What three words (1 Viewer)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Because always carrying the relevant paper maps for wherever you are, waterproof cover and compass and, and... is just so much more convenient and cheaper when you're at the park looking for your pal is just so much more convenient than using your phone
Clearly you need a map or gps as W3W is a destination point not the journey so when your ‘out there’ navigating across country you need a map and compass (or gps device if you use one). So no it’s not cheaper and more convenient. Gps co ordinate can also be far more accurate to the point you can find your 5p coin or wedding ring by using it.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Clearly you need a map or gps as W3W is a destination point not the journey so when your ‘out there’ navigating across country you need a map and compass (or gps device if you use one). So no it’s not cheaper and more convenient. Gps co ordinate can also be far more accurate to the point you can find your 5p coin or wedding ring by using it.
Here we go again! We get that you don't like it!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
So go for a walk and be unfortunate enough to have an accident. And wait and wait for someone to come and stem that badly bleeding leg because you refuse to use W3W. Fine......... that would be not only your problem but also that of the emergency service who waste time looking for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
So go for a walk and be unfortunate enough to have an accident. And wait and wait for someone to come and stem that badly bleeding leg because you refuse to use W3W. Fine......... that would be not only your problem but also that of the emergency service who waste time looking for you.
Nah - he’ll be fine. He’s memorised a 16 number gps co-ordinate for every 3 feet he walks.

Anyways he said he isn’t going to post anymore on this thread .....

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
(last post on this thread from me) :cool: (y)
I wish that was true!

We are well aware that you don't see the value of W3W. However why try and discourage others from using it? It is clear from the media, and Funster's experiences that it works. If just one person who is in trouble is rescued by using the App that should be enough for you. I personally love paper maps, but also see the value of new technology.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I wish that was true!

We are well aware that you don't see the value of W3W. However why try and discourage others from using it? It is clear from the media, and Funster's experiences that it works. If just one person who is in trouble is rescued by using the App that should be enough for you. I personally love paper maps, but also see the value of new technology.
agreed. It does work, very well. we were travelling through a rural area where I had no network, but i managed to call 999 to the car on its roof, and through W3W was able to give the emergency services the exact location, instead of we just drove through whatever village and don’t know the road name!

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004

navigate using w3w. and you can also navigate and find addresses when no internet connection.
Similar where you can "download" google maps for use offline but this also works "live" without the terrain shown

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I’ve just woken up and the dinosaurs are back! It is so strange and narrow minded that all because they can’t see the value in something to themselves they just cannot give in and say “oh yes, actually I can see how useful that would be to millions”. What silly billies, it’s our new grey waste topic.

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
I'm a fan of W3W. So easy to use and to let other know where you are.

Did you know you can enter a post code in W3W? You can then select the correct square to get the W3W. I went to a sailing club whose postcode was the nearest town rather than the club site itself. Very handy to be able to look it up and then click "Navigate To".

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I downloaded it just for fun not actually expecting to use it but when we were walking on our local beach at Sandilands on Sunday we discovered a baby seal that appeared to be stranded on the beach. We called the RSPCA and I used the app to give them the exact location. It was worth it just for that (y)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Ok shoot me down, and I even have it on my phone never used.
But can anyone tell me a dafter way of directing anyone than three unconnected words that don't work in a country with a different language.
Why oh why can't they use words that mean something without their app, like maybe your house number and street, oh hold on though we already have that though, it's called your address :doh: :doh:
Well Chaser, W3W would have been extremely useful when we were trying to find that pub near you where we had arranged to meet ianthebuilder . Spent best part of 20 mins driving round deserted country lanes until we spotted the pub. Furthermore, on the road where I live a lot of the houses only have a name and not a house number (ours included) and I often feel very sorry for the delivery drivers who are searching for a house name.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I’ve just woken up and the dinosaurs are back! It is so strange and narrow minded that all because they can’t see the value in something to themselves they just cannot give in and say “oh yes, actually I can see how useful that would be to millions”. What silly billies, it’s our new grey waste topic.
I think you will find I have said in previous posts each to their own you choose to use it I choose not to, that does not make anyone a dinosaur It is also rude and disrespectful to name call.

W3W is another location identification technology,

If I had problems finding locations I may find it useful but fortunately I do not. At one point I was driving 45,000 miles a year hundreds of visits to customers never had an issue in finding were I needed to be. Navigating across country (trekking) again never an issue, probably due to planning my walks with escape points. So I know where I am just as any seasoned Walker will do. I have gps on my watch and phone if I ever need it (never had to date) so for me personally I see no point in W3W.

Maybe we should all carry PLB’s that way you won’t have to mumble the 3 words when calling the emergency services if we are that worried about being found.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I missed the first thread and did not intend this to become a contentious thread. I do remember similar objections to say nav when it first came in. Some people are just very resistant to change and because they have always done without new tec don't, or won't see the value.
We saw this with direct debit. People refusing to use it, then complaining that they didn't get the same discounts as those who did.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Well Chaser, W3W would have been extremely useful when we were trying to find that pub near you where we had arranged to meet ianthebuilder . Spent best part of 20 mins driving round deserted country lanes until we spotted the pub. Furthermore, on the road where I live a lot of the houses only have a name and not a house number (ours included) and I often feel very sorry for the delivery drivers who are searching for a house name.
A map will show a pubs location and depending on your satnav, satnav are known to hold pub/restaurant and other local amenities as well.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know if you are talking about me as I see someone else is getting flak as well now, I have no objection to anyone useing anything they want, and as I say I also have it on my phone unused, but the thing I try to get across is this is a commercial app, and by the very nature of it, it is diluting all the systems that are already in operation that have been used for hundreds of years, and somewhere along the way someone is going to have to pay for this, as I don't think the owners of this app are doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.
That's it really, no need to call anyone names who you have never met and don't know over something so stupid as an app on your phone. (y) :sun:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
A map will show a pubs location and depending on your satnav, satnav are known to hold pub/restaurant and other local amenities as well.

Just because maybe you don’t want to use it, please don’t criticise others who think it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

It’s a bit like going on a thread about motorbikes and saying that horses are a better mode of transport!

As Jim said, Be Nice and perhaps just accept others’ preferences.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
As I said earlier, this app comes in to it's own where there are no street names and house numbers, and it doesn't have to be miles from anywhere, it can be in an area not regarded as 'remote'. The W3W website has links to Search and Rescue and other social media sites where it's been used to good effect. When I was a police officer in the New Forest (in the early 90's) I dealt with an incident where a woman had been thrown from her horse and landed on the remains of a Gorse bush that had been burnt as part of the forest management. It leaves pretty lethal burnt spikes where the thick branches emerge from the ground, and she was in a bad way. She was a good half mile from the nearest gravel track ... I had the advantage of a good amount of local knowledge of that part of the forest and a lightweight motorcycle, so found her relatively quickly but by no means immediately. Talking the ambulance crew in was a different matter, it took forever. Had the technology existed then it would have saved her hours of discomfort and lead to a speedier recovery.
My work from 1993 to 2020 was associated with Emergency Services communications, one way or another. One of the things I was involved in was updating a county Command and Control system with the locations of all the places where stuff happens that don't have a postcode or street number, so aren't in the commercial gazetteers that form the basis for location finding software - this was a constant ongoing task, in truth probably never fully completed. W3W has been a live topic in the Emergency Services community ever since it was first introduced and is now widely accepted as a useful tool that saves lives.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
It’s a great tool! I’ve used it regularly for over a year.... The coastguard and RNLI use it.... some kids stranded on a sandbank last year were able to call and give there W3W and RNLI went straight to them , just before the sandbank was underwater!

it works worldwide... 👍
Try.

This 3 word address refers to an exact 3m x 3m location. Tap the link or enter the 3 words into the free what3words app to find it.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Just because maybe you don’t want to use it, please don’t criticise others who think it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

It’s a bit like going on a thread about motorbikes and saying that horses are a better mode of transport!

As Jim said,Be Nice and perhaps just accept others’ preferences.
As I have said each to their own which means I am not criticising and if read that way I apologise. W3W could well be valued by some but others value skills from “being out there” so we are talking about personal values and skills which differ from person to person. As chaser points out the tech companies always have an angle and often it is about data collection.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just because maybe you don’t want to use it,

Initially he misunderstood what it was and how it is used because went on about how he'd prefer to use his map and compass. Rather than comeback and say Oh yes, I can see how useful that might be and leave it there. He just carried on digging a hole. He's still at it :D. Does What3words work underground? :D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Are these last 4 posts about me or the other bloke, I never mentioned a map and compass, and I havnt slagged anyone off, and never stopped anyone useing whatever they want, just my opinion of what might happen when they want their money back.
And if it was about me , yes I'm still here, always here in fact :doh: , and no intent of posting about this anymore till someone brings me back into it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back