Which 12v HD freesat receiver (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 3, 2018
Urquhart near Elgin
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
Hi Guys. I currently have an easyfind micro m30/12 freesat receiver which is SD so I need an HD equivalent to get BBC channels. I have 3 phone leads for video and left and right audio.
I understand my roadpro dish and box are HD compatible.
Any recommendations for a 12V receiver? Thank you.
20240518_152130.jpg
20240518_152139.jpg

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You may struggle to find one now with the phono outputs to suit your current cables. I suspect all will now have HDMI, so you may need some adaption.

A quick Google shows the Humax does have those connections.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
YOu could also replace the TV. Quite a few motorhome 12V tv's have both satellite (freesat) and freeview connections now (and hdmi) . may actually be cheaper. This would also allow you to get HD. When I last checked a few Cello 12V TV's do HD and freesat for about 140-170 quid range.

Ie, run the satellite LNB cable instead of to an additional box to a freesat connection on back of the tv, same tv aerieal as usual. This opens up all HD content to you, and also gives you an hmdi port to plug a firetv into which you may fnd useful if you go to southerrn europe (ie, greece/italy) wher ethe freesat may not work.

OP
OP
Scotty Ian
Aug 3, 2018
Urquhart near Elgin
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
YOu could also replace the TV. Quite a few motorhome 12V tv's have both satellite (freesat) and freeview connections now (and hdmi) . may actually be cheaper. This would also allow you to get HD. When I last checked a few Cello 12V TV's do HD and freesat for about 140-170 quid range.
I wish I could but its a 15" drop down between the front seats and getting sat aerial cables re routed is just to difficult at my time of life😔

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
I wish I could but its a 15" drop down between the front seats and getting sat aerial cables re routed is just to difficult at my time of life😔
It really may not be as big a deal as you think we had to do similar in our home living room with sat cables coming in behind where I now sit, it's just an extension kit and pulling one of your existing cables through potentially with a draw wire. You may also be able to send the satellite via the aerial connection using a converter doohicky (you can convert the ports from satellite to aerial) -> providing you have one of those, as both are coax, the aerial connection is just lossier, but it may work regardless. At home we ran into a channel I made at bottom of shirting under the carpet so not visible. No professionals needed from satellite firm, just a joint and a reroute.

If you continue without replacing the TV in effect you are saving up issues potentially as I suspect inside 10 years everything will need a HDMI/Firestick stile connection as TV is going very much video on demand now.

The drop down may be a little more challenging, ie, expensive to handle, but I think you may find avtex have HD replacements now.

OP
OP
Scotty Ian
Aug 3, 2018
Urquhart near Elgin
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
You may struggle to find one now with the phono outputs to suit your current cables. I suspect all will now have HDMI, so you may need some adaption.

Sorry .... can't Google the humax 100s I keep getting the 1100s. Can you send the link you found with the phone connection thank you.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Since you have a "free to air" receiver and not a Freesat receiver, then if you want the "equivalent", then most current free to air boxes have component connections.

Free to air - channels that are free, no subscription, no encryption
Freesat - a selection (ie not all) of free to air channels, with its own EPG,and automatic channel updates when they change frequencies (going to happen a lot this year as channels move from DVBS to DVBS2 transmissions)

BBC HD channels will be available on both types of receiver.
All free channels can be received on free to air receiver, but some not Freesat (the GREAT movie channels for example, which left freesat earlier this year).

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66

I've just fitted the Manhattan model linked to above for my mother in law. As well as a HDMI connection, the box also includes the necessary phono leads (and even a SCART convertor) within the box, so should do what the OP wants.

Excellent picture quality by the way - and decent program guide and interface.

OP
OP
Scotty Ian
Aug 3, 2018
Urquhart near Elgin
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
I've just fitted the Manhattan model linked to above for my mother in law. As well as a HDMI connection, the box also includes the necessary phono leads (and even a SCART convertor) within the box, so should do what the OP wants.

Excellent picture quality by the way - and decent program guide and interface.
Just ordered the manhattan one with its phono conversion leads, looks just the job

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
A "freesat receiver" does not necessarily have the full Freesat program guide. The TVs fitted by Hymer and Carthago, for example. There "EPG" is next to useless.

The Manhatten does have the full Freesat Guide. But, with Hymer and Cathago, it does mean extra box.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Since you have a "free to air" receiver and not a Freesat receiver, then if you want the "equivalent", then most current free to air boxes have component connections.

Free to air - channels that are free, no subscription, no encryption
Freesat - a selection (ie not all) of free to air channels, with its own EPG,and automatic channel updates when they change frequencies (going to happen a lot this year as channels move from DVBS to DVBS2 transmissions)

BBC HD channels will be available on both types of receiver.
All free channels can be received on free to air receiver, but some not Freesat (the GREAT movie channels for example, which left freesat earlier this year).
Thanks that's useful.
How does one know if they're receiving freesat or free to air ?
I have an old oyster 1 working well connected to an Alphatronic tv with built in sat receiver.
I seem to get the main channels in HD, they're just scattered around a bit and need putting in some order .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
Freesat - a selection (ie not all) of free to air channels, with its own EPG,
You are quite correct. Freesat (with a capital 'F' is a trade name. With a good Program guide.

But users should beware of some foreign TVs which offer freesat for the UK market.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Thanks that's useful.
How does one know if they're receiving freesat or free to air ?
I have an old oyster 1 working well connected to an Alphatronic tv with built in sat receiver.
I seem to get the main channels in HD, they're just scattered around a bit and need putting in some order .
Freesat boxes have the Freesat logo, and the Freesat software, and the Freesat 7 day programme guide, and simple set up process, nice logical channel order and automatic channel updates. Only three Freesat boxes are being made : Freesat 4k (Arris) , Freesat 4k Recording (Arris) , Manhattan.

Free to air boxes do not have any of the above, eg have an EPG that shows only now and next, channels all over the place and not a logical order, a manual set up process (select, satellite search, wait for 20mins for it do do a search)...just like your current TV with built in satellite receiver is showing you. And as Litium above says, some free to air receivers as sold / labeled as Freesat / freesat when they are nothing to do with Freesat at all.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I don’t think any tv with satellite included would be Freesat , they would be free to air.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Same setup here re Oyster 1 and an FTA receiver, and working a treat with a Firestick as backup when outside the Astra 2 beam range. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It used to be the case but there and some now, most are larger screen TV..

But here is 22" and 12v.

There are a few TVs with Freesat built in..some LGs and some older Panasonics.
We've just removed our Manhattan SX as our new Cello TV has built in Freesat. The previous Ferguson (Cello rebrand) was FTA. The EPG on FTA is cr*p compared with Freesat.

Believe all Cello TVs with LG's operating system, WebOS, have Freesat built in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back