Where does all the ‘stuff’ come from......? (1 Viewer)

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
The ‘van goes in on Wednesday for its first hab. check. ‘So’, thinks I, ‘maybe I should empty it out and make their job easier.....’
Much later, I’m not so sure it was a good idea - how the hell did I accumulate so many bits-and-bobs (all useful - NOT!), and do I really want to put it all back again.....?
I’m toying with the idea of making a list of said items (how sad is that!?!), but I know that I will add new things and not update the list......;)
My other thought (yes, I’ve had at least two today!) was to leave most of the ‘stuff’ out, and then see what I really need on our next trip.....whenever that might be.....
Please feel free to make suggestions and/or comments - I promise not to be offended!(y)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
When loading my new van for it's first trip, I used a spreadsheet (list!) that has all the 'basic' stuff required for all trips and where each item located in the van

The spreadsheet then has a series of 'tabs' dependent on the trip (snowboarding/paragliding/Isle of Man TT/Europe/etc)
I have updated it over the years and it even details what tools to pack dependent on what motorcycle I'm taking with me (a couple of bits for a modern bikes and a full toolbox for the Classic racers!)

I regular review it and remove stuff (from the Iist & van) I don't really use/need

It means I can load up pretty quickly and not leave anything behind, plus it ensures that the van only contains items that I need...... well it's worked so far🙂

PS: yes the spreadsheet is backed up & available on all devices & the 'cloud'!

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
We had a major clear out when we changed vans in June. I think the exercise of taking everything out and putting it back every now and then is worthwhile, ask yourself with each item "When was the last time we used this" if the in the answer is we haven't then ask "why have we got it?"
Fortunately most of my collective tat is low in weight i.e. bits of waste pipe, spare bungys, extention leads.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Went through it when I sold the last van, loads of "stuff" and not a lot of space to store it so carefully boxed. Fast forwards to new van and I can't find half the stuff I didn't really need in the first place, the shed black hole again.

Incedently does anyone else get missing letters when typing on here or I t me and fat fingers?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
When loading my new van for it's first trip, I used a spreadsheet (list!) that has all the 'basic' stuff required for all trips and where each item located in the van

The spreadsheet then has a series of 'tabs' dependent on the trip (snowboarding/paragliding/Isle of Man TT/Europe/etc)
I have updated it over the years and it even details what tools to pack dependent on what motorcycle I'm taking with me (a couple of bits for a modern bikes and a full toolbox for the Classic racers!)

I regular review it and remove stuff (from the Iist & van) I don't really use/need

It means I can load up pretty quickly and not leave anything behind, plus it ensures that the van only contains items that I need...... well it's worked so far🙂

PS: yes the spreadsheet is backed up & available on all devices & the 'cloud'!
Wow!
I just put in the stuff I want & take it out if I didn't use it...
Summer stuff out, winter stuff in, not rocket science

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I think when you go a big road trip , and especially if you plan to be in wilderness , it’s best to cover ALL bases for piece of mind ! So load up !!! And yes take a few things twice !
Or source it if you need it...

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When we swapped from the Duetto to the Rienza we took enough with us for one night away leaving the rest in the dinning room. The Rienza swallowed the overnight gear but the dinning room looked full When we got home.
Most of it has has gone in the Rienza but I tried to be selective with what we threw out.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We are ready for any time of year. Two duvets, one summer, one winter. One light sleeping bag one heavy sleeping bag. The only adjustments we make are to what clothes we take. As said anything forgotten can be bought. The internet will find most things.
We are lucky we have the storage space on board to leave things packed all year.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Andy P K - you need a master list of all the lists you will need , and subdivide these into keeps/ needs renewing / summer/ winter / basics/ extras .. there was another thread on here years ago about lists and packing- one Funster replied that even the Dog had a list. Enjoy

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Andy P K - you need a master list of all the lists you will need , and subdivide these into keeps/ needs renewing / summer/ winter / basics/ extras .. there was another thread on here years ago about lists and packing- one Funster replied that even the Dog had a list. Enjoy
You.Cannot.Be.Serious!!!!;):LOL::eek:

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I emptied our van of everything a couple of weeks ago - we bring the mattresses, bedding and dog beds in anyway in the winter if we aren't using it, easy enough to put it back as the van is on the drive. I wasn't happy with what things were in the various drawers and cupboards and so decided to just empty it entirely and then will spend some time having a think and replacing.
I've washed all our coats and jumpers which were above the cab, all the towels and shower mat, all the crockery and cutlery has been through the dishwasher.
A winter time spring clean!

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Only used our bought van 5 times thus far. Each time we return from a trip the van is completely emptied from the habitation area. Garage is mostly left in apart from shoes.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
About once a year I empty our garage to tidy it up. Look through all my tools an spares and always end up putting more back in than I took out, its fatal having bags of payload.
Some things in there that have never been used but I wouldn't travel without them, e.g. Snow chains, snow shovel etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back