Why do people use this pitch-saving method? (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
It's plugged in, Live and drizzling with rain!

IMG_3086.JPG

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
It's plugged in, Live and drizzling with rain!

View attachment 153281
I saw this in Ypres on the site and it was teaming down with rain.
I unplugged and placed the lead under the table they had left on the plot.
When they returned I went to tell them that I'd moved it for safety, they were grateful!!
So dangerous in many ways. Wet and coiled. Eek.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Coiled, only applies when a load is applied, otherwise just electrical danger.

Deleted User
RCDs in France? I wouldn't rely on one being fitted.We had a power surge in France on a site which blew our charger and several other caravans as well, one suffered serious damage. No sign of power tripping.

Spongy

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
If the MH end has the flap to cover the pins, what is the danger? o_O But as always, enlighten me if I'm wrong. :notworthy:

How many people do you see plug in at the "Box" end first and then uncoil lead and then plug into MH.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
We can't have trip hazzards like that on a pitch. I just coil them up and then put it in my Moho garage. So far I have about twenty of them (just kidding).

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I cant really see the danger here, is it any less dangerous when plugged in the side of the MH, it will still have the same rain falling on it surely

He might even have lifted the flap and switched it off for all we know (y):)

I would probably use something else, although in reality can never recall reserving a pitch (y)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I cant really see the danger here, is is any less dangerous when plugged in the side of the MH, it will still have the same rain falling on it surely

He might even have lifted the flap and switched it off for all we know (y):)

I would probably use something else, although I reality can never recall reserving a pitch (y)
My feelings exactly, (y) didn't want to be the first to say it as I always seem at cross purposes with people on here.:)

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Absolutely lethal - anyone could have tripped over the cable.

The Health and Safety Act 1974 (HSW Act)

All campers should read this thrilling pamphlet before embarking on an outdoor pursuit with their Motorhome or Caravan.

HSE 1.jpg

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Under normal rainy conditions, such a inline plug and socket will be ok. However, it is always wise to lift the joint off of the ground, if only with a brick, in case a puddle forms around it. Better still, use something like this ....

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
We saw one hanging over a branch with a extension lead hanging from that. it was raining quite hard. We turned it of at the box. The German man who came back asked if we had the lamp that was plugged into it.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Don't touch it then!!!!!

Quite a bit off topic but related in a way.

A true story about 'Fred' and 'Harry'. (I changed the names to protect the innocent!)

About 15 years ago, Fred had been training some Apprentices outdoors in heavy rain. Having called a stop for lunch and sending the Apprentices back inside, Fred made sure the area was safe before coming inside and starting to take off his soaked waterproofs. To steady himself he put his hand out and rested it against the wall while he tried to shake one of his wellies off of his foot and out from the bottom of the leg of the leggings he was wearing.

Harry (one of the Apprentices) walked around the corner, saw Fred, dripping wet, with one hand resting on the wall right by the light switch, one leg out in mid air, absolutely dripping wet and his body shaking like mad.

Fair play to Harry, all of those hours invested in Health and Safety training paid off and he immediately grabbed a broom and used the woodern handle to smash Fred's arm away from the source of the 'electric shock'. Unfortunately in his youthful enthusiasm to prevent further injury he managed to give Fred a fractured arm in the process.

It is all I can do not to wet myself laughing everytime the story comes back up in conversation and I think about the scene I faced when running around the corner to find out what the shouting was all about.

I have many magic memories from my years of training Apprentices and that certainly is one I don't think I will ever forget. (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I wouldn't reserve a pitch like that. I usually eave a cheap fold up step on the pitch with a numberplate propped up on it. If someone really wants the pitch I was using I'd just go and find another. Life is too short to stress over little things.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I would probably use something else
When we book in, drive round, find a nice pitch, I hang a photo of the wife on the peg, then go and fill up. Only had one problem. Some irate parent complained that we had hung a scary monster picture up. The wife went over to meet her...............................(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back