What three words (1 Viewer)

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
I have been using "MAPCODE" for a couple of years and find it very good, this what 3 words seams to have copied that.
I think Mapcode was written by the guy wrote the software for my satnav.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Interesting being called a Dinosuar and a Mappy both in one day. W3W is not a map it’s a destination ! a map will help you get to where you want to go it includes hazards obstructions obstacles features and heaven forbid places of interest and the ability for a detour

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Why oh why can't they use words that mean something without their app, like maybe your house number and street, oh hold on though we already have that though, it's called your address :doh: :doh:
So what's the address of the ditch you're upside down in 25m off the side of the unnamed single track road you've just crashed off? The nearest house is 3 miles away.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
There are others who have posted and have said they would not, numbers for some are very easy to remember more than words not every one is the same. and I do not see the point in W3W but others do as I have said many times each to thier own

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
You're wasting your time, Coolcats will just change the point of the argument and keep on digging:giggle:
I agree with you Jim, but have not been rude or abusive to anyone also its not an argument but a perspective on the value of W3W.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well now I am understanding it better, Little wonder I couldn't make head nor tail of it, I hadn't downloaded it. I just could not understand where you were getting these three words from. Now I am more or less up to speed with it. One question that I'm sure to most is self explanatory .
If I a friend is attempting to locate me if I'm standing outside john lewis in Oxford street. How do we find each other using this app.?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well now I am understanding it better, Little wonder I couldn't make head nor tail of it, I hadn't downloaded it. I just could not understand where you were getting these three words from. Now I am more or less up to speed with it. One question that I'm sure to most is self explanatory .
If I a friend is attempting to locate me if I'm standing outside john lewis in Oxford street. How do we find each other using this app.?
You open it up and it tells you the three word square you are standing on , you then tell your friend the words , they open there app and put the words in , which in turn tells them where you are.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You open it up and it tells you the three word square you are standing on , you then tell your friend the words , they open there app and put the words in , which in turn tells them where you are.
Btw you have both got to have smart phones with a signal and the app installed. :giggle:

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
Interesting being called a Dinosuar and a Mappy both in one day. W3W is not a map it’s a destination ! a map will help you get to where you want to go it includes hazards obstructions obstacles features and heaven forbid places of interest and the ability for a detour
That is true

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thank you chaser this could become a useful app, One possible disadvantage is my voice control, having to find the three words before I can tell it where to go. I use voice control for almost everything. I cant think of a way around this with this app. Am I missing something?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thank you chaser this could become a useful app, One possible disadvantage is my voice control, having to find the three words before I can tell it where to go. I use voice control for almost everything. I cant think of a way around this with this app. Am I missing something?
You can just ping them the W3W using share. to whatsapp email messages etc. They then receive it and can use the nav of their choiceGoogle, apple maps ect to find you. Google maps will take to that 3m square

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
You don't need to tell it anything. If you open the app it will highlight your three word. You then click on the "share" button and it gives you choices of how to share, such as email, text, WhatsApp etc.

Just seen that Jim beat me to it. :giggle:

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
The iOS version of the app does have a voice input option.

At the top where the three words are shown, to the right is a speech bubble with three lines inside, this allows you to input the three words if you choose.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Just because maybe you don’t want to use it, please don’t criticise others who think it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

It’s a bit like going on a thread about motorbikes and saying that horses are a better mode of transport!

As Jim said, Be Nice and perhaps just accept others’ preferences.

For the record, the’re not! 🏍 👍 😉

And if it was about me , yes I'm still here, always here in fact :doh: , and no intent of posting about this anymore till someone brings me back into it.

Apologies! 😉

Ian

Aug 9, 2018
Funster No
Yes, it is the future. Emergency services in an increasing number of countries are using it to locate people in remote locations. Some car manufacturers are already including in their sat bags.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
The iOS version of the app does have a voice input option.

At the top where the three words are shown, to the right is a speech bubble with three lines inside, this allows you to input the three words if you choose.
So does the Android version.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Just downloaded the app now all I need is for someone to explain to me how to use it ,just tapped on screen for my address and it gives me two different 3 words , is that right .

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I like the idea of what3words, and have it installed.
However a question. If W3W is accurate to within a 3 meter square, are navigation systems such as Google, TomTom etc. capable of navigating with the same accuracy. I was always under the impression that although military GPS was highly accurate, civilian GPS was deliberately downgraded.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Just downloaded the app now all I need is for someone to explain to me how to use it ,just tapped on screen for my address and it gives me two different 3 words , is that right .
Assuming your address is larger than 3m x 3m there will several 3 Word combinations for it. If you zoom in closely on the map your front and back doors (if you have them) will almost certainly be different - Another advantage of the system when trying to find exact locations at a large building.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
It will if you clicked on a different 3m x 3m square the second time.

It has a very high resolution.

Ian

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I think the app is cool and fun to use. However, it's not infallible. I recently found a rare fungus while walking in the woods, and sent the W3W location to a friend who photographs and catalogues fungi in our area. Unfortunately the location he received had me standing about 300 metres out into a nearby lake. It was a remote area, but I was surprised that the app completely failed to give the location accurately. (or did I make some error?)
It makes me a little doubtful about relying on it ...........

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I like the idea of what3words, and have it installed.
However a question. If W3W is accurate to within a 3 meter square, are navigation systems such as Google, TomTom etc. capable of navigating with the same accuracy. I was always under the impression that although military GPS was highly accurate, civilian GPS was deliberately downgraded.
GPS for civilian use is deliberately downgraded.
Also the height/depth feature is disabled.

W3W uses triangulation between mobile phone masts
Hence in urban areas (or festival sites, for which it was invented) it is accurate to within 3m

In Snowdonia (for example) with a flakey intermittent phone signal, it can be quite a long way adrift, however it you take a number of readings over say an hour, you can usually get within 50m or so. Which should be close enough for the Mountain Rescue team.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back