Dec 11, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
swift bessacar e480
Exp
since june 2016
hi all
travelling around Europe this year and not sure how the system works or which gas or bottles I need around france/spain etc. I have the normal red propane bottles and 2 lightweight cepsa butane bottles and a couple of adaptors that
ive collected can anyone advise what I need and where and how do I fill these.
thanks all
graham and joanne

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I use French gas from Intermarche/Netto and Butagaz. (1 of each). They have a 21.8 LH thread (Butane and Propane) the same as our 4.5kg Calor. So I can screw the pigtail straight on either.
Deposit on French bottles is as much €1 for the ones I use. The "clip-on" ones are dearer.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
The problem is the fact that different countries have different brands and not the same connections. I think the best solution is probably fitting a refillable system if going from country to country. I have considered this but not done so yet.

Wyn

Drat! @Clive beat me to it.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
3 different adapters should cover most countries for refillable.
Plus apps
Filllpg.co.uk for UK
Mylpg.eu for Europe

However in Germany I have found 2 different lpg pumps, one for engines which has the wrong connector and one for habitation area, which had the right connection. Staff in garage were completely unhelpful. :-(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you're only going to France and Spain then if your locker can take 2 large bottles just take an empty Cepsa bottle and then get an exchange one for France and just swap it as you need more gas then when you get to Spain exchange your empty Cepsa for a full one, then you'll have one for each country and can exchange it for full ones as and when needed. If, however, you're planning on spending any length of time in other countries then realistically a refillable bottle is the way to go.

Reactions: kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If your planning to do lots of trips over the water then a refillable system is the way to go. Fitted a gasit setup,(easy ) before we left, convenient & cheap to fill. Filled 2 x 11kg bottle's the other day here in Spain for 24 euros. Should pay for itself fairly soon. Happy travels.:).

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Alugas with 4 different connectors ( all supplied by Alugas at silly cheap lolly )
Have done 24 ( I think ) countries around Europe and not had a problem .. Well apart from Ireland where the adapter fitted the gun but the gun did not work !! .. Had to go find another LPG supplying garage and it worked fine

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We only use gas for our hob as the fridge is a compressor and heating runs off the diesel tank. We opted immediately for Camping Gaz as we do most of our travelling abroad. Little bit more expensive but not enough to make a difference as we only use a bottle a year if that. Cook on ehu when we can.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
You need 4 these days.
UK/Dutch bayonet
Acme
Dish
Euro
Is the UK/Dutch bayonet the same as the fitted one on the 700mm gas low filler point?
I have the following adaptions and thought I had covered the lot.
Spanish/European
French/Italian
Euro
Where is the acme for or is it a name for one of these above? If I travel to Alsace region in France via Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium as suggested on here, will I need any more? - hopefully not having to fill up in every country.:rolleyes:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Is the UK/Dutch bayonet the same as the fitted one on the 700mm gas low filler point?
Spanish/European
French/Italian
Euro
Where is the acme for or is it a name for one of these above? If I travel to Alsace region in France via Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium as suggested on here, will I need any more? - hopefully not having to fill up in every country.:rolleyes:
The Acme is the thread on the outside normally, of a French/Italian cup fitting. The acme is for use in Germany. This is what I have. An Acme threaded /cup Then in the centre, being Italian made, there is a 10mm metric thread into which I screw the UK bayonet adaptor or the Spanish Eu connecter.

Here are all 4 types.
http://www.mylpg.eu/adapters#ACME_adapter

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Spanish/European
French/Italian
Euro
You don't need any more adaptors ... the one on your filler is the bayonet one and the other 3 will be adequate for your needs elsewhere, that's exactly what we have and we've been all over the place in Western Europe!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You don't need any more adaptors ... the one on your filler is the bayonet one and the other 3 will be adequate for your needs elsewhere, that's exactly what we have and we've been all over the place in Western Europe!
Unless, Mel, you fit the small filler point you were looking at. In that case it only has a thread and comes with a screw on adaptor for the UK bayonet. Your other adaptors then screw on to the filler direct as well.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Unless, Mel, you fit the small filler point you were looking at. In that case it only has a thread and comes with a screw on adaptor for the UK bayonet. Your other adaptors then screw on to the filler direct as well.
Yes but Zigisla said:
Is the UK/Dutch bayonet the same as the fitted one on the 70mm gas low filler point?
so it made me think that he already has the UK bayonet fitting (either removable or fixed) otherwise he wouldn't be able to fill it at all in the UK ... hence my comment that he didn't need 4, just the 3 'others' he's already got.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I have just fitted "SAFEFILL" bottles, so easy to fit ,so easy to fill ,so easy to lift and so easy on the pocket!!

colyboy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have just fitted "SAFEFILL" bottles, so easy to fit ,so easy to fill ,so easy to lift and so easy on the pocket!!

colyboy
... so easy to be refused at refilling places too! :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Minxy No more trouble than any other make!

colyboy
I doubt it as others have mentioned with a fixed fill point you are much less likely to be refused, especially if it is an external one ... hope it works for you though.

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
If your planning to do lots of trips over the water then a refillable system is the way to go. Fitted a gasit setup,(easy ) before we left, convenient & cheap to fill. Filled 2 x 11kg bottle's the other day here in Spain for 24 euros. Should pay for itself fairly soon. Happy travels.:).

Maybe not :cautious:, see this thread http://www.motorhomecraic.com/forum/topic.php?t=13546

BTW, exchange bottles are roughly the same price in Spain

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Maybe not :cautious:, see this thread http://www.motorhomecraic.com/forum/topic.php?t=13546

BTW, exchange bottles are roughly the same price in Spain
Hmmmm ... as fuel prices go up and LPG doesn't I can't see anything much changing in the near future ... remember how we were all supposed to be driving electric cars by now? Didn't happen did it ... I'll stick with my refillable system as there's no way we could do our long trips without it as we skit from country to country all the time!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
folk have been skitting from one country to another for years and coped with out buying expensive so called refillables . all a rip off in my eyes . and useless in many countries .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
folk have been skitting from one country to another for years and coped with out buying expensive so called refillables . all a rip off in my eyes . and useless in many countries .
That's your view ... for us they are great ... having a refillable was vital when we could only accommodate a single bottle as there was no way we could have manged just on a single exchange cylinder. Not everyone has room for more than one, or want to faff around trying to get one when they run out in a strange country or in the middle of nowhere.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
That's your view ... for us they are great ... having a refillable was vital when we could only accommodate a single bottle as there was no way we could have manged just on a single exchange cylinder. Not everyone has room for more than one, or want to faff around trying to get one when they run out in a strange country or in the middle of nowhere.
used to travel around for years in vw t2 campers . never had alot of room. so good organisation was needed . there only used to be malaga ,elche and about two other places in spain you could fill up at. its got easier now . but morocco is still almost impossible to fill at garages etc . some gas works will let you drive a vehicle in but not many.
dont worry i fitted a gas tank to my vw back in 77 still have the tank but its not been on a vehicle for about 25 years . i find either a uk and spanish .or spanish and moroccan bottle set up works for me . saves a fortune .

Jo Nixon

Free Member
May 1, 2017
Hove
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starblazer 05
Exp
since Oct 16
I use French gas from Intermarche/Netto and Butagaz. (1 of each). They have a 21.8 LH thread (Butane and Propane) the same as our 4.5kg Calor. So I can screw the pigtail straight on either.
Deposit on French bottles is as much €1 for the ones I use. The "clip-on" ones are dearer.

Hi, we're in France and only have half a calor gas bottle left (unfortunately I bought adapters for refillable tanks before we left - very new to motorhoming!)
I noticed you use Netto and Butagaz, we've had a look at these and they don't look like they would fit our 6kg calor pigtail. Do you have any more info or do you know where we could buy a different connector in France?

Thanks for your help

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back