What reaaaally bugs you about your motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
The dinette lights which can't be turned on independently of the main overhead lighting so its like Blackpool illuminations (I know other Carthagos don't have this issue).
In our Carthago - a different model to yours - the sprung light switches in the lounge area have a dimming facility and go very low on maximum dim. Do you have the same?

You may think it a silly question to ask but it took me a year of ownership to discover this feature :doh:

:rofl:

huck999

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Fiat Ducato comfortmatic - Push up to change down and push down to change up.

So intuitive!

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
Our last van had a heated waste water tank. All well and good, but someone - in their infinite wisdom - put the switch at foot level under the table.

Firstly, we kicked it on without realising it, but we also couldn't tell because we couldn't bl∞dy see it! Clever.

What annoys you about your van? :giggle:
I’ll start here; I’m 5 foot nothing, and my motorhome was designed by a 6 foot six left-handed German.

So I can’t reach the cupboards without a stool to open them as you’ll have to pull them so far up, That also means, I can’t open the Hekki

Yet the biggest drawback for me is the kitchen, it isn’t at all like the kitchen in the motorhome we ordered, they have swapped the hob and the sink around, so I have to stand on the left to do the washing up as the sink is now on the right hand side and as I’m so short I’m on tiptoes and my clothes get wet if it’s winter because where you put them to dry in a collapsible bowl on the right you get wet.

Also when we ordered the motorhome, the table to eat from was one that you could lift in and out from the sidewalk, but when the motorhome arrived 11 months later, it was one of those huge fixed one that go up and down.

The other bugbear, which we did know, Is the shower is the smallest we’ve ever had, a bit too narrow.

No I don’t like my motorhome, and seriously considering selling it, and actually giving up altogether.

We’ve owned six motorhomes in 31 years, so we should know what we want, you would think so wouldn’t you?

Carol
www.carolweaver.co.uk/Travel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Front windscreen scoosher filling point in the Ducato. No way is a bottle of ready-mix screenwash is getting anywhere near the very well concealed, tiny filler cap.

ecky

Free Member
Jul 21, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer motorhome
Exp
since the 70s
Trying to clean the windscreen, inside and out. too damn tall to get to.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Fiat Ducato comfortmatic - Push up to change down and push down to change up.

So intuitive!
That's the racing car pattern. Going faster you're pulled back. Slowing down you're pushed forwards.

It was the same on my previous Ford and BMW. But I drove a Lexus with it the other way around and I couldn't get used to it.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
My gripe is the blind spot the mirrors create when entering a roundabout. I'm bobbing and weaving like Anthony Joshua on the approach.
Ah yes, I’d forgotten the mirrors.
Not so much a problem in the U.K. as we are LHD but a bu&&er in France.
All those pidly little cars the the French love so much just disappear as they charge onto the roundabouts flat out.
Perhaps it’s time to replace these huge mirrors with cameras.

Richard.

Aug 18, 2017
SK10
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Too many warranty repairs in first couple of years of ownership. Very stressful, eased slightly by finding a dealer much closer to home than the one we bought from.

The crazy cost of keeping the Hymer water ingress warranty going.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Ah yes, I’d forgotten the mirrors.
Not so much a problem in the U.K. as we are LHD but a bu&&er in France.
All those pidly little cars the the French love so much just disappear as they charge onto the roundabouts flat out.
Perhaps it’s time to replace these huge mirrors with cameras.

Richard.
"bugger"?

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
We wish that the water heater could make use of the waste heat from the engine so that when you stop after a drive that there is immediate hot water! We had a narrowboat (share) for some years and that had a link between the hot water and the engine. On Bertie we have to put the Truma on when we stop and wait half an hour for hot water. Other than that the only real gripe is engine noise - this is not major but does get a bit tiring after a couple of hours. Whilst we love Bertie very much and have slept on board for almost 400 nights in the last 6 years, the one thing that might tempt me to an upgrade would be a quiet smooth driving experience! I dream of an electric motorhome but I know that we could never afford one of these even if a good one became available. I did wonder about a conversion but the costs are HUGE!
My Murvi does just that, uses the engine heat to heat habitation water, as for the hard to see dials and low handbrake. These were both addressed when I removed the little used swivel from the drivers seat on my Ducato as it lowers it by a couple of inches. Hope that of help?

Apr 19, 2017
Newark
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coach built
Exp
Since 1993
Not being able to read the Ducato speedo when in shadow. Easy fix would be to change to white background with black numerals. Unfortunately Lockwood don't sell a conversion for the 250 only the later vans.
Also agree with all the comments regarding the steering wheel stalks.
Fiat really need to get there act together if they want to stay top of the go to chassis supplier, especially now the transit is 1k cheaper

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
My biggest gripe is with the Designers , to stick a Telly up near the roof is not good on the neck.Plus I find it hard to believe that whatever Motorhome you own there is not something you find annoying

Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
Our last van had a heated waste water tank. All well and good, but someone - in their infinite wisdom - put the switch at foot level under the table.

Firstly, we kicked it on without realising it, but we also couldn't tell because we couldn't bl∞dy see it! Clever.

What annoys you about your van? :giggle:
MKk
Rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles.
Ps - I own an Elddis :giggle:

Buy an IH, no rattles.

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
The fixed table that was supposed to go up & down but didn’t & took every opportunity to bruise limbs until it got stashed in my loft.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In our Carthago - a different model to yours - the sprung light switches in the lounge area have a dimming facility and go very low on maximum dim. Do you have the same?
You may think it a silly question to ask but it took me a year of ownership to discover this feature :doh:

:rofl:
I checked this out not long after we first got it as someone else mentioned that they might be dimmable but no joy I'm afraid, I was intending to alter the wiring so the two lights directly over the table could be switched independently but I'd rather not if I can help it so have been looking at alternatives but not come up with anything so far (not that I've done a lot of 'looking').

When I was rummaging in the attic a couple of weeks ago though I 'discovered' a forgotten light - it's a clamp-on LED desk light, not good enough for when I do jigsaw puzzles (hence why it ended up in the attic) but might be okay for the MH. It's meant to run on 230v but when I checked the 'transformer' block I found it just converts it to 12v so I'll see if it's provides sufficient light and if so I'll run a cable from the side 12v socket in the cab (live all the time when the control panel is on) and clamp the light over the table.

syelad

Free Member
May 23, 2021
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4i
Exp
I’m a newbie - since 2021
Ridiculously large table in our Bailey. Once it’s up you either can’t get into the seats or if you’re already seated that’s you stuck.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That will give us former 'yotties' an edge.

My gripe is the blind spot the mirrors create when entering a roundabout. I'm bobbing and weaving like Anthony Joshua on the approach.
You obviously have the same trendy top mount mirrors as me 😁

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Same issue with our mirrors, earlier models had the mirrors attached lower down so you could at least see over the top of them, but we've got the top mounted 'coach' type ones which not only block the view for the driver but also means you miss some of the lovely scenery trying to peek round them. If the camera systems were cheaper I'd seriously consider replacing ours with their set-up.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I suppose the upside is that, unlike Clarky, I shall be OK 'over there' where, given the kamikaze propensities of Gallic drivers, it will be more important.

Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix
Exp
13 years
Its got to be the back window on our Adria, the window is a push-open to latch, push further to release the latch. The window is in the toilet/shower room at the rear of the MH and is required to be opened regularly when the motorhome is in use.
On the outside of the window is the Thule bike rack and this limits how far the window opens. It opens enough to reach the first 'latching' point but wont open further enough to unlatch it.
We have a solution to live with this issue, carefully wedge it open with a used toilet roll inner cardboard tube. However open the window just a little to far and it latches needing the 2 window stay units to be unscrewed from the window frame in order the open them out and return them to the closed position.
We have to keep a cross-head screwdriver at hand for this operation.
Does anyone know of a 'fix' for this ? ( apart from removing the bike rack, which we use on most trips ).

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Its got to be the back window on our Adria, the window is a push-open to latch, push further to release the latch. The window is in the toilet/shower room at the rear of the MH and is required to be opened regularly when the motorhome is in use.
On the outside of the window is the Thule bike rack and this limits how far the window opens. It opens enough to reach the first 'latching' point but wont open further enough to unlatch it.
We have a solution to live with this issue, carefully wedge it open with a used toilet roll inner cardboard tube. However open the window just a little to far and it latches needing the 2 window stay units to be unscrewed from the window frame in order the open them out and return them to the closed position.
We have to keep a cross-head screwdriver at hand for this operation.
Does anyone know of a 'fix' for this ? ( apart from removing the bike rack, which we use on most trips ).
Couldn’t you drill a couple of new catch holes, so it catches less open?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back