What computer would you buy? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I am about to buy a new computer but not sure which one to buy. Any suggestions please. My old computer is about 14”/15” screen with windows 7.

I we normally use it for keeping bank details,emails and MHF. No downloading.

Colyboy

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
As mitzimad has suggested.

Go and have a chat with the nice people at John Lewis. We use a Samsung Galaxy Tablet with 3G/4G and a monthly contract. Perfect for emails and banking and when we are travelling the boss sits there with it on her lap using the Campercontact app and Google Maps to guide us to our destinations. Sorted!
I also have a laptop which hardly gets used now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
They're right.

If that's all you're ever going to do or want to do with it then a decent tablet is all you really need.

Personally I'd say an iPad but that's just my preference.

With all joking and banter aside the Apple v Samsung argument is brand snobbery both ways, nothing more. Both ranges do the same jobs equally well.

I would say stick to one of the major brands either way. Avoid the cheap unbranded or Chinese devices.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We now have a Lenovo Yoga. Broken Link Removed
It is touch screen, has a solid state hard drive and we love it. We take it in the van as a TV and use it at home.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Numpty question please, can a printer driver be installed on a tablet ?

You don't need to install a driver as such with most modern printers.

The short answer is that you can usually send direct to a printer from a tablet. Obviously this is easier if you have a WiFi enabled printer. The inbuilt service on Apple devices is called AirPrint and it works perfectly as long as you have an AirPrint enabled printer. I have no idea what the Android equivalent is but I'm sure there is one.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
B40B7CDF-6EA5-49B8-87F2-44F58BDA6837.jpeg
How about this Cray super computer, can be had for under 3 million.(y)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Sorry for the above post as it’s friday morning and waiting for the missus to get ready. Worked in IT all my life but honestly these days I do everything on an iPad so this would be at the top of my list.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Sorry for the above post as it’s friday morning and waiting for the missus to get ready. Worked in IT all my life but honestly these days I do everything on an iPad so this would be at the top of my list.

AirPrint is supported by most WiFi printers.

It's native to IOS devices so all you need to to is tap the share button and somewhere in there is a Print option. As long as you're connected to the same WiFi network as your printer the device will see it and send to it.

The only limitation is that some third party apps don't support printing at all.

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
I recently bought a completely silent desktop PC with no moving parts - so no fans or moving hard drives. Very pleased with it so far - and it made it happily through the very hot weather we had earlier in the year without problems. Do you need a new monitor, keyboard etc - because if your existing one is ok you could just get a new system unit like this one for example
Amazon product ASIN B00XKMJO98

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I am about to buy a new computer but not sure which one to buy. Any suggestions please. My old computer is about 14”/15” screen with windows 7.

I we normally use it for keeping bank details,emails and MHF. No downloading.

Colyboy
Have a look at the iPad Pro. Great bit of kit and you can attach a small fold away keyboard

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have a look at the iPad Pro. Great bit of kit and you can attach a small fold away keyboard
Got to say if price doesn't come into it it's got to be an iPad , we have laptops and android tablets and phones, but I have an iPad that I won in a raffle , would never have paid for one, but for reliability and battery life and everything really .it beats all the others hands down, and as to printers , if you have a compatible printer, no dearer than any other, you can print from the other side of the world with it.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Got to say if price doesn't come into it it's got to be an iPad , we have laptops and android tablets and phones, but I have an iPad that I won in a raffle , would never have paid for one, but for reliability and battery life and everything really .it beats all the others hands down, and as to printers , if you have a compatible printer, no dearer than any other, you can print from the other side of the world with it.

But is that not a long way to travel just to pick up a bit of paper :confused: :LOL:.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Another vote for the iPad. We use it for everything and have the cellular version so we can get the news when abroad. Laptop now only really used for watching dvds. Pricey but so easy to use.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are you looking for a laptop or desktop?

If you are used to a normal keyboard be wary about doing away with it, I am a very fast typist so find 'prodding' on a screen slow and irritating ... give me a proper keyboard anytime!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I rather fancy the Surface Laptop.
I have the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 for a year now and it is very versatile. I use it by itself as a Tablet, or a laptop with its detachable keyboard or as a desktop at home with its docking station, external monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse.

Brilliant bit of kit but I think it is OTT for the OP's needs.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You could get a laptop with a slightly smaller screen than you're currently used to then as/when the need arises plug the larger screen in, it would also mean that you could have dual screens which makes banking etc much easier if you need to refer to other stuff on your pc at the same time.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
For the useage you mention it can all be done on a midrange smart phone like a Moto G5 plus. Or if you wanted something a bit bigger you could go for a Lenovo tablet. Ipads are very good but also expensive. I don't think the amount of useage would really justify a Ipad.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have some arthritis in the fingers, result of work related RSI. So I favour a good keyboard for most work. I have and use , an I-Pad mini, but like my Moto-G phone, it can become hard to get decent accuracy, because of the tiny key size. Minxy has a Point in that if you get a lighter Laptop and connect to a Larger monitor at home you can (almost) have the best of both worlds.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You could get a laptop with a slightly smaller screen than you're currently used to then as/when the need arises plug the larger screen in, it would also mean that you could have dual screens which makes banking etc much easier if you need to refer to other stuff on your pc at the same time.
Agree that's what I do, I have 13" HP 2in1 a proper laptop and it can be folded in half and used as a table, I tend to only use it as a laptop but the touch screen is useful.
At home I plug it into a 24" monitor and a keyboard and mouse.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
New I-Pad Pro. Fabulous screen and ability.
Will outlast samsung by years (battery wise) see Which mag this month.
The Apple system is so intuitive.
We will never go back to Windows, with all that "please wait while we update" or Drivers etc.
You pays your money.....
Mitch.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
New I-Pad Pro. Fabulous screen and ability.
Will outlast samsung by years (battery wise) see Which mag this month.
The Apple system is so intuitive.
We will never go back to Windows, with all that "please wait while we update" or Drivers etc.
You pays your money.....
Mitch.
Mitch, not sure what month you are referring to with regards to Which. In the latest November issue they did phones and overall they rated 3 Samsung Android phones above the iphones. In October they scored the ipad Pro and Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 (which is Android not Windows) equally at 83%. Scored equally for battery use although the ipad scored better on screen quality. Interestingly though the highest scoring Tablet of all in their tests is the previous Samsung version, which is no longer available!

I think your view of Windows may be a bit outdated. Updates in the background now and no worry about drivers with Windows 10. Much more usable now with a touchscreen model, as I have. I agree that traditionally Apple products were much more user friendly than the others, but not anymore. In the old days with XP, and to a lesser extent Windows 7, I was forever delving into the settings, but not any more with either Windows 10 or Android.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Glad you like your windows Peter. I really DO mean that mate. (y) And I like my MacBookPro and Jenny loves her new iPad Pro.
The Apple V Samsung rating I referred to was on page 33.
Batteries lose their ability to keep a charge and this problem affected around 13% of laptops in their survey. NOT SO WITH APPLE... MACBOOKS ARE AROUND 4 TIMES LESS LIKELY TO SUFFER FROM WANING BATTERY PACKS.... I read that from the page....
But no, it didn't actually SAY and iPad Pro Peter ! ! ! But do you really think they would go backwards in that department ??
Anyway mate, it really is a case of each to their own I guess.
Enjoy.
Mitch.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Ideal world ch 22 freeview are doing ipad 3 FACTORY RECOND +wireless keyboard for £350ish.
On tonight at 10.00.
Worth a look....
Cheers, Dave(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back