Whats the best type of awning? (1 Viewer)

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
We have a wind out Thule omnistore and we were planning to buy the side pieces to make a full awning. However

They are a crazy price
They look dead fiddly to put together.
I have heard horror stories of the wind out awning being damaged if they catch the wind with all that stuff hung on them.

We are now looking at one of these.
<Broken link removed>

Although it's an expensive inflatable awning and is not 'drive away', its still less expensive than all the Thule pieces and the installation looks a lot simpler.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Fully agree with you about not getting the sides/front for your wind-out Thule - I bought a ‘camp room’ for our Dometic awning and only used it a couple of times. Now we have a Sunncamp porch awning and a Sunncamp Swift Copia which has a front for ‘cooler’ seasons.
46F87743-D97D-48F6-8C85-53D03D6F9E84.jpeg

This is the porch awning - the Copia has a front and mud skirts, but is essentially the same. Not expensive and easy to put-up/ takedown......

Upvote 2
OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Fully agree with you about not getting the sides/front for your wind-out Thule - I bought a ‘camp room’ for our Dometic awning and only used it a couple of times. Now we have a Sunncamp porch awning and a Sunncamp Swift Copia which has a front for ‘cooler’ seasons.
View attachment 465577
This is the porch awning - the Copia has a front and mud skirts, but is essentially the same. Not expensive and easy to put-up/ takedown......
That looks good. Does it slide onto the wind out awning

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Thank you. They look great as well. I will have look at these.

Very nice benimar BTW

Reactions: JnJ
Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
We have a Dometic electric awning, that's ideal (for us) if just wanting a little shade. It self-supporting, so literally press a button and done.

But if we want an actual room for a week or so onsite, we also have a Vango Nooso driveaway.

Awning.JPG

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
That looks good. Does it slide onto the wind out awning
Only if you use Keder strip and figure-of-eight extrusion........
To get around this, I glued C-channel to the underside of the Dometic wind-out awning so that the Sunncamps slide directly into that - see previous thread for details:-

Removing wind-out canopy from ‘van......​

(not sure if I’ve linked this correctly? :unsure: )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
There's always the wildcard option - the Quest Screen House which is the most popular "driveaway awning" on Fun meets & rallies:

1613240721332.png

Bit concerning though that when I went to put a website link their website isn't live anymore - have messaged their Facebook page to check they are still trading...

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
There's always the wildcard option - the Quest Screen House which is the most popular "driveaway awning" on Fun meets & rallies:

View attachment 465648

Bit concerning though that when I went to put a website link their website isn't live anymore - have messaged their Facebook page to check they are still trading...

After hearing the horror stories by some about awnings.
My go to would be a pop up 😊

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now

View attachment 465648

For anyone interested there is stock of the Pro version (connecting tunnel was planned to be an accessory) here https://www.leisureoutlet.com/event...een-house-4-pro-outdoor-gazebo?surface=active & using code 5-SAVE takes the price down to £246.05 delivered with stock due in March so that sounds a bit more promising. Also listed as £239 delivered here https://www.cannockcaravanaccessori...re-order/?attribute_pa_type=screenhouse-pro-4 but want to be sure of stock availability before ordering as currently out of stock but available to order. Towsure & others are currently listing this at £299! :eek:
This new version is in stock at £199 delivered http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=124303100883 but all the panels have to on or off as they zip to each other unlike the Pro version where they can be used individually.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Beware - We ordered a screenhouse from Leisure Outlet last year, they took our money immediately on placing an order for goods in stock, didn't deliver although they claimed it had been dispatched, refused to respond to emails and we had to take action through our credit card to get a refund

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Beware - We ordered a screenhouse from Leisure Outlet last year, they took our money immediately on placing an order for goods in stock, didn't deliver although they claimed it had been dispatched, refused to respond to emails and we had to take action through our credit card to get a refund
That surprises me - we have used them many times over the years & had a warranty claim that they sorted with no quibble.

Upvote 0

Ken Hall

Free Member
Aug 15, 2020
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
2016 Carado T135
Exp
40 years
Our Carado T135 is slightly higher than some low profiles and we had problems finding a solution. We didn't have a wind out awning either, so we finally found the DWT Bora Air High. I fixed a c channel aluminium strip to the top edge of the van wall and the awning works a treat £450 complete 3 metres long x 2.6 metres.
We have since, splashed out on a Thula 3 metre wind out, which makes fitting the DWT easier. We saw the price of the side and front walls and now that we will have to pay import duty, I think they will get even more expensive.

We're going to buy all our accessories in Europe, 'when' we can go and pick the up ourselves. So many of our previous suppliers are not delivering to the UK.

Upvote 1

Pickygame

Free Member
Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Rapido Itineo M
Exp
Since 2019, caravans from 2010
We have a wind out Thule omnistore and we were planning to buy the side pieces to make a full awning. However

They are a crazy price
They look dead fiddly to put together.
I have heard horror stories of the wind out awning being damaged if they catch the wind with all that stuff hung on them.

We are now looking at one of these.
<Broken link removed>

Although it's an expensive inflatable awning and is not 'drive away', its still less expensive than all the Thule pieces and the installation looks a lot simpler.
We have the panorama room for the Thule. It's quite easy to put up once set. It has been in use now since November in Spain and the high winds we got caused no problems at all. I tie down the wind out as a matter of course.

Would I buy another? Probably not at the price. Am I going to change it? Probably not.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
View attachment 465577
Will these clip into a Fiamma awning rail?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The "best" awning will always be the one you will actually use.

For our type of motorhoming, which is touring around rather than staying in one place for long periods, we rarely use an awning. And most of that touring is in Europe where we take advantage of the extensive Aires networks specifically designed for our type of touring.

We do have a wind out awning, which was factory fitted and occasionally use it, but never leave it out overnight or when away from the motorhome. I have seen the damage done when one was blown over the roof by a sudden gust of wind on an otherwise calm summer's day.

And we also have a Quest pop up, which we take when we go to funster meets, where we tend to stay for longer periods in one place. Nice and easy and quick to set up and gives a lightweight cheap sociable shelter

For us the main advantage of having a motorhome, as compared with a caravan, is the speed with which we can get set up at our night stop and get the kettle/beer/wine on the go. Usually within 5 to 10 minutes of putting on the handbrake we can be lounging outside with a drink in our hands watching the caravanners that had arrived at the same time as us having their traditional hour long "putting up the awning" argument. Been there and got the T shirt :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: .

Upvote 0

Pjw

Aug 16, 2019
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
Hi. We went through all these thoughts and options a couple of years ago. Finally attended a 50th anniversary club rally and walked around the site looking at quite a selection of options. This all led to a decision, and we bought a Quest Screen House. They come as either a four sided or six sided. We put it up lose to the Thule Omnistor canopy and of course we cam drive out for a day and leave it standing. It comes with a couple of privacy panels and we bought two more. And it cost us under £200. I cannot re offend enough.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
We have the panorama room for the Thule. It's quite easy to put up once set. It has been in use now since November in Spain and the high winds we got caused no problems at all. I tie down the wind out as a matter of course.

Would I buy another? Probably not at the price. Am I going to change it? Probably not.
Thank you for that honest appraisal. Very helpful.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
The Sunncamp porch awnings are handy as they are quick to put up & take down. So good even for short stops, used with our previous caravan. We went Vango as couldn’t find a drive away version time. The gap down the sides can‘t be a sealed tight against driving rain & wind.
B233983C-1A3D-4180-80F7-A4BBDA008A5E.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
gpat
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
The "best" awning will always be the one you will actually use.

For our type of motorhoming, which is touring around rather than staying in one place for long periods, we rarely use an awning. And most of that touring is in Europe where we take advantage of the extensive Aires networks specifically designed for our type of touring.

We do have a wind out awning, which was factory fitted and occasionally use it, but never leave it out overnight or when away from the motorhome. I have seen the damage done when one was blown over the roof by a sudden gust of wind on an otherwise calm summer's day.

And we also have a Quest pop up, which we take when we go to funster meets, where we tend to stay for longer periods in one place. Nice and easy and quick to set up and gives a lightweight cheap sociable shelter

For us the main advantage of having a motorhome, as compared with a caravan, is the speed with which we can get set up at our night stop and get the kettle/beer/wine on the go. Usually within 5 to 10 minutes of putting on the handbrake we can be lounging outside with a drink in our hands watching the caravanners that had arrived at the same time as us having their traditional hour long "putting up the awning" argument. Been there and got the T shirt :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: .
That's very true. However we balance up our holiday. Usually 3 weeks. First week getting there slowly, 1 night stays, awning in the garage. Second week, stay a week and have a base. Awning up for the week. Third week pottering home. Awning back in garage. We usually hire a car in our base week so no need for a driveaway awning.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
View attachment 465577
While in Germany this last summer we noticed a number had a front sunblind attached to the front of the rollout, slides into a slot underside of the metal front piece. Bought one but not had chance to try it yet. The site was without much shade and the sun was shining most of the day straight towards those with the blind which came down to a couple of feet or so of the ground. If worried about rollout damage do perhaps what I do which is to always fit 2 storm straps at each corner front using the hook ends on the straps. I bought some ratchet straps from Halfords and use the springs well hammered into the ground from a storm strap set intended for the days of my caravan with a large awning. A friend had severe damage when his rollout got caught by the wind and tore the rollout off the van as it blew back over the roof.

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Like the Machman we went Vango driveaway as well but I sewed extension pieces to the side strips that can be pulled in to the front door and when the door is closed on them you have your seal against the wind and rain and can leave the sliding door open. You need to do it in two pieces at least as you need to leave a gap where the door lock is.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
We went with the Outdoor Revolution seen in my avatar, a bigger pic is attached. It's inflatable, driveway and can have 3 two berth bedrooms hung inside to easily create a standalone tent if you want to invite family, friends etc. I think we paid around £1200 last year for the awning and every accessory. Packed all in it weighs 32kg.

20200705_092554.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I don't have a photo of it but it's not difficult to do. You will need some dark grey 6 oz nylon which you can buy online or from a sailmaker. Put up your driveaway. Mark exactly where the gap is that you need to leave for the door latch (about 10cms) and mark where the top of the door and the bottom of the door are with chalk. Now make up 2 strips of the 6 oz nylon about 25cms wide to suit the two areas you are going to cover and sew in a 10mm cord to the inside edge (to stop it pulling out when the door is closed). Now sew the two strips on to the driveaway. To fit, one of you pulls the two sections into the van with the door open and the other slams the door shut. When and if we ever get out of lockdown I'll put it up and if sufficient people are interested I'll take a series of pics.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back