What new pleasures have you found in Lockdown? (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
There is a lot of talk about what we cannot do, but as in the thread title what have you found that is a new pleasure during Lockdown.

It may be small or big, or maybe multiple pleasures.

I will kick off with a personal very small one. I have been on a diet, successfully completed losing 17kgs in 17 weeks, during which I found great pleasure in eating some wonderful Polish apples which have been large, crisp, juicy and cheap. Not sure if this season was special. Even the ones from our garden were good if smaller. I am now a bit 'hooked' on them.

There must be bigger and better examples of new pleasures.

Over to you lot.

Geoff

Mar 28, 2009
Langford, Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
Since 1995
1. The pleasures of gardening - well what else could you do during lockdown
2. Digitising approx 50 photo albums (ours and ones inherited from deceased parents)
3. As a spin-off from (2) re-discovering family history that we did some years back
4. Losing 2.5 stone since last Xmas and walking/cycling miles every day

It's an ill wind ...........etc etc

Bazza

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Iā€™ve been making cheese and doing some machine embroidery.

260D8F4D-49D3-40C0-9FE3-19F145AAD90F.jpeg
16750A4C-5A3F-444F-9912-360541895F64.jpeg

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
I've started taking a proper lunch break and having grown bored of doing the same mountain bike trails, bought an electric mountain bike so I can extend my range in my power hour. One of the best things I've bought and it has also encouraged me to use the manual bike more as I go back to revisit the new places I've found. Loving it

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
First lock down did loads in the garden built a bin store and started a garden railway, went out on the bike every other day, then went back to work part time and just piled on weight. Hoping they will cut my hours next week.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Learning to cook properly, have always done the cooking but always been rushed, however since Covid recovery, redundancy and enforced early retirement, I now do all of the cooking. to Sue's delight,
I use many more fresh ingredients, make all of my own sauces from scratch, lots of pasta and rice dishes, make my own potato wedges, using fresh herbs, which i have also started growing.
I find it very therapeutic and relaxing, as well as creative

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Started work on my 1963 Bedford Dormobile camper. Was supposed to be my retirement project but I started it early due to COVID. Had the gearbox reconditioned, stripped the engine down and sent away for machining. All parts collected and ready for assembly once the weather gets a bit warmer.
Also started baking as Iā€™m a Coeliac and can only eat gluten free food. Have made some lovely bread and cakes so far!

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
For those wanting solitary escapism and especially if they are gamers a VR headset is worth a look. Bought one on a whim a few weeks ago and although not really into gaming am enjoying messing about with them.

Prefer the other things you can do in VR like watching YT 360 videos, very weird feeling flying through snowy mountains and when you turn round you realise you are sitting on a guys head who is in a wingsuit, watching Netflix (like being at the cinema), wandering the earth in app similar to Google Street View.

Yesterday had an hour playing table tennis and 10 pin bowling, also played a shooting game against others from around the world.

Good for exercise too, a lot of games that get you sweating if that is of interest.

Although I mentioned solitary escapism, you can cast what you are doing to the TV so others can watch (although the flat screen doesn't do it justice), there are also puzzle games where you can play with others on their smartphones. If you know someone with the same headset and game, often you can meet up online (anywhere in the world or in the same room) and play against each other.

Definitely not for everyone, starting price Ā£299 (allow another Ā£50-100 to buy games to get you started) but might be of interest to some. Games are stored on the headset so no wires dangling, also means you can take it away in the MH, with plenty of things to do that do not need internet. For those with a gaming PC (not me), you can attach a cable and play a lot more games powered by your PC.

Games/apps cost from Free to around Ā£25 each but unlike other systems, if you buy one and don't like it you can return it for a refund as long as you have played it for less than 2 hours within 14 days.

Top tip, when you have finished playing table tennis, DON'T put your bats (controllers) down on the table (or lean on it).....It's not really there........:giggle: but that's how immersive it can be.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie
For those wanting solitary escapism and especially if they are gamers a VR headset is worth a look. Bought one on a whim a few weeks ago and although not really into gaming am enjoying messing about with them.

Prefer the other things you can do in VR like watching YT 360 videos, very weird feeling flying through snowy mountains and when you turn round you realise you are sitting on a guys head who is in a wingsuit, watching Netflix (like being at the cinema), wandering the earth in app similar to Google Street View.

What did you buy and are you using it with a PC or console?

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
What did you buy and are you using it with a PC or console?
Sorry, should have mentioned that, Oculus Quest 2, everything can be stored on the headset downloaded by app on your phone, no need for another games machine and/or PC, but as I mentioned, anyone with a powerful gaming PC can play other games via a cable.

One downside for some is Oculus is now owned by Facebook and you have to have a Facebook account. Obviously you dont have to use your FB account for anything else, but I have heard of people not buying one because of that requirement.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sorry, should have mentioned that, Oculus Quest 2, everything can be stored on the headset downloaded by app on your phone, no need for another games machine and/or PC, but as I mentioned, anyone with a powerful gaming PC can play other games via a cable.

One downside for some is Oculus is now owned by Facebook and you have to have a Facebook account. Obviously you dont have to use your FB account for anything else, but I have heard of people not buying one because of that requirement.
My neighbor has got one I had a play with it a couple of weeks ago very impressed but I'm not sure I want to spend Ā£300 on something that the novelty will wear off in a few months.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
My neighbor has got one I had a play with it a couple of weeks ago very impressed but I'm not sure I want to spend Ā£300 on something that the novelty will wear off in a few months.
Yes, it should not be an impulse buy, especially as Ā£300 is just the start.

Some people appear to buy one for the workout type games and have cancelled gym memberships. So for some would maybe keep them moving, especially during lockdown.

It will definitely appeal more to gamers but there are a lot more experiences available, enough for the whole family.

In the one day we shared with the family at Christmas, we had a lot of fun with it.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Walking the dog, screaming at people on Facebook who donā€™t believe the virus exists and spending a fortune on wooden jigsaw puzzles.
Hi AnnB are you talking about ā€˜Wentworthā€™ puzzles if so maybe you have some to sell then ?

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
I have adopted a donkey. Bought an electric wheelchair, a reclining chair and a walk in bath. Sponsored an asian child. Joined a Christmas club and an online slimming club. Left my savings to the dogs home.
I'm really looking forward to tomorrow afternoon's television.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Started work on my 1963 Bedford Dormobile camper. Was supposed to be my retirement project but I started it early due to COVID. Had the gearbox reconditioned, stripped the engine down and sent away for machining. All parts collected and ready for assembly once the weather gets a bit warmer.
Also started baking as Iā€™m a Coeliac and can only eat gluten free food. Have made some lovely bread and cakes so far!
Any pictures of ongoing resto ?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
There is a lot of talk about what we cannot do, but as in the thread title what have you found that is a new pleasure during Lockdown.

It may be small or big, or maybe multiple pleasures.

I will kick off with a personal very small one. I have been on a diet, successfully completed losing 17kgs in 17 weeks, during which I found great pleasure in eating some wonderful Polish apples which have been large, crisp, juicy and cheap. Not sure if this season was special. Even the ones from our garden were good if smaller. I am now a bit 'hooked' on them.

There must be bigger and better examples of new pleasures.

Over to you lot.

Geoff
Well done,,17 kg thats some weight loss. BUSBY..

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I used to be good with a sewing machine years ago so I'm trying to get back into it.......very slowly
I bought all new material to retrim the van 3 years ago but its never had enough downtime to get the work done
I'm still working but the weekends are now empty until at least may so I have started the retrim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back