What do you know about Portugal (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have to book 10 days away in October, what is Portugal like for a shore hotel break. Been looking at the Algarve any recommendations welcome, somewhere a bit lively with plenty of eating and drinking places. Also what is the weather like in mid October..
Thanks......

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
And I know you are not concerned about price but just the job to try out a budget flight with ryanair(y)

Deleted User
Weather can be a bit changeable but usually mostly good in October.

If you want lots of stuff going on then Albufeira (it has a 'strip' ) or Vilamoura neither to my taste but then not a lot is:)

A bit less frenetic but still lively is Alvor, Praia da Rocha or Lagos at the Western end of the Algarve.

My favourite would be Tavira but I am biased, not a great deal in the way of nightlife but enough eateries etc for my taste, not much 'Britishness' essentially Portuguese but still touristy and most people in bars etc speak English.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Buttons.All I can say is we love Portugal,and go regularly to Lagos which is in the western Algarve. 1 hour from Faro airport. Car hire is cheap,try Marina cars.
300 places to eat,variety of beaches,lots of small shops,old town.
Never stayed in a hotel,there,but there are three near the Marina which are good,unsurprisingly they have the name Marina in their name.
Last time we went in October the weather was superb,but obviously it becomes more variable as autumn comes. We are going back in November.Anybody who doesn't like it must be a bit odd, but I am a tad biased!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi Buttons.All I can say is we love Portugal,and go regularly to Lagos which is in the western Algarve. 1 hour from Faro airport. Car hire is cheap,try Marina cars.
300 places to eat,variety of beaches,lots of small shops,old town.
Never stayed in a hotel,there,but there are three near the Marina which are good,unsurprisingly they have the name Marina in their name.
Last time we went in October the weather was superb,but obviously it becomes more variable as autumn comes. We are going back in November.Anybody who doesn't like it must be a bit odd, but I am a tad biased!
Thanks Podnel, as daft as it sounds Lagos always puts a picture in my mind of an African sea port. I'm sure it couldn't be further from the place itself but it is funny how we get these pictures in our mind...;)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Lagos Pronounced Lagosh, but Alvor has my vote too, old town nice little harbour/Marina, nightlife if you want it plenty of very good restaurants and great beach and walks

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Spent a month in a apartment in Alvor beginning early December.very nice place.plenty of restaurants . Not all were open at that time of year , but enough were to give plenty of choice. Only upsetting thing was having to walk past the aire knowing that we had to wait til mid January to collect new van

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
One of my people will be along shortly to give you the lowdown on the place. Is a little early in the day for him at the minute :).

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks Podnel, as daft as it sounds Lagos always puts a picture in my mind of an African sea port. I'm sure it couldn't be further from the place itself but it is funny how we get these pictures in our mind...;)

Lagos is a lovely old town with terrific beaches,,bit touristy but low key,,BUSBY,,,,,,,NOT that far from airport either,,

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I'm following this thread with interest as we are planning our first trip ever to the Algarve in Sept/Oct next year.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
We will be going to Armacao De Pera for the winter trying an apartment this year. The only place I would not go is Villamoura just too artificial. We quite like Albufeira, but we tend to keep clear of the Strip area. Carvoireo is nice a bit upmarket as is Praia Dr Rocha.

Always check exactly where the hotel is, some operators use the postal address, so your Albufeira hotel could be ten miles away in the countryside.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Alvor gets my vote too! :)

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Many of the Alvor hotels are some way from the town which may have an impact on your choice, as I said check the exact hotel location before bookin

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
And I know you are not concerned about price but just the job to try out a budget flight with ryanair(y)
Well that is it thanks for your input, now dun and dusted Hotel flight and car booked through Thompson Half Board with a sea view at the Cerro Mar Garden Aparthotel, Albufeira. Booked midday flights from Luton leaving @ 0900hrs returning @ 1500hrs on Thompson Air. The hotel has some great reviews and appears to be fully booked on most of the dates that I have tried. Hopefully we will be doing a bit of touring spending a day or two having a good look around.(y)
So we will be staying in Albufeira. Any thoughts or comments or places to visit would be appreciated.(y):)

Last edited:

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
We're setting out for Portugal on Oct 14th through Eurotunnel through western France down through Ciudad Rodrigo into Porrtugal then we thought we would head across to the coast. We're stopping off at Guarda Aire, then on to Praia de Vagueira, Figueria da Fox, Obidos...probably:whistle:..... though things may work out differenty:whistle:. Lisbon has been recommended for a visit so I've found a caampsite Villa Franca de Xira (we don't like the idea of leaving our Harvey alone in an Aire all day) not far from the railway station a little way up the river from Lisbon..well get the train in and have a wander round the old part of the town. Next, probably, but not necessarily??Evora Monte Camping Alentejo then head off down to the Algarve stopping at Budens Alema Eco-Camp (has anyone been there?). We were going to high tail it along the rest of the Algarve as I didn't much like the sound of places along the coast but having read some of the above I think we may review that:) Alvor sounds like it might be worth a visit...an Aire nearby maybe? We're heading into Spain then to spend Christmas there along the Atlantic coast.:D

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We're setting out for Portugal on Oct 14th through Eurotunnel through western France down through Ciudad Rodrigo into Porrtugal then we thought we would head across to the coast. We're stopping off at Guarda Aire, then on to Praia de Vagueira, Figueria da Fox, Obidos...probably:whistle:..... though things may work out differenty:whistle:. Lisbon has been recommended for a visit so I've found a caampsite Villa Franca de Xira (we don't like the idea of leaving our Harvey alone in an Aire all day) not far from the railway station a little way up the river from Lisbon..well get the train in and have a wander round the old part of the town. Next, probably, but not necessarily??Evora Monte Camping Alentejo then head off down to the Algarve stopping at Budens Alema Eco-Camp (has anyone been there?). We were going to high tail it along the rest of the Algarve as I didn't much like the sound of places along the coast but having read some of the above I think we may review that:) Alvor sounds like it might be worth a visit...an Aire nearby maybe? We're heading into Spain then to spend Christmas there along the Atlantic coast.:D
Thanks Pia, that sounds fantastic but ours is just a short break to prepare us for Christmas in the UK which is just 86 days away..;) What a difference a flight makes, just two hours from Luton to Faro then a short drive to the hotel where we will arrive in time for the evening meal:) Thanks for the useful tips..(y)

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
@buttons enjoy your lovely holiday...86 days to Christmas....OMG...glad we're going to be away...first time ever we've gone away for Christmas..I usually do the cooking and have the families round...not sure if I'll miss that or not:D:unsure:

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Yes you should get good views from there, but it is a bit uphill after a night in the bars/restaurants of the old town. I presume you will have a car so woulds suggest Paderne, and its castle, there is a dirt track right up to the castle but it is also a pleasant walk if you prefer. Silves is a very pleasant town with a large Moorish castle. There is a cafe by the market which claims to sell the best barbecued chicken and they are right. Lagos is nice and is where Some of the great Portuguese explorers set sail from. Some very nice places to eat. There are good fish places in Quartiera, Albufeira market is OK but we much prefer Algoz or Messines but it will very much depend on when you are their. Loule has a splendid municipal market building. Eating out is very affordable and all tastes are catered for. One of the best Indians is in Armacao de Pera, Bollywood and we will be spending our winter in an appartment just above it.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Yes you should get good views from there, but it is a bit uphill after a night in the bars/restaurants of the old town. I presume you will have a car so woulds suggest Paderne, and its castle, there is a dirt track right up to the castle but it is also a pleasant walk if you prefer. Silves is a very pleasant town with a large Moorish castle. There is a cafe by the market which claims to sell the best barbecued chicken and they are right. Lagos is nice and is where Some of the great Portuguese explorers set sail from. Some very nice places to eat. There are good fish places in Quartiera, Albufeira market is OK but we much prefer Algoz or Messines but it will very much depend on when you are their. Loule has a splendid municipal market building. Eating out is very affordable and all tastes are catered for. One of the best Indians is in Armacao de Pera, Bollywood and we will be spending our winter in an appartment just above it.
Thanks maxi77 I have just taken a picture of your post for reference to read during our stay. Isn't technology wonderful, we don't even need a print copy to take, just our phones..(y)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am ore than a little concerned that my man in Portugal has not given his views on this subject. Has anyone heard from him recently or has he gone into winter hibernation early this year.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Am ore than a little concerned that my man in Portugal has not given his views on this subject. Has anyone heard from him recently or has he gone into winter hibernation early this year.
I did hear that he was a bit below par recently. Portuguese man flu as I understand it.
If I can find a mask I could pop up and see him. Now that should bring a response.
"Dont bother Buttons....I WILL BE OUT" :D

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Another question..motorway toll roads will I need an auto payment recorder or can I avoid motorways with tolls. How widespread at the toll roads.(y)

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
[QUOTE="Pia, post: 2521041, member: 46919]...then head off down to the Algarve stopping at Budens Alema Eco-Camp (has anyone been there?). [/QUOTE]
We were planning on stopping there last Saturday - great value at ACSI rate, 11 euros. But we really didn’t fancy the entrance - steep slope down with a sharp bend at foot of slope, and a nasty angle. We thought too high a risk of grounding in our van (7.52m, low ground clearance) so moved on to Turiscampo at Espiche. It looked a pleasant site, the village beach is great (even though it seemed more than the claimed 700m, and it’s on quite a busy road) but it may be more suitable for smaller vans?

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
[QUOTE="Pia, post: 2521041, member: 46919]...then head off down to the Algarve stopping at Budens Alema Eco-Camp (has anyone been there?).
We were planning on stopping there last Saturday - great value at ACSI rate, 11 euros. But we really didn’t fancy the entrance - steep slope down with a sharp bend at foot of slope, and a nasty angle. We thought too high a risk of grounding in our van (7.52m, low ground clearance) so moved on to Turiscampo at Espiche. It looked a pleasant site, the village beach is great (even though it seemed more than the claimed 700m, and it’s on quite a busy road) but it may be more suitable for smaller vans?[/QUOTE]

@Solwaybuggier....thank you so much for this information. We have a long low overhang so I will cross that off the list and go to the one you suggest....many thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back