Where does all the ‘stuff’ come from......? (1 Viewer)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I go through the cupboards/storage areas about every 6 months and anything that hasn't seen light of day in that time goes!
I think if I haven't used it I probably don't need it.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Went through it when I sold the last van, loads of "stuff" and not a lot of space to store it so carefully boxed. Fast forwards to new van and I can't find half the stuff I didn't really need in the first place, the shed black hole again.

Incedently does anyone else get missing letters when typing on here or I t me and fat fingers?

I get missing letters, locked screens, you name it I get it on this forum. Including some cheeky naughty friend on the Oops thread who nearly got a clip round the ear last night.

I think we should at some point in the future have a Motorhome boot sale where everything is allowed, car boot stuff, motorhome stuff, craft stuff, books, ANYTHING. And it doesn't need to be posh as somebody MIGHT need it.. such as the endless bits of hosepipe I seem to have accumulated.

This idea seems a better option than me sitting in the street holding out a cup pretending I'm pregnant. ;)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I go through the cupboards/storage areas about every 6 months and anything that hasn't seen light of day in that time goes!

Wow. You would hate my cupboards: you put me to shame. X

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Only used our bought van 5 times thus far. Each time we return from a trip the van is completely emptied from the habitation area. Garage is mostly left in apart from shoes.

SHOES! Now there's another story.

Where do you women store your crocs, your wellingtons, your 'posh' boots, your walking boots, your comfy boots, your sandals, your paddling sandals, your meal out shoes, your rainy day shoes, your hot, sunny day shoes, your shoes for with jeans, shoes for with hippy skirts, etc., etc..

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.

Where do you women store your crocs, your wellingtons, your 'posh' boots, your walking boots, your comfy boots, your sandals, your paddling sandals, your meal out shoes, your rainy day shoes, your hot, sunny day shoes, your shoes for with jeans, shoes for with hippy skirts, etc., etc..

And slippers :LOL: i mean one has to have a pair for "The Van".

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Andy P K - you need a master list of all the lists you will need , and subdivide these into keeps/ needs renewing / summer/ winter / basics/ extras .. there was another thread on here years ago about lists and packing- one Funster replied that even the Dog had a list. Enjoy
That explains why I found three bike pumps in the mh garage :LOL:
And slippers :LOL: i mean one has to have a pair for "The Van".

And bed socks for when it's cold. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The ‘van goes in on Wednesday for its first hab. check. ‘So’, thinks I, ‘maybe I should empty it out and make their job easier.....’
Much later, I’m not so sure it was a good idea - how the hell did I accumulate so many bits-and-bobs (all useful - NOT!), and do I really want to put it all back again.....?
I’m toying with the idea of making a list of said items (how sad is that!?!), but I know that I will add new things and not update the list......;)
My other thought (yes, I’ve had at least two today!) was to leave most of the ‘stuff’ out, and then see what I really need on our next trip.....whenever that might be.....
Please feel free to make suggestions and/or comments - I promise not to be offended!(y)
We have various lists, a main one for when we're going away with everything on it, clothes, food, papework, maps, techy stuff, and all other kit (other than the basics which are always in it such as jack, tools etc) plus dog stuff and although they don't have their 'own' list it's included on ours!

I also have a list of where stuff is stored - I started doing this when we got our first PVC which had underbed storage (seats made in the rear left made up as the bed) which was a pain to get at so knowing which one to dive into made life a bit easier. When we got the Carthago this became an absolute necessity as it has a double floor so there's no way we'd be able to find stuff without a detailed list of where it's all located.

When we changed to the Carthago I had a good sortie through so the stuff in it is 'needed/wanted' ... we most of it anyway! :LOL:

That explains why I found three bike pumps in the mh garage :LOL:
Giz one! :giggle:

Only used our bought van 5 times thus far. Each time we return from a trip the van is completely emptied from the habitation area. Garage is mostly left in apart from shoes.
Strewth I wouldn't be doing with that ... we take out the washing, techy stuff and the like, plus perishable food and check the dates of tins etc to make sure they're well in date, but other than that it all stays in, once the washing is done the bedding goes back as do any MH clothes (ie duplicates of what we have in the home).

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

I have a solution that works for me but you may not like to try it....😂

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013

I was gonna put a cheeky reply (from a man's perspective) to this

But then I realised on my list I have:

Trainers
Skateboarding/unicycling shoes
Motorcycle boots
Flip flops
Walking boots
Snowboard boots
Paragliding boots

Given the above and that Covid-19 affects men more than women, I'm thinking of transgendering🙂

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Pray tell us. :oops:
It’s quite simple really...
Me and Badknee 😁

No shoes required..😂

0D1B9BCA-65A1-46C1-A2CF-D3B8F30D99AE.jpeg

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Ah the dreaded shoe storage, we now have a cubby hole we can/should keep ours in. We are both shoe-aholics. so are really pleased with that.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I am a terrible hoarder at home so was absolutely determined the van would not be like our house , so far so good. Just as well as it’s a PVC. I do wish I could transfer those skills to home. Mind you it doesn’t help that our 3 children are in rentals so we still have their overflow stuff , well that’s my excuse. I am starting to do Swedish death clearing just in case though! I’m failing badly, I need a deadline but I need to know the specific date and that’s not quite how it works usually.

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
What is ‘Swedish death clearing’, please......... :unsure: :eek:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
What is ‘Swedish death clearing’, please......... :unsure: :eek:
Sorry “Swedish death cleaning” , apparently it’s quite a thing in Sweden. Sufficiently so that someone wrote a book. The idea is that when you retire you have a damn good clear out and get rid of all the stuff that your children really won’t want. Will they really want those photos of long dead relatives? Bits of china? The stuff you’ve got in your loft. Not the stuff you still look at but the stuff that is put away from their childhood. Look at it with them and then bin it.

Apparently it’s much easier than leaving tons of stuff for for your children to go through when they are grieving. I get it really. My parents lived in a council house so when they died young we felt under pressure to empty the house and give the keys back.

I have a trunk in the garage still. It has love letters from when Dad was in the Navy.I’d forgotten they were there until this thread. My children won’t want them but I couldn’t read them nor could I destroy them just after Dad died 25 years ago. Mum had been dead 6 years by then but she was only 55. I’m Dad’s age when he died now, 61 so it makes you think.

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
The ‘van goes in on Wednesday for its first hab. check. ‘So’, thinks I, ‘maybe I should empty it out and make their job easier.....’
Much later, I’m not so sure it was a good idea - how the hell did I accumulate so many bits-and-bobs (all useful - NOT!), and do I really want to put it all back again.....?
I’m toying with the idea of making a list of said items (how sad is that!?!), but I know that I will add new things and not update the list......;)
My other thought (yes, I’ve had at least two today!) was to leave most of the ‘stuff’ out, and then see what I really need on our next trip.....whenever that might be.....
Please feel free to make suggestions and/or comments - I promise not to be offended!(y)
Mostly from middle of Lidl I suspect😂😂

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
About once a year I empty our garage to tidy it up. Look through all my tools an spares and always end up putting more back in than I took out, its fatal having bags of payload.
Some things in there that have never been used but I wouldn't travel without them, e.g. Snow chains, snow shovel etc.
Are you now adding scalpels to the tools?

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Did that earlier this year when a friend borrowed the Moho so there are bits in the shed and garage at home which will come in useful like the mats for the tyres on soft ground which I might need at a festival I go to which is in a field on a slope and can get very slippery. Did I need to carry the insulated screens for the cab in summer - no so reserve for cold weather situations. How many tools do I need for running repairs? How many hook up cables and do I need the converters for schuko plugs and 16amp reversed? Latter case yes but not in Germany this year and all were 16amp. List can go on, for two of us how many mugs, etc, knives, forks. Cutting these down reduces weight only slightly per item but all adds up

Deleted User
We keep a complete spreadsheet list of all items (which we check off with each trip), sorted by category, and separately by location (i.e. where it is placed in the MH). Saves (a) forgetting something important and (b) locating something in the middle of a trip. however we generally go away for very extended trips, a weekend away isn't that important. we also have check list for procedures such as pitching up - or leaving a site. sad I know, but keeps things really organised !!

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
Andy P K - you need a master list of all the lists you will need , and subdivide these into keeps/ needs renewing / summer/ winter / basics/ extras .. there was another thread on here years ago about lists and packing- one Funster replied that even the Dog had a list. Enjoy
My wife keeps a list for the dog!

Raymond Bonello

Free Member
May 20, 2017
MALTA
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
6years
It is better that you have all the necessary things with you as you never know what you will need next. Tools you have to carry just in case you need them. Linen, kitchen utensils,cutlery etc it is a must to have them, Some medicine etc etc. Some of the items Summer or Winter will not make a difference. Surely you are not always near an outlet where you can buy the item you want. So better have it than not. I carry many things as well and feel very comfortable. Regards

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I have a kitchen drawer in the van which is similar to one of the kitchen drawers in the house, full of odds and ends that may come in useful. I know that if I got rid of it I’d definitely need something that was in there on our next trip!
Empty kitchen drawer into box put box in garage.

SHABBINS

Free Member
May 4, 2018
sheffield
Funster No
MH
IH RD600
Exp
You have inspired me.
The spare wheel and jack have gone.
I’ve removed the left hand mirror.
Haven’t used the de-icer for ages.
I haven’t replaced a fuse for ten years so all the spare fuses can go.
I feel sure there must be dozens of things I don’t use regularly so this list will probably get larger.

TrebleH

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto, Iveco
Yep, it's amazing how much stuff you accumulate over time, last time I attempted to empty mine I ended up going round the other side to make sure there was nobody sneaking more in!!! :oops:o_O

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
How things have changed. Forty years ago, the whole philosophy of campervanning/motorhoming revolved around "travelling light". Because storage was at a premium. A fridge & an oven were luxuries then. Food was bought "on the run". A couple of changes of clothing & a trip to the laundry as required. Occasional stops at campsites for a shower - One every 3-4 days was enough. No shortage of acceptable public toilets back then (where have THEY all gone?) for calls of nature . I will concede though i was in my 20's at the time so it was no great hardship. Couldn't manage without these "luxuries" now I'm 60+.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back

Flip flops for summer, trainers for walking, walking boots for winter, crocks consigned to the outer circle of hell....simple.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back