains, farm vehicles etc.
Red diesel is only road diesel with dye added to identify it for tax purposes.
Yes, there are alternative fuels... but not all hauliers, transport operators and farmers can afford to convert or replace their vehicles.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
LPG cars were the green fuel of the future many years ago. But it never really took off. Lack of demand as the garage's kit wears out why would they want to incur expense to maintain or replace?

But it will be a problem for the MH user. Many now have integral gas tanks for the heating / cooking, etc. And then there is the gaslow type refillable bottles. Where will we get our refills, or do we have to rip these systems out and find ways to go old school and back to returnable bottles?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
There is some hope on the horizon - the fall from grace of diesel cars has made the manufacture of LPG kits to convert the most recent petrol cars become economic again, the chap who converted and services my LPG car tells me that it seems to be on the up again. Emissions zones coming in, punishing diesel cars, could be an extra boost for LPG once again.

After all, I can drive into the new London Ultra Low Emissions Zone for free in my 4.2 litre, V8 car. I'd get charged if I used my 750cc motorbike :confused:

OP
OP
cbrookson

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
The only two worth using because they are easily the cheapest are Morrisons and the garage at the bottom Crane hill, both still there. if your talking about the two at Woodbridge never used them, way to dear compared to the other two.
Don't know of any others.

The one on the A140/ A14 junction has closed (which was our usual), the one on the Norwich road and the one at Martlesham. Only one left at Woodbridge as well. Just seemed quite a few over the last few months! The one at Crane Hill was the one we used ... if you saw a large Hymer trundling through town yesterday!

Cheers

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I know a lot of Funsters had a Countrywide farmers account. But I think they sold out to Flogas. So do flogas still provide gas to all the old countrywide locations?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The one on the A140/ A14 junction has closed (which was our usual), the one on the Norwich road and the one at Martlesham. Only one left at Woodbridge as well. Just seemed quite a few over the last few months! The one at Crane Hill was the one we used ... if you saw a large Hymer trundling through town yesterday!

Cheers

The one at martlesham? forgot about that one, think I might have used it once.
When your putting in anywhere between 100 -160 litres of lpg, the often 10p difference between them and Morrison's makes it a no brainer for me.
I filled up there 2 weeks ago and it was 57.7 a litre.
I was babysitting yesterday, feeding the ducks at Woodbridge.:)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
There was something about gas boilers being banned in new buildings by a certain date, would this also have an effect on people like flo gas . May be gas sales in general will decline.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I know a lot of Funsters had a Countrywide farmers account. But I think they sold out to Flogas. So do flogas still provide gas to all the old countrywide locations?

Yes, Countrywide sites are still working ok. No change for customers , use same key and code. Billing works the same, just dfferent name on the bank statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 17, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo 724 plus
Exp
Not sure where in Suffolk you are but last time we used one in Thetford, if you dare venture just into Norfolk. It seemed to be fairly popular.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
There was something about gas boilers being banned in new buildings by a certain date, would this also have an effect on people like flo gas . May be gas sales in general will decline.

It will be a very, very long time before that has an effect I think - all the existing houses still need to be heated. Plus industrial users carry on - my firm uses huge amounts of gas (industrial laundry) - although we're always seeking ways to reduce consumption, there is a limit to what you can do.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably just certain areas where they are not selling enough to warrant the cost of the pump. Our area has more than it had a few years ago. Spain has seen a big increase in LPG pumps over the last 2 or 3 years. I don't foresee any problems.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
BP are not replacing pumps when they wear out, you are ok to get from them untill the pump needs replacing.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
The one at martlesham? forgot about that one, think I might have used it once.
When your putting in anywhere between 100 -160 litres of lpg, the often 10p difference between them and Morrison's makes it a no brainer for me.
I filled up there 2 weeks ago and it was 57.7 a litre.

Bit harsh, feeding babies to the ducks.
They'll get indigestion

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The description "Babysitting" is a little bit misleading as one is 13 the other 6.:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Spain has seen a big increase in LPG pumps over the last 2 or 3 years. I don't foresee any problems.
Yes I'm amazed at how many around here now have them ,including some in obscure back street locations. Better than 15 years ago where it was a trip into Murcia city :LOL:or Granada!!

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021

That reminds me of an episode from my childhood, my Aunt who was probably in her early twenties (and couldn't swim) took my sisters off on a bus trip to the Thames to feed the ducks, needless to say sister number two who was about six fell in and my poor Aunt whilst holding on to sister number one managed to grab sister number two's ponytail just as her head went under and pulled her out, funny enough they never went to feed the ducks again :) Aunty had a lot of explaining to do when she got back with my very wet sister.

Sorry to go off thread :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The old countrywide account still works but they closed a lot of them, including the one a mile from the storage. Have to pay through the nose either when travelling as @Theonlysue does or the BP or Texaco garages on the A46 north of Evesham

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Went to fill up at our usual place A140/A14, they don't sell LPG anymore, attendant told us the closest was the Shell Garage in Ranleigh Road Ipswich.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back