What are you up to this weekend? (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Nursing wife came out of Hospital Saturday after having new full knee joint, seeing her in agony is awful , but she has a lot of willpower ,me I don't mind the cooking ,cleaning etc, as long as she does what I ask her ( Huh that would be a first !!! ;) operation a bit of a surprise thought she would have to wait a year at least, 6 months and she was in a Bupa Hospital Ipswich on the NHS, must say she said she was really well looked after, thanks to all the Staff there and the Surgeon.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Yes, I believe motorhome hire is very expensive and with the additional cost of motorcamps (camp sites) it is not an economical way of seeing the country.
Currently, the rental companies are offering motorhomes for about £20 per day and Kiwis are exploring their own backyard, enjoying the experience and consequently wanting to buy motorhomes or caravans - but they are in very short supply, as you can imagine.
Not priced MoHo in NZ. In Aussie 0ur last 36 day hire from Let'sGo was Eqiv £4,650. Twas a Jayco Conquest Royal. Personally i don't think that was expensive. Absolutely no issues whatsoever with it.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Nursing wife came out of Hospital Saturday after having new full knee joint, seeing her in agony is awful , but she has a lot of willpower ,me I don't mind the cooking ,cleaning etc, as long as she does what I ask her ( Huh that would be a first !!! ;) operation a bit of a surprise thought she would have to wait a year at least, 6 months and she was in a Bupa Hospital Ipswich on the NHS, must say she said she was really well looked after, thanks to all the Staff there and the Surgeon.
Best wishes to your wife

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Not much. Friday Xmas Day flying out to Dubai until March 2nd to see the grandson, his mum and dad that we have not seen sin Oct last year. He was less than one month old when they went back.
It will be like going home to us. Spent more than half our lives there.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
In just over 2 weeks we have moved through Tier 1 then Tier 2 and now from Boxing Day we will be in Tier 4, I like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped spread this Virus across Suffolk , we have been stuck inside except for walks away from people areas, Merry Christmas to all :xThumb:

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Heading up to Leeds on Christmas day 400 mile round trip. On the road at 06:00 & expect to be home again for 14:30.
Droppng presents & seeing my parents through a window of their house. Also want to see my daughter socially distanced in their garden. After that we are in Tier4 so have a motorbike to strip clean & service. Then I guess its catch up with some TV and read a few books

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The MH hire was sooooooo expensive and believe me I’m not tight with money .
our friends hired 2 last christmas for themselves & the middle daughter & family. Cost around 16,000 dollars for the month I believe.

& saturday I'm going to the market(y)

rommroma557

Free Member
Jan 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
просто дивлячись
Back down to The White Horse in Tattingstone for a leaving party at the pub::bigsmile::happy:

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Weird but true and still on the statute books.

Only in York, the law states that it is legal to shoot a Scotsman with a crossbow upon seeing one, except for on Sundays.

However, any Scotsman caught drunk or with a weapon can still be shot on a Sunday, except with a bow and arrow.

Similarly, in Chester it is legal to shoot a Welsh person with a crossbow, as long as it is within the city walls and is done after midnight.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years

Only in York, the law states that it is legal to shoot a Scotsman with a crossbow upon seeing one, except for on Sundays.

However, any Scotsman caught drunk or with a weapon can still be shot on a Sunday, except with a bow and arrow.

Similarly, in Chester it is legal to shoot a Welsh person with a crossbow, as long as it is within the city walls and is done after midnight.
Well just watched Crawley Town beat Leeds 3-0 Leeds players looked s bit frustrated, by the way they started fouling , South 👍 North 👎🙂🙃

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.

Rightly so :eek:

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
Hmm, Brain, yes Pinky, what are we going to do today? Same as we do everyday Pinky, take over the world...or we can just stay at home, protect the NHS and save lives. Good plan Brains. You have to be of an age to remember Pinky and the Brain 😷😷😷

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Not much in fact nothing am watching What we did on our Holiday not a big fan of Billy Connolly however he is really good in this filim.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Yes, I believe motorhome hire is very expensive and with the additional cost of motorcamps (camp sites) it is not an economical way of seeing the country.
Currently, the rental companies are offering motorhomes for about £20 per day and Kiwis are exploring their own backyard, enjoying the experience and consequently wanting to buy motorhomes or caravans - but they are in very short supply, as you can imagine.
We hired a motorhome from MAUI and really enjoyed the month we were travelling around NZ, would I do it again not for a full holiday as I felt we didn’t get to meet real New Zealander’s just ex pats from Uk. Next time I would do half and half MoHo and B&Bs, farm house and vineyard stays. You live in the most beautiful country on the planet a fantastic mix of UK, Norway and USA, I say USA as you have a brilliant collection of flying Warbirds both on North and South Island.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
We hired a motorhome from MAUI and really enjoyed the month we were travelling around NZ, would I do it again not for a full holiday as I felt we didn’t get to meet real New Zealander’s just ex pats from Uk. Next time I would do half and half MoHo and B&Bs, farm house and vineyard stays. You live in the most beautiful country on the planet a fantastic mix of UK, Norway and USA, I say USA as you have a brilliant collection of flying Warbirds both on North and South Island.
It's interesting for us to read your observations. We have heard some bad reports of Maui and some of the cheaper motorhome rental companies. (Maui is not cheap)
There are a lot of ex-pats here. My own town of Nelson has about 10%, I believe.
We sometimes think NZ is following in American footprints (sadly), especially when it comes to the out of town shopping malls and retail parks, but Australia is worse.
Yes, we have some fantastic old warbirds. KiwiBrit lives very near the Omaka Air Museum at Blenheim which houses some of the best, plus Sir Peter Jackson's collection. The South Island hosts two of the internationally-acclaimed Warbird Air Shows - at Omaka and Wanaka - alternate years. The NZ Motorcaravan Association provides off-grid camping in prime positions at both.
I do hope you'll visit us again sometime in the future. You might like to consider doing non-simultaneous house exchanges. You're guaranteed to meet real Kiwis that way and at the same time you'll be living like a Kiwi without the expense of paying for your accommodation and car rental. I can recommend it.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
It's interesting for us to read your observations. We have heard some bad reports of Maui and some of the cheaper motorhome rental companies. (Maui is not cheap)
There are a lot of ex-pats here. My own town of Nelson has about 10%, I believe.
We sometimes think NZ is following in American footprints (sadly), especially when it comes to the out of town shopping malls and retail parks, but Australia is worse.
Yes, we have some fantastic old warbirds. KiwiBrit lives very near the Omaka Air Museum at Blenheim which houses some of the best, plus Sir Peter Jackson's collection. The South Island hosts two of the internationally-acclaimed Warbird Air Shows - at Omaka and Wanaka - alternate years. The NZ Motorcaravan Association provides off-grid camping in prime positions at both.
I do hope you'll visit us again sometime in the future. You might like to consider doing non-simultaneous house exchanges. You're guaranteed to meet real Kiwis that way and at the same time you'll be living like a Kiwi without the expense of paying for your accommodation and car rental. I can recommend it.
That’s a great idea about the house exchange, thanks. I flew a Harvard from Wanaka and did some aerobatics over the lake, that was an experience I will never forget. The museum is great in Wanaka as is the Air Force museum at Christchurch. I also flew gliders at Omarama the scenery is stunning. We will try and get back before we get too old to enjoy. We were heart broken to see the Christchurch cathedral damaged by the earthquake we went to Christmas services at both and loved every minute of them even though we are not god botherers.

Maui, what can I say, we booked a 6 berth as my father and his girlfriend were to travel with us but couldn’t make it and it was a good job, the internal design was rubbish no storage space, quite poor fittings inside. It broke down twice the 2nd time when we tried to go to Milford sound and even though we had booked and paid for the trip and MAUI had our full itinerary which included picking the van up in Auckland and leaving it in Christchurch, on getting to Christchurch the stroppy Manager tried to insist that we drive the van all the back to Auckland even though I had all the correspondence showing the plan. I ended up just throwing the keys on his desk and told him to chase me 🤪 we got on the plane to Singapore 2.5 hours later so he would have had a long run.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
That is shocking service from Maui. Another dissatisfied customer to add to my list.
Did you know that the late Steve Fossett was a regular flyer out of Omarama? Great thermals, I'm told.
You may be interested to know that they still haven't done anything about re-building Christchurch Cathedral. Things move exceedingly slowly in NZ - apart from earthquakes and they're very short and sharp!
I could chat for longer, but I am mid-way through loading the motorhome to go away for a few days in the Marlborough Sounds.
Photos to follow on another thread.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
That is shocking service from Maui. Another dissatisfied customer to add to my list.
Did you know that the late Steve Fossett was a regular flyer out of Omarama? Great thermals, I'm told.
You may be interested to know that they still haven't done anything about re-building Christchurch Cathedral. Things move exceedingly slowly in NZ - apart from earthquakes and they're very short and sharp!
I could chat for longer, but I am mid-way through loading the motorhome to go away for a few days in the Marlborough Sounds.
Photos to follow on another thread.
We have hired twice from Let's-Go. A Jayco Royal and a Jayco Conquest on Fiat chassis.. Agree internal design not great. We had absolutely no issues on both trips. My brother did 2 trips also with not issues from the same company. What vehicle was you Maui on? Agree not cheap. (Australia)
Also agree NZ a beautiful country. Unfortunately we only stopped for one full day in 4 different places. Did the usual cultural tours etc. We also did The Milford and other sounds, stunning.
We did Christchurch cathedral before the earthquake. Once again stunning.
Would i go back to NZ, in a heartbeat. But not on a cruise, one does not see or have the time to take such a wonderful country in. It would surely be a RV, like Otter maybe half and half.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Would also agree The main towns/city's in Australia are following the Yankie route. Don't like that bit.
Not so in the outback or once a few miles out of a major city.
As long as they keep the steering wheel on the right side they will do me.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Doing a long overdue job. The clips on the plastic pilar cover had snapped causing horrendous vibration. Stripped out and replaced. Hopefully that's cured.

20200527_112036.jpg

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Doing a long overdue job. The clips on the plastic pilar cover had snapped causing horrendous vibration. Stripped out and replaced. Hopefully that's cured.

View attachment 459715
wiljoy Nice one. As a matter of interest from where did you get the reflective strips for the mirror housing? I would like to do mine.

Last edited:

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Digging through 12" of fibreglass insulation to install pipes for an extra radiator in the lounge because June is cold and I'm hogging the chair by the radiator.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
wiljoy Nice one. As a matter of interest from where did you get the reflective strips for the mirror housing? I would like to do mine.
I still carry out work for the emergency services so the off cuts come in handy. I also have my graphics machines so design is easy. I inlaid the fluorescent sections separate.

20210124_141018.jpg

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I still carry out work for the emergency services so the off cuts come in handy. I also have my graphics machines so design is easy. I inlaid the fluorescent sections separate.

View attachment 459761
wiljoy Very clever and good looking, although I think I prefer the solid version if it is all reflective. Sadly I don't have a graphics machine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back