What reaaaally bugs you about your motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
  • The handbrake is way too low too, but that's an issue

For people with the handbrake issue, have a look at this accessory .... https://amzn.to/3GtDfhe

I have over-length arms but still find this useful :)

Ref tables, I have the full-size freestanding table in my AutoTrail and I thought would be much too big to use, but I have found it dead handy for outside use so just leave it in its dedicated little locker until I need it - and for inside I fitted a Lagun table mount system on which I fitted an offset 50cm round top, which is really good for all sorts of uses :)

Bjwwil

Free Member
Oct 11, 2020
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Majestic285
Exp
that i could wrap everything in bubble wrap including me and the old boy and we would still have a random squeak or rattle from somewhere...we also own an elddis!

ronecc1

Free Member
Jun 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
in between
Where do I start? Let'start with the base price of the vehicle the manufacturers buy them for and end up with the profit at the other end. In between, in many cases, is poor design and very poor workmanship.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Don't really notice any rattles on our Elddis, Ann wedges a kitchen roll in the grill that's all.

What annoys me most is having to slam the habitation door, it's bent so if I adjust it so we don't have to slam it, there's a gap down the middle 😒. Also the seat belt siren, not a pleasant ding ding reminder like the car but a SIREN 😡

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The oven door which opens downward. Great if you fit the oven at knee level, but crap if it sits on top of the fridge & freezer. Mrs DDJC can't even see into it, which means I do all the cooking.
If the oven is like ours you can put the light on and look at the roof and get a reflection of what is cooking(y)

Jan 26, 2020
Marske-by-the-Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toscana 715
Exp
caravanned 59,000 klms right round Australia..does that count?
Going to tempt providence and say Nothing!.... Hobby Toscana 750, dog's danglies, thrilled with everything about it.... (y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We got as far as our first overnight. Removed table & 'leg' and asked tugger friends who were leaving the following day to take it home for us. I say 'leg' but it was a small storage unit for wine bottles & had a lit-up converters logo, a 13A socket, and a USB socket. :ROFLMAO:
I know the feeling….. I was going to remove the identical table in mine as it simply got in the way. Someone on here was even kind enough to give instructions on how to finish it neatly. In the end I didn’t bother and got used to it. The big table was very useful when “working from home”.

That is about the only niggle apart from the ridiculous place for the Adblue filler combined with the fact that the special spill proof filling adaptor always leaks so stopped using it

philmc79

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 4, 2018
East Manchester
Funster No
MH
LP Coach Built
Exp
since 2 weeks ago
The fixed table in the lounge area who ever designed that never tried to use it, in the end I modified it so it moves north, south, east, and west, also 360Deg, also the lack of use of upper space in the garage, could do with an upper shelf.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Converter too tight to put two waste outlets in the shower tray. And not enough 230V outlets in hab area. Common problems, I think. Other than that, we love it.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A minor niggle is that there is no obvious and sensible place to put a second leisure battery but we've never needed one so far.

Apart from that it is the cost of parts when something minor gets broken.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The fixed table in the lounge area who ever designed that never tried to use it, in the end I modified it so it moves north, south, east, and west, also 360Deg, also the lack of use of upper space in the garage, could do with an upper shelf.
Why not put in some eyelet type bolts and then use an elasticated roof rack net strung between them. Easy to fit and things like windscreen corners etc can be put up there along with other lighter stuff, that's what I used to do in previous MHs.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles, rattles.
Ps - I own an Elddis :giggle:
I own and Elddis. Tea towels placed strategically have reduced my rattles to a barely noticeable level.
And I don't mean in my ears.

Dec 19, 2014
edinburgh
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 694
Exp
since 2004
I've a R/T 694 and love it except for the bathroom sink - it's a 'trendy' bowl which takes up far too much room and impossible to clean. life's a compromise!

Jan 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
1997 Hymer B564
Exp
We wish that the water heater could make use of the waste heat from the engine so that when you stop after a drive that there is immediate hot water! We had a narrowboat (share) for some years and that had a link between the hot water and the engine. On Bertie we have to put the Truma on when we stop and wait half an hour for hot water. Other than that the only real gripe is engine noise - this is not major but does get a bit tiring after a couple of hours. Whilst we love Bertie very much and have slept on board for almost 400 nights in the last 6 years, the one thing that might tempt me to an upgrade would be a quiet smooth driving experience! I dream of an electric motorhome but I know that we could never afford one of these even if a good one became available. I did wonder about a conversion but the costs are HUGE!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
OK here goes,

Bathroom sink is that big Mrs Funflair declares you could bath a baby in it (don't know how she knows that) but needs a lot of water just to wash your face.

She says that the wine glass cupboard is "naff" doesn't worry me as it functional.

The gas crash valve keeps tripping out, that bugs me as I have to go out and sort it.

Anything else that really bugged me/us has been sorted by me, microwave wasn't on inverter backed circuit but is now ✔️, didn't like the twin beds but we knew we wouldn't "sorted" ✔️, some of the USB sockets were upside down "sorted" ✔️, and some were under the 240v socket "sorted"✔️, rain water ran around the top of the door frame and dripped when you opened the door "sorted"✔️ and a few others but that's just all about getting the van to suit us not the average Joe Public.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We wish that the water heater could make use of the waste heat from the engine so that when you stop after a drive that there is immediate hot water! We had a narrowboat (share) for some years and that had a link between the hot water and the engine. On Bertie we have to put the Truma on when we stop and wait half an hour for hot water. Other than that the only real gripe is engine noise - this is not major but does get a bit tiring after a couple of hours. Whilst we love Bertie very much and have slept on board for almost 400 nights in the last 6 years, the one thing that might tempt me to an upgrade would be a quiet smooth driving experience! I dream of an electric motorhome but I know that we could never afford one of these even if a good one became available. I did wonder about a conversion but the costs are HUGE!
Have you tried a "Noise Killer" engine blanket for the noise? they do work.

Deleted User
The Truma heater is in the rear corner while we use the cab area to sit/dine. Heat comes out well in the bed area and the shower but very little from the ducts in the cab area.

Otherwise it seems spot on.
We have the same problem. We bought a length of tumble dryer flexible vent pipe which we call the python cos it has a life of it's own ! We cut two pieces to length and now the really hot air is ducted into the cab.

Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
We love our Rapido, but really wish it were easier to clean the hatches, particularly those in the shower & loo. There are so many fiddly little corners in the acrylic, which are so difficult to get to. Oh, and wish we had a door bin - the bucket bin which can't be removed is impossible to clean :rolleyes:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
that i could wrap everything in bubble wrap including me and the old boy and we would still have a random squeak or rattle from somewhere...we also own an elddis!
I think I know your bruvver, andsome geezer 😇

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I don't like how tall our motorhome is. Makes it a bitch to keep the roof clean :(
'Tried ignoring it but a) our home's landing window is the right place to view the MH roof :( and b) eventually the rooflight gets obscured by algae :crying1:

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
The Memsahib hates the high Dometic TecTower oven.
It’s not a problem for us because I’m the household chef and I’m a lot taller than SWMBO.

Perhaps you could try this solution Richard.

:rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back