Which of you have never had a 'Habitation Check'? (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
So come on who has habitation checks?

Is it just 'Newbies', new owners who are told that without it the warranty is invalidated?

Do more experienced owners ignore the concept?

Do owners of better quality MHs have the checks

If you take a MH back to a dealer is the gas system checked by a gas engineer specifically qualified on butane/propane systems and does one get a certificate accordingly?

I bought my first/only MH 12 years ago and have never had a habitation check. I had one small window seal leak 3 years ago but it might not have shown on day of check, like MOT.

Your thoughts please, together with:-

What Motorhome(s) you have owned?

Whether you have had habitation checks and why?

What they have found?

Would you always have a habitation check on any MH in the future?

Geoff

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Had the van going on 7 years from new. Never had a habitation service. Must have saved us about £1000. Did some repair work myself round the wheel arches, cost about £10 for a couple of tubes of stixall.

I wouldn't trust anyone else to do it properly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Just thinking about this and most of us are probably a bit handy at fixing things but my brother although he knows what a screwdriver looks like and what it does but how it actually works is a mystery to him he doesn't own a mono but I'm I think people like him must be mono owners do they would profit benefit from having a hab check

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Bought our first van new in 2008 had it nearly 6 years, 2nd had nearly 3 years, current one is 4 years old. Never had a hab check, never had any problems getting warranty work done.
I do have the damp check done, but only until the warranty expires.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Only ever while in warranty.
After that I have the gas checked regularly by son who is a gas engineer and do a visual on all the mains set up.
I also have both an invasive and noninvasive damp meter and do regular checks.
I keep a note each time I do a check simply to remind me when I did it last.

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
5 year old now only had one check done.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Bought our first van new in 2008 had it nearly 6 years, 2nd had nearly 3 years, current one is 4 years old. Never had a hab check, never had any problems getting warranty work done.
Agree with a new vehicle the damp check is the important one as it’s related to the warranty.
Some Hymers require an under seal spay but our model doesn’t - again a warranty point.
A gas check might be worth a check but I only did as preparation for selling the vehicle as you also get a gas certificate of approval.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Lenny, Just the 2 or 3 year warranty or the maybe 10 year damp warranty?

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I'm lucky I have the equipment to test the electrical system and the gas, I also do a damp check I write out a gas and electrical report and fill in a damp form. My gas qualifications expire in a year and my electrical qualification has already run out. I do the checks to make sure it's safe to use and the damp check in case I have to claim on the insurance

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
So come on who has habitation checks?

Is it just 'Newbies', new owners who are told that without it the warranty is invalidated?

Do more experienced owners ignore the concept?

Do owners of better quality MHs have the checks

If you take a MH back to a dealer is the gas system checked by a gas engineer specifically qualified on butane/propane systems and does one get a certificate accordingly?

I bought my first/only MH 12 years ago and have never had a habitation check. I had one small window seal leak 3 years ago but it might not have shown on day of check, like MOT.

Your thoughts please, together with:-

What Motorhome(s) you have owned?

Whether you have had habitation checks and why?

What they have found?

Would you always have a habitation check on any MH in the future?

Geoff
Yup. Peace of mind is worth a couple of hundred quid. I’m an expert in some things, not all and personally wouldn’t trust anyone who claims they are. not fiddling with anything that could compromise safety, no gas, no fuel no brakes. Agree that some of it is easy. Just these aren’t the bits I would be concerned about!

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
not hab checks but i have a yearly damp check done at the dealers to keep the warranty in order

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Never had one but have a probe around with a damp meter now and again, had vans from 17-2 years old not even sure what you get for a habitation check and 1-3 hundred quid spend, unless it’s under warranty what’s the point?

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Never had one myself, current van came with one in 2016......only one I've ever seen

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
Nope, never had one on any of the MHs we've had

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Never ever on caravan or motorhome,,BUSBY.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have it to maintain 19 year damp warranty. £190 and always glad to know the gas system has been pressure checked.
They generally find little or nothing but replace the odd hab bulb I haven’t got round to and also swap out the water filter.
Worth it IMHO

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Nope. Bought new and when we asked the dealer if we needed one they said no, it's only advisory if you live somewhere with really inclement weather.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Never had one, but having built five I guess if anything goes wrong I should know how to fix it!

That's been the same philosophy in almost forty five years and eleven vans, like wise mechanical servicing. The only mechanical work others have done have been jobs that were too heavy or complex to do on the street outside home.

However at 72 years of age it may have to change some time in the next ten or fifteen years!

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Never had a hab service in 30 years. Only water ingress to maintain warranty.

Able to do my own hab checks before each trip including gas leak detection, water, electrical etc. Intimate knowledge of all the hab services is helpful in fixing things whilst on tour. Spares include water pump, fridge parts, gas regulator and plenty others to fill a small locker.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back