Which snow chains for Concorde Charisma? (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Has anyone bought snow chains for their Concorde charisma? We bought some online - they are the Konig K summit K89. They arrived this morning and we find that they don't fit because the fixing of the Goldschmidt alloy wheel trim.

Does anyone have any info that might help to select the correct ones. We've spoken to Southdowns and the snow chain supplier who were both very helpful but we're still unsure of which buy. Can anyone help please?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think you will find Goldsmitt advice wil be not to fit chains to alloy wheels. Hymer state that and they own Goldsmitt. Being a Germany company they expect you to do what is the norm in Germany, fit steel wheels with winter tyres for the winter.
Sorry not very helpful and not what you want to hear but that's the way the Germans think.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for the info. The vehicle has snow tyres fitted but we believe we'll need chains as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, we did think of socks but it's a heavy vehicle and we're not sure they'd be up to the job.

We've decided to go skiing at the last minute so it's our fault that we're having to get chains at the last minute. We might have to get them in France on our way down. Hopefully someone will have fitted them to the same or similar vehicle.... anyone???

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
P1020108 (600 x 450).jpg
P1020112 (600 x 450).jpg
Do you actually need them. Eight years of motorhome and never found the need. Even in this ........

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Might be worth getting some steel wheels and get the tyres swapped over. Not cheap but cheaper than wrecking the alloy's. Would it be possible and legal just to fit steels to the driven wheels?

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I don't know if we'll need to use them but feel that we should have them in case. The snow doesn't look deep in your photo - we're pretty sure it will be a lot deeper and icy in the Alps. Our son in law ended up in a gully one year - his vehicle just slewed across a mountain road and there was nothing he could do. He got pulled out by a recovery vehicle but it might not be so easy in a motorhome.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Can't you just remove the alloy wheel trims.
Martin

The problem is that when we removed the trims the wheels are like a lorry wheel with the nuts set a long way back and they have a sleeve round them, making the nuts too big to atttach the fixing on the chains. We phoned the supplier and they weren't able to suggest a way round it - they had a larger fixing adapter but it was still too small, does that make sense, it's hard to describe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Might be worth getting some steel wheels and get the tyres swapped over. Not cheap but cheaper than wrecking the alloy's. Would it be possible and legal just to fit steels to the driven wheels?

We don't have time to do that for this trip. It may be something to consider later on though, thanks.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ah OK I see what you are trying to fit now, just a set of standard chains should be OK once the trims are off, do you have hydraulic jacks?

And yes I think you could need them when you get to the sign that says "snow chains beyond this point"

What do you use @dingdong

Martin

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Ah OK I see what you are trying to fit now, just a set of standard chains should be OK once the trims are off, do you have hydraulic jacks?

And yes I think you could need them when you get to the sign that says "snow chains beyond this point"

Martin

Yes, we have hydraulic jacks and that's what we'll probably have to do. Lift the whole vehicle off the ground and fit regular ones. We thought the ones we bought would be a quick and easy to use. Oh well... you live and learn!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes, we have hydraulic jacks and that's what we'll probably have to do. Lift the whole vehicle off the ground and fit regular ones. We thought the ones we bought would be a quick and easy to use. Oh well... you live and learn!
And you save some cash(y)

Martin

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
And you save some cash(y)

Martin
Yes, the ones we bought were on the expensive side! They look a quality product and it's a shame they don't fit. Luckily they will take them back. That's the problem when there isn't a local stockist and you need things in a hurry. We would have been better getting them en-route. I'm sure the French have a wide range of such items.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
View attachment 203317 View attachment 203316 Do you actually need them. Eight years of motorhome and never found the need. Even in this ........
With all due respect, if you think you think your photographic evidence is a serious level of snow fall, then you really haven't experienced the region's or locations that motorhomes really do need to consider the need for snow chains!

It's bizarre how quickly conditions can change in areas like the Alps and our own experience has shown that advice and recommendations to carry snow chains is enforced when conditions change from this:

Boxing Day 2014.jpg

to this in the space of 24hrs....

Day after Boxing Day.jpg

From our own personal experince, over several ski expeditions to the Alps, be prepared to put snow chains on at some part of your journey. Be it the last few miles to your destination, departing your location onto cleared roads or even traversing routes between locations, there will inevitably be a need to put your chains on and to use them!

I bought our last pair of snow chains from here: Broken Link Removed...do not leave the UK without some!!

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
With all due respect, if you think you think your photographic evidence is a serious level of snow fall, then you really haven't experienced the region's or locations that motorhomes really do need to consider the need for snow chains!..
!!

Your right, I’ve never driven over the Apls in those conditions and definitely never will. Whilst I understand passion for a sport, I simply would not risk my motor home. Driving 10.5t in the depths I pictured was enough excitement for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Your right, I’ve never driven over the Apls in those conditions and definitely never will. Whilst I understand passion for a sport, I simply would not risk my motor home. Driving 10.5t in the depths I pictured was enough excitement for me.

I should have mentioned in my original post that the reason we need them is because we're travelling to the Alps.

It's a legal requirement to travel with chains and, as imbiber says, they're essential. As long as you have the necessary equipment then travel in that area is fine. Coaches, lorries and busses do it all the time. The weather changes so quickly and in a big dump of snow it can cover a car overnight.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I'm not sure what kind of wheels your lovely new van has and I know the spec is very much the same as MORELO in that you have a choice of 4 alloy wheels and two steel, the steel being the inner wheels on the back axle. You can have front alloy wheels and alloy wheel covers for the steel wheels on the rear or all 6 wheels steel with alloy wheel covers.

The first issue if you have alloy wheels and you were to go down the route of changing to steel would be the alloy and steels have different securing and that is why a hub is supplied with the spare wheel which is steel. So you would need to buy steel wheels plus extra hubs to allow them to be fitted and they look expensive.

I'm sorry in that I don't have an answer but if you have alloy wheels I suggest you read the handbook as I'm sure it mentions in mine not to fit snow chains....not a help I know but better warned.

As for snow socks; I purchased a set a few years ago and used them to get out of the storage yard the van was stored in. It had about 12 inches of untouched snow and was very frosty. I have no doubt I would have not managed to get out without them. A real pain to get back off and very messy. This was on a front wheel drive Burstner, might have been different in a rear wheel drive with diff lock.
Don't think snow socks are permitted in place of chains and I'm not sure how long they would last. I only travelled about 500 yards and they were showing signs of wear.

Good luck and hope someone can help, hope I have not confused things even more.

Have a great trip away and a very merry Christmas.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

Martin
Having driven in the Alps for years when we were skiing, the snow chains sign can be ignored if you have full snowflake winter tyres. When there have been bad conditions and a policeman has been stopping and checking vehicles before letting them pass, winter tyres was all that was needed non winter tyre users were made to stop and fit chains. Frankly having used all sorts of combinations over the years proper winter tyres are the dogs, they take you through almost anything and chains are just a pain.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Having driven in the Alps for years when we were skiing, the snow chains sign can be ignored if you have full snowflake winter tyres. When there have been bad conditions and a policeman has been stopping and checking vehicles before letting them pass, winter tyres was all that was needed non winter tyre users were made to stop and fit chains. Frankly having used all sorts of combinations over the years proper winter tyres are the dogs, they take you through almost anything and chains are just a pain.
Hi Michael

For a start I have never used chains but I believe you when you say they are a pain and proper winter tyres(y) we have the 3PMSF mountain snowflake on our tyres but fourseasons, I didn't realise you could ignore the "snow chains" sign, the only occasion we have come close to needing them was going over the Somport from Spain to France and the Spanish Police stopped us and asked "snow chains" I said "no" he said "park there or turn back" we parked for as long as it takes to make coffee and then they decided it was clear and we all moved again.

Martin

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
What is the base vehicle for the Concorde? A dealer would know which chains to get.
I'm very convinced in favour of true snow tyres - they are exceptional. I have been on 10cm pure ice and also hard packed shiny snow. Wide open flat camp site so I tried a few emergency stops at about 20mph - the truck stopped quickly and securely.
All mine are steel wheels - I have 4 extra wheels and swap over tyres twice a year.
I also bought mercedes heavy duty chains from Innsbruck main dealer, but have yet to need them.

Once you have travelled to the alps in winter a couple of times, you realise they take snow in their stride. Busses keep running, bread is still delivered.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The base vehicle is an Iveco.

I think the problem is because of the wheels. We've spoken to the dealership and obviously looked through our manuals but were unable to get info.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I knew I read it somewhere. The MORELO Handbook states that Snow Chains can only be fitted onto wheels with Steel Rims. If you have alloys it appears Concorde and MORELO fit the same type so you may have an issue I'm afraid.

Cut and Paste from MORELO Handbook (see footnote at very bottom)

15.3 Recommended winter camping accessories

So that you are equipped for all eventualities when winter camping, we recommend

the following accessories:

Comments: Date:

Winter refrigerator cover OK: 

Snow shovel OK: 

Broom OK: 

Plastic ice scraper OK: 

De-icer spray OK: 

Talc or Vaseline OK: 

Anti-slip mats for snow OK: 

Snow chains1)OK: 

Jump leads OK: 

A bag of sand can also help out if you get stuck in snow or ice OK: 

Has the load been secured to prevent it from slipping? OK: 

Snow protection covers for skylights (only for long-term

camping) OK:

1) Snow chains can only be fitted onto wheels with steel rims!

Jul 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Concorde 791RL
Exp
15 years
On mine I have alloys on the front and alloy covers on the back, so can the covers on the back wheels just be taken off and snow chains fitted??.
Or are they needed to keep the wheels on.
Dont have a clue here!!!!! (n)

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks Stewart... We're going to have to do some fast thinking as we leave next Wednesday!

Its our own fault for not allowing enough time to sort things out properly - we just didn't think it would be a problem.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
On mine I have alloys on the front and alloy covers on the back, so can the covers on the back wheels just be taken off and snow chains fitted??.
Or are they needed to keep the wheels on.
Dont have a clue here!!!!! (n)

That's a good point. I looked at the Goldschmitt booklet and it shows an expanded diagram with the alloys off but I'm not sure whether its just showing how they're fitted. I'll have to wait till my husband gets home as he knows more than I do about the construction of the wheels themselves. It certainly would seem to be a good way of getting round the problem though.... thanks!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back