Which Generator To Get? (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I can't make my mind up which one to get!
I nearly bought a Clarke IG 2200 for £475 but then found the Draper 2kVA (model 80956) for £367:88! Over £100 cheaper. Is it a lot cheaper because it's crap or is the Clarke one overpriced?
I want a half decent one but don't want to pay over £1000 for a Honda one!
Are they all about the same?
It'd be used to charge up my batteries ( not got solar panels yet ) and run things like my microwave and washing machine whilst out wild camping. Any other ones to look out for?
Ta.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In my opinion Draper make mechanics sockets, spanners, etc and reasonably well.
Anything electrical badged as Draper is over priced tat....looks cheap and flimsy and probably is.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
From what you say, I'd suggest getting the cheaper one. It's a small price to pay for the experience.
You may find you use it so little (for whatever reasons) you stop bothering with it, otherwise discover more precisely the type of machine you should've bought in the first place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It'd be used to charge up my batteries ( not got solar panels yet ) and run things like my microwave and washing machine whilst out wild camping. Any other ones to look out for?
Ta.
What motorhome have you got (or getting)?
Unusual (but not unique) to have a 240v washing machine.

As you'll find out from later posts:
Generators are not generally loved by Funsters.
Only Honda produce "half decent" gennies, perhaps look out for a pre-loved one, than a rubbish new one.
Generators are not the same - use the search function to read up threads on noise, outputs & the differences between pure & pseudo sine wave.
Usually recommended to get as much solar on your roof as possible, + additional batteries before going down the gennie route.
Good luck.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Gets out a large packet of cheese nibbles, fed up with popcorn. Pours a super large glass of lightly chilled and settles down in very comfy chair to wait. :)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Have a look on eBay at the Hyundai Suitcase generators, I bought a Hyundai 2000sei remote start genny and really pleased with it.

John.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We have a 2kw Yamaha, I added a gas conversion, I have used it twice in 2 years as also have 320watts of solar. It is bordering the low noise level of the Honda but was cheaper and lighter. It does get some looks, when we use it but I have a long lead and can put it out of the way. You will need to examine the power needs of the washing machine in heatup mode, we have a Victron inverter charger which enables us to cope with the demand.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I can't make my mind up which one to get!
I nearly bought a Clarke IG 2200 for £475 but then found the Draper 2kVA (model 80956) for £367:88! Over £100 cheaper. Is it a lot cheaper because it's crap or is the Clarke one overpriced?
Ta.
Another option around that price. Don't have one but saw it in Screwfix. Reviews seem reasonable.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-imdy2500lbi-2200w-inverter-generator-230v/16100
User manual for it attached.

Attachments

• pa_1403499.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Hi again Antony.

I would also reccomend the Hyundai 2000SI gennie.
I did a bit of research earlier this year and for the money I dont think they can be beat.
Almost as quiet as the Honda ( 58db @ 7m), at less than half the price, make sure you shop around.
Plus from the right place, a 3 yr warranty.

arto stu

Free Member
Aug 29, 2017
Farnborough
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 69
Exp
Im a newbie
I brought a pre loved Honda... have to say it is magnificent... solar is fine in summer ... winter not so much use..

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A generator using the van power unit to charge the batteries is pretty inefficient or at least requires a very lengthy generator run. For, say, a 100Ah battery requiring 50Ah to be put back in it is likely to take around 12 hours whether on EHU or using the generator.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
A generator using the van power unit to charge the batteries is pretty inefficient or at least requires a very lengthy generator run. For, say, a 100Ah battery requiring 50Ah to be put back in it is likely to take around 12 hours whether on EHU or using the generator.
You are right but I use mine to give additional charging when Solar cannot do a respectable job. But to use it to replace all overnight losses would be test.

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
What motorhome have you got (or getting)?
Unusual (but not unique) to have a 240v washing machine.

As you'll find out from later posts:
Generators are not generally loved by Funsters.
Only Honda produce "half decent" gennies, perhaps look out for a pre-loved one, than a rubbish new one.
Generators are not the same - use the search function to read up threads on noise, outputs & the differences between pure & pseudo sine wave.
Usually recommended to get as much solar on your roof as possible, + additional batteries before going down the gennie route.
Good luck.

Hi, I have a Burstner Elegance 821. The washing machine I have is one of those twin tub travelling ones. It's a brilliant bit of kit. There isn't a heating element in it so no big power draw. You put warm water in to start with. I will be getting solar panels sometime shortly but I still need to get a decent generator. I do a lot of "off grid" camping so no hook up and solar won't be enough to power it.

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
If you cannot afford a Honda then fill the roof with solar panels and be liked with your nearby neighbours.
Solar won't provide enough power for the washing machine and there won't be any near neighbors to annoy!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
If you intend using a generator get a Honda, if it's for emergency use only, get a cheap one.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Go to launderette once a month and spend 4 euros on a wash. Every town and city across Europe has them.
Been doing it for years on our many many long term tours around all of Europe. Works an absolute treat.

Junk the microwave and use gas or a petrol stove when not on hookup.

Load your roof with quiet, neighbour - Friendly solar panels to run your mh.

Result.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Hi, I have a Burstner Elegance 821. The washing machine I have is one of those twin tub travelling ones. It's a brilliant bit of kit. There isn't a heating element in it so no big power draw. You put warm water in to start with. I will be getting solar panels sometime shortly but I still need to get a decent generator. I do a lot of "off grid" camping so no hook up and solar won't be enough to power it.
You may very need/want a gennie... however perceived wisdom is to get solar & batteries first before choosing a generator.
With those, you might not be as power hungry as you imagined, only experience will tell... but by then you'll know if a 2kw is sufficient or overkill. If a 1kw would be enough, you'll save money. If you need a 3kw, then buying a 2kw would be a waste.

You're unlikely to get a consensus here ;)

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
I've with the solar panel group on this.

As most know, one of the big problems with generators is noise. If someone is wild camping, then the thought is often that "as nobody is around, then nobody will hear it running." The problem is, in a quiet environment sound seems to travel further, and therefore disturbs more.

One of the things that we seem to forget nowadays is that we dont really need a lot of the equipment that modern vehicles have. There are always ways around things. I returned to motorhoming just a year or two ago after a gap of 35 years.. The difference between my current motorhome and the one I had back in 1982 is amazing. But I was just as happy, in fact probably happier to use the one back then with its lack of equipment as I am with the one I have now.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
As previous poster , you will see many opposed and a few for , no consensus . I have one lpg fueled , built in as standard on my RV I have modded it with two silencer system so its so quiet now i can only tell by a slight vibration that it is running when I am in the bedroom about 35ft away . If i dont have ehu its a very useful backup , but I have always asked other campers if they mind me running for a set period , so far without problem , and in one case another M/home plugged into my exterior socket , as his battery bank was low . Like all things consideration for others is a big factor .JMHO

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I'm not quite sure where this is going but it isn't a thread about the right or wrongs of generator use and whether or not they are "socially acceptable" or not it was simply about which ones are any good. It's really not that difficult. I have had a few good suggestions which I'm grateful for. As for their use, well if I'm out and about and I need to do my washing, well I'm going to fire up my generator! ( when I get one).
As a side note I will be getting a couple of big solar panels on my Motorhome roof in the not too distant future but that still won't solve the problem of powering my washing machine when I'm off grid will it!

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Personally I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and going for Efoy (with lithium).

Not going to enjoy spending the money - but seems to me to be the best of all worlds (apart from the initial cost)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Personally I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and going for Efoy (with lithium).

Not going to enjoy spending the money - but seems to me to be the best of all worlds (apart from the initial cost)
They are good if you have limited electrical demand when off grid , but as you say exem.jpg

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance

Had to google that one! Never heard of them before. WON'T be getting one either! Nice though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back