What three words (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I didn’t have phone signal but managed to use W3W and used my phone to make the 999 call. My number didn’t show up for the 999 operator as I wasn’t using the normal network.
Emergency calls can be made on any network if your home network provider does not happen to cover where you are, however there are many not spots, if there is no cell signal from any provider Sooty's wand cannot magic a connection. So I guess you were fortunate to have a signal from a nearby receiver.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Of course I am not wrong without a Mobile signal you cannot communicate either by making a call or sending a text. Your sat nav will work without a Celluar signal as it uses GPS just as your mobile does which allows location services!

Im not mentioning XXX just outlining out reliance on a phone signal being present to make a call whether is XXX or YYY for location and again if your really anxious about being found the only reliable device is a PLB for global coverage.

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
That is what I said

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Oh no just pointing out if no phone signal the only thing that will help is a PLB.
Despite critisising you on an earlier post, I do agree with this! Our son treks to a lot of out of the way places, and we have received messages and replied to him at Everest Base Camp and the top of Mt Kilimanjaro via his PLB.

PLB - See Here

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Despite critisising you on an earlier post, I do agree with this! Our son treks to a lot of out of the way places, and we have received messages and replied to him at Everest Base Camp and the top of Mt Kilimanjaro via his PLB.

PLB - See Here
It’s ok to criticise me Twxt is a bit flat and know it can come across a bit iffy. Great to see he is using one of those 👍

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Thanks for that update.
I had wanted to update my post #119 above but thought the thread was gone dead......I went back to my original remote location recently and took a little more time to activate the app, load the map etc and then posted the W3W locations in a small radius. This time they were all accurate, so am putting the original map error down to my own lack of attention..rather than to the app.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Been watching some of the motorhome travels on Youtube, a bit annoying when they visit a lovely looking town/area and briefly mention the name (but not how to spell it) , but one couple's video clips show the location using What Three Words, very useful in this circumstance.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Following that article in the previous posting, I looked up advanced mobile location (AML) it seems that this is now embedded into Mobiles such as Android and Apple and when an emergency has happened just call the emergency services have been called they will find you. It has also been rolled out to Australia.....No App download required....who knew

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Have it on my phone but how does it work !!!

Pirahna

Free Member
Aug 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
Since never. I've been a lightweight tent camper for the last 45 years.
Have it on my phone but how does it work !!!

Open the app. At the top left of the screen are 3 horizontal bars, touch these to reveal a menu, one of the options is "Tutorial".

Sorry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back