What to do in case of a dog attack out and about in Europe (2 Viewers)

Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
Hi
We are keen walkers and cyclists.
We have had several occasions when out walking/cycling in Spain/Portugal that we have been accosted by dogs and it has started to put Elaine off going out cycling/walking. These were not yappy nuisance dogs but BIG scary dogs.

Has anyone got any tips, seen pepper spray, air horns etc....... mentioned on the internet?

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Hi
We have had several occasions when out walking/cycling in Spain/Portugal that we have been accosted by dogs and it has started to put Elaine off going out cycling/walking. These were not yappy nuisance dogs but BIG scary dogs.

Has anyone got any tips, seen pepper spray, air horns etc....... mentioned on the internet?
Ask jumartoo .

Jan 30, 2021
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Escape 664
Exp
Since 2015
Do not appear frightened be calm be confident do not scream or jump about do not run make yourself big and avoid eye contact stay still if it looks like it's going South shout as loud as possible a word STOP is a good one
The secret is to force the situation and be in charge
I know it's a scary situation with so many permutations but those points will put you in with a chance

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I bought and have with us in Spain a couple of the Dazer ultrasonic dog deterrent devices as jumartoo recommended in a previous thread.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I bought and have with us in Spain a couple of the Dazer ultrasonic dog deterrent devices as jumartoo recommended in a previous thread.

I was just about to answer but I didn't need to.

We have had a dog dazer for a few years now, and had to use them on a few occasions. They do work, especially on big dogs.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Pretend to pick up a stone or do if one is to hand, go to throw it dog will run. This does not work on UK dogs.

OP
OP
P
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
I was just about to answer but I didn't need to.

We have had a dog dazer for a few years now, and had to use them on a few occasions. They do work, especially on big dogs.
Thanks just orderd one, will put a new battery in it when it arrives and give it a go in Italy next month. Thanks for the replies.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I ordered one to protect myself and my dogs from aggressive dogs off lead, then it dawned on me it would upset my dogs too so I cancelled it:unsure:

OP
OP
P
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
I ordered one to protect myself and my dogs from aggressive dogs off lead, then it dawned on me it would upset my dogs too:unsure:
Dont know I think it may be targeted in the direction you point? But if its stops your dog getting hurt than some discomfort for it might be worth it.
last year in Portugal we were chased on our bikes by 2 dogs the size of small pony's while the owner just watched.
The amazon reviews are 50/50 but the fact that Jumartoo is happy with it decided us to give it a go.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I have used the Pet Corrector spray in the past and that was good. The aggressive dog just turned away and walked off, the owner didn't bat an eyelid but it could have got ugly.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I ordered one to protect myself and my dogs from aggressive dogs off lead, then it dawned on me it would upset my dogs too so I cancelled it:unsure:

I tried ours out on the barking dogs we had at the parkup in Cartagena we were at last week and it stopped them in their tracks with them just standing there looking around confused.
That was at a distance of about 20 to 25 yards away.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I tried ours out on the barking dogs we had at the parkup in Cartagena we were at last week and it stopped them in their tracks with them just standing there looking around confused.
That was at a distance of about 20 to 25 yards away.
could be the answer to those sites where people have yappy dogs they dont control! :unsure: :giggle:

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
I bought a second hand dog dazer11 off eBay for £20 last year.
I used it the other day on an aggressive alsation and it worked like magic, the dog just skullked away with it's tail between it's legs.
I've only ever tried it before clandestinely on yappy little annoying things to no avail unfortunately.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I bought a second hand dog dazer11 off eBay for £20 last year.
I used it the other day on an aggressive alsation and it worked like magic, the dog just skullked away with it's tail between it's legs.
I've only ever tried it before clandestinely on yappy little annoying things to no avail unfortunately.

They don't seem to work on the little yappy dogs, but I'm happy that they work on the big ones.

That's been our experience also.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi

Very timely, was out yesterday passed a women and her Dog on my bike (not on a lead) and it started chasing me, snarling and yapping...So i just road faster, it kept chasing me for about 2km, my mate who was with me had held back, told me the woman was shouting the Dogs name as we disappeared around a corner apparently she had a quite a good workout running after us eventually she caught up with the dog ( out of breath )and clipped the lead on.

So all you dog lovers out there I do hope you use leads particular this time of year when we start having ground nesting birds about

I am grateful this was a small dog and not a big one because if it was it could be a different story.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Very timely, was out yesterday passed a women and her Dog on my bike (not on a lead) and it started chasing me, snarling and yapping...So i just road faster, it kept chasing me for about 2km, my mate who was with me had held back, told me the woman was shouting the Dogs name as we disappeared around a corner apparently she had a quite a good workout running after us eventually she caught up with the dog ( out of breath )and clipped the lead on.

So all you dog lovers out there I do hope you use leads particular this time of year when we start having ground nesting birds about

I am grateful this was a small dog and not a big one because if it was it could be a different story.
Nothing winds me up more than a dog off lead and an owner who cannot control it. I always keep my dogs on lead and get really peed off when a big dog runs up to us and scares the life out of me and the owner shouts "it's alright he's really friendly":swear:

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I hate dogs off leads with no recall.

Had a row last week after some little Terrier went for my ankles so naturally it got the boot. Owner called me a stupid man and how she didn’t bite, when it just bit me……

I was grateful my own dogs weren’t with me, it wouldn’t have just had the boot. Mine have got awful recall and are only ever off the lead in an enclosed field.

I would consider a can of fly spray or other noxious but legal liquid in a can that sprays a long way.

IMG_1247.jpeg

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I hate dogs off leads with no recall.

Had a row last week after some little Terrier went for my ankles so naturally it got the boot. Owner called me a stupid man and how she didn’t bite, when it just bit me……

I was grateful my own dogs weren’t with me, it wouldn’t have just had the boot. Mine have got awful recall and are only ever off the lead in an enclosed field.

View attachment 868244
Mine are little buggers and will not come back on recall so I keep them on lead for that reason and we have two fields and a large garden for them to run on at home (y) beautiful dog by the way:h:

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Pretend to pick up a stone or do if one is to hand, go to throw it dog will run. This does not work on UK dogs.
Are UK dogs different?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Mine are little buggers and will not come back on recall so I keep them on lead for that reason and we have two fields for them to run on at home (y) beautiful dog by the way:h:
Thank you, mine are just the same but big and scary. There is no way I would ever let them run towards people.

Alas not all owners are as considerate.

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you, mine are just the same but big and scary. There is no way I would ever let them run towards people.

Alas not all owners are as considerate.
I would say most aren't. Went for a walk in Burnham Beeches today. Saw maybe 20 dogs. Only one was put on a lead when it passed us. The others had the run of the place, including running or walking right up to us, and cavorting in areas that were off limits to allow vegetation to recover. One owner of a big dog indulgently said "oh yes, she will walk very close to you" as she rubbed past my legs. Admittedly none of the dogs were aggressive today. But sometimes they are. And then the owners sometimes get really angry with you if you show any concern.

I had a real set to with a young yob about two years ago (not at Burnham Beeches) when his dog charged and I shouted at it. He started insulting me from 50 yards away, expecting to get away with it. I let rip with such volume and intent that he left in shock.

Are UK dogs different?

In many places, reaching down for a stone and making to throw it causes most dogs to back off as they understand those rules of engagement. In the UK I guess they may not because who ever reaches down for a rock with which to smash sweety pie the pit bull's skull?

Imagine the scene - menacing dog appears with blase owner 50 yards behind. Pedestrian picks up half a brick and makes threatening lunges in the direction of the dog. How does the owner react?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Are UK dogs different?
Yes independent and have their own British sovereignty including the German Shepards, Dashounds and French Bulldogs ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back