Why do people use this pitch-saving method? (3 Viewers)

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
oldosc - 'Wot on earth is a pitch?'

In relation to Motorhomes (not footballers, cricketers, rugby - you get the idea) a 'pitch' is something devised by the Caravan Clubs to make people park in the correct place and not on the nice green grass between the 'pitches' where the vehicle wheels will make deep grooves.

Many Clubs insist on vehicles parking close to multi-coloured 'pegs' on the pitches to ensure the Site Warden (not to be confused with a Prison Warden which is a totally different job - allegedly) has plenty to do making the campers move their vehicles until he/she is satisfied about the positioning.

Pitches can be pre-ordered (like the Christmas Turkey) but anyone totally vacating the Pitch without leaving a 'marker' (similar to a dog or cat marking its territory) is liable to find the space being inhabited pretty damn quick by a predatory camper.

This practise is prevalent in the busier Summer months and can lead to disputes which also keep the Site Warden occupied – if they can be found as it is often obvious that they disappear at any sign of trouble between adults.

To avoid pitches and there problems, marking your territory and other British traits I'd advise going due south and across the Channel to foreign parts where the word 'pitch' is an almost unknown quantity to Motorhome owners.

If you go to France I'd suggest Aires, France Passion and Wild camping to avoid ever having to use the 'pitch', 'peg' or 'pre-booking'.

I hope this short reply helps you understand wot a pitch is.

:france: :france: :france: :france:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The Correct way to connect a EHU cable is to plug the VAN in first, then the EHU connection. You are then not dragging a live cable. Cable should be completely uncoiled before connection, And yes we have all done it, at least once! the "wrong" way.

This sort of thing can happen:- Due in this case to have been badly made by the supplier of the EHU cable.
Plug1.jpg Wire1.jpg

Welded itself into the EHU box at Rowntree Park!. took two large screwdrivers to remove After the Warden had shut the main breaker off!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Many years ago when I had my first campervan (having been used to caravans) I took the kids out for the day and left my EHU cable to mark my pitch (yes, I had disconnected it at both ends). When I returned some thieving toerag had taken it and replaced it with a shorter one that had a broken plug. Lesson learnt. Although at least they hadn't nicked my pitch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
To avoid pitches and there problems, marking your territory and other British traits I'd advise going due south and across the Channel to foreign parts where the word 'pitch' is an almost unknown quantity to Motorhome owners.

The French, in particular, are extremely gregarious, and like nothing better than to park within touching distance of neighbouring units, which is OK providing as always you enjoy the odour of Garlic!.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
The French, in particular, are extremely gregarious, and like nothing better than to park within touching distance of neighbouring units, which is OK providing as always you enjoy the odour of Garlic!.

You'd need very long arms and a great sense of smell to notice your next door neighbour on this Aire .....

Orbec 1.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

You'd need very long arms and a great sense of smell to notice your next door neighbour on this Aire .....

View attachment 153372
You're not supposed to pitch in the middle of the park!!! :doh:

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
It was a Municipal Aire and we were the only ones staying there overnight.

Hook up, water, waste disposal, toilet block (toilet paper included) and showers, walks in the nearby woods, 10 minutes walk into town to restaurants and boulangeries and all for about €10 a night.

If we'd arrived after 5pm and left before 9am we wouldn't have had to pay - the guy who collected the money left and returned at those times - but that would have been taking advantage of the French system, wouldn't it?

:france: :france: :france: :france:

TeeCee

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
romford, essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2011
My husbands friend Paddy had his own way of checking lf the station was live or not by plugging the station end in first then licking the van end. Nice bloke was Paddy!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Pitched up at the Scone C&CC site over the weekend and as the warden was watching us reverse into our pitch he suddenly dashed off and unplugged a stray lead that had been left to reserve a pitch.

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
I saw this in Ypres on the site and it was teaming down with rain.
I unplugged and placed the lead under the table they had left on the plot.
When they returned I went to tell them that I'd moved it for safety, they were grateful!!
So dangerous in many ways. Wet and coiled. Eek.
It just takes a kid to come along and stick his/her fingers into the live end...!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back