Who has a 12v TV 19in/20in that plays .mkv, .avi, flv, .mpg etc files directly from a USB powered portable Hard Drive? (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I need to buy a 12v TV for the van, predominantly to playback my video files in the above typical formats and would like to hear from anyone who does this successfully, what TV they use.

Sat TV and Freeview reception is a secondary consideration. It is very difficult to establish from manufacturers' websites whether their models do this or not. I've emailed the manufacturers directly and Cello have responded negatively but Avtex haven't responded at all.

Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Yes I already have Kodi on an Android box. It's the files created by Kodi that I want to replay on the 12v TV - without taking along an Android box.

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I'm hoping to hear from someone who has a 12v small screen tv which has the codecs for the file types in-built so my HD can replay through the TV's powered USB.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, thank you. Maybe I should be looking to load a media player on to the HD so that it constitutes what PhilAndMena have but for now, I'm hoping to hear from people WHICH tvs can play this stuff directly from the powered USB HD.
As I started by saying, various manufacturers offer Smart tv facilities but, like Cello, when you ask them directly, they say "we dont know about that" or they dont reply.
I don't want to take my Android box with me in the van. Just the TV and the HD.
Still hoping someone out there has found such a TV make/model and knows from experience that it works in this way.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My ALDI 21" MEDION TV seems to play back most things, my son downloads and passes me on the files.
What formats are you wanting to check ? He is over here later and a bit more up on things. I can ask him to double check.
I know he does some in .MKV ?? High def stuff, that all works ok. All my old films are in .avi just for saving disk size.
Medion make a "media player" box so i wonder if they just incorporate the software.

ps.. It also has Freeview and a free to air satellite tuner. DVD as well. Not bad for £120 ish..

UPDATE... From the manual.
Supported formats via USB1
Photo: JPG, PNG, BMP, JPEG
Music: MP3, WMA, OGG
Film: MPEG 1/2/4, MKV, Xvid, AVI, MP4, Quicktime
Text: TXT

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you Tonka, that's very helpful. I'll look at the Aldi offerings, though I think at present they only have the 23.8in screen size.

Most of my files are .mkv containers but there are some .avi, .flv and .mpg stuff that I really don't want to have to convert. I realise small TVs have poor sound that may be enhanced with a soundbar but how is the veiwing angle on the Medion?

Maybe your son can clarify when he comes over....

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Post your UPDATE. Thanks Tonka, that model is going on my list of candidates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Just discovered a new brand Unispectra that does a 12v 20in and incorporates a Media Player to replay, specifically, mkv, avi mpg files. Another candidate.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I need to buy a 12v TV for the van, predominantly to playback my video files in the above typical formats and would like to hear from anyone who does this successfully, what TV they use.

Sat TV and Freeview reception is a secondary consideration. It is very difficult to establish from manufacturers' websites whether their models do this or not. I've emailed the manufacturers directly and Cello have responded negatively but Avtex haven't responded at all.

Thank you in advance.
Surprised Cello said no as we've got a 24" Ferguson (rebranded Cello) and we use USB powered external HHD's up to 2Tb in size. 4Tb does not work.
Don't have the manual readily available but it has definitely played .mkv, .flv and I'm fairly sure .avi. It even reads .txt files where we keep the "info" for the video \ music file.
The replace a 21" Medion similar to tonka 's.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
We have cello traveler we use to watch films ect from usb hard drive,it also has dvd and satellite build in, also good with firestick

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
And there's a 12v 19in Sniper reckoned to play media files.

Thanks Gellyneck and Lofty1. I was hoping to hear from actual users. Do you both just plug in the hard drive to the USB socket and voila - it appears on screen? Or do you need to pass it through a Firestick or similar?

Lofty1 - is yours one of the newer, 24in TVs? Labelled Traveller?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thank you Tonka, that's very helpful. I'll look at the Aldi offerings, though I think at present they only have the 23.8in screen size.

Most of my files are .mkv containers but there are some .avi, .flv and .mpg stuff that I really don't want to have to convert. I realise small TVs have poor sound that may be enhanced with a soundbar but how is the veiwing angle on the Medion?

Maybe your son can clarify when he comes over....

Well he laughed when i told him .mpg and said "miles per gallon ??!! :wink:
Have you considered changing the file tags ? I haven't done much with all this stuff for a while but when we used to take the grandkids i had a PC program that would edit the tags and change them ie to .avi etc to play on my older TV.
I am just updating my HDD now with some stuff ready for our trip to Thetford. The Medion certainly plays .MKV .AVI .MP4 .M4V as these are currently on my HDD and being used.

The 21" and 23" at ALDI do appear in the stores and online but you have to be quick as they sell out pretty fast.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
And there's a 12v 19in Sniper reckoned to play media files.

Thanks Gellyneck and Lofty1. I was hoping to hear from actual users. Do you both just plug in the hard drive to the USB socket and voila - it appears on screen? Or do you need to pass it through a Firestick or similar?

Lofty1 - is yours one of the newer, 24in TVs? Labelled Traveller?
Hi ours is about 3 years old and alas fixed so I cannot get to the label we just plug into the usb and select the media player it is not a smart tv

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As with Lofty1 plug the hdd into the usb socket and select that as the source on the TV, usually under Menu or even a dedicated button.

Edit : ours is a Ferguson F24230FT2S2 - 12V (now discontinued but replacement models of various sizes on their website).

Hagstrom just edited to include model number.

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Thank you in advance.
If I read this correctly Avtex,

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Our 19" Manta branded 12v TV plays pretty much everything thrown at the USB. It's a 19LFN88L19 if that helps.

OP
OP
Hagstrom
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks all, for your help.

I bought a 19in Cello Traveller C1920FMTR and attched a Fat32 2tb portable HD to it yesterday. It plays .mkv and .avi files from the HD but not mp4 files. I can convert the mp4s if I'm desparate but the majority of my content is mkv so I'm content.

I was particularly interested in the checking out the viewing angle, for which Cello has been criticised in the past.. I struggled to find any degradation in either the horizontal or the vertical aspect for his model.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks all, for your help.

I bought a 19in Cello Traveller C1920FMTR and attched a Fat32 2tb portable HD to it yesterday. It plays .mkv and .avi files from the HD but not mp4 files. I can convert the mp4s if I'm desparate but the majority of my content is mkv so I'm content.

I was particularly interested in the checking out the viewing angle, for which Cello has been criticised in the past.. I struggled to find any degradation in either the horizontal or the vertical aspect for his model.
I must admit that I thought our Ferguson (rebadged Cello) played .mp4's but as all our stuff is .mkv's I could be wrong.
Yip, we've no problems with the viewing angle on ours either. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Pot luck with TV's it depends on what Codecs are installed & you can't update them like you can with a PC.

Apr 28, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Compass Drifter 410
I have a current 19" Sniper which I just bought 2 weeks ago from Amazon - will check which formats it can play tomorrow when I'm away in the Drifter if that helps.

Apr 28, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Compass Drifter 410
So far, the sniper plays .avi, mkv, mp4 and everything I've thrown at it. I have an NVMe drive in a USB/USB C enclosure, and it's working perfectly. Also the TV menu is really good - fast, responsive, and shows what you need it to - easily one of the best I've used - it's actually better for navigating media than my 55" Samsung!

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
So far, the sniper plays .avi, mkv, mp4 and everything I've thrown at it. I have an NVMe drive in a USB/USB C enclosure, and it's working perfectly. Also the TV menu is really good - fast, responsive, and shows what you need it to - easily one of the best I've used - it's actually better for navigating media than my 55" Samsung!
We've a Sniper too....great TV.... decent Freeview & Free to Air Satellite receivers too ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back