We'll keep a welcome in the hillside - maybe not (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Jim ... any comments?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Usual newspaper selling piffle.

Though I have to say, we usually end up on campsites in Wales, there aren’t many acceptable wilding spots and if you find one, the locals either hassle you till you move as in the spot above Llanberis, or it appears to be the local dogging spot as happened in Llangollen.

The camp sites are usually a much better option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
We have just returned from North Wales (Snowdonia). We had booked Bodnant with a deposit in 2020 which got moved to this year because of the Pandemic. We also had friends booked to stay at Bodnant in one of their two Statics and that got moved to this year as well. Other friends were staying just up the road and again moved to this year. I had heard nothing from Bodnant to check we were still coming so rang three days before our departure to check everything was ok with our booking, this was post 17 May regulations and chance question "are your toilets/showers open" was returned with a very curt reply "I clean the toilets, I don't want to get Covid, no they are not!". We were now left with the problem of having to do our No. 2s in the van which is something my wife an I like the idea of. Bodnant is a "Premiere Park" and not cheap for a fully serviced pitch and I was not expecting the answer or indignant attitude I got and cancelled immediately. No apologies were offered for the lack of contact or change in terms and conditions. I managed to find an alternative, much smaller site 9 miles away called Tyn Rhos with electric and hard standing. The owner was puzzled as to Bodnant's attitude in respect of opening up their facilities as they had opened theirs on May 17 in line with the regulations.
Not a good start as we now had to travel 9 miles to meet up with our friends. You would think a tourist area like Snowdonia would be itching to get their hands on tourist money but that was not our finding.

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
We were now left with the problem of having to do our No. 2s in the van which is something my wife an I like the idea of.
I think you meant “don’t like the idea of”! We were the same but needs must in the last year, so bought Happy Bowl inserts for the toilet, which drop into the cassette when you open the slide. Magic! Never afraid to use it since if necessary.

Perfect for aires or wilding.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim ... any comments?

No Ive had it with Wales. Ive spent the last coupleof weeks talking to councils in Scotland Wales and England about setting up CLs. Scottish and English councils have been great. Wales planners can be summed up with the letter P from Planning. Petty, Perfunctory, Pompous, Pathetic, Prats,

Seems they don't want Fun CLs in Wales.

Last edited:

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We spent an idyllic week in Snowdonia and Anglesey in the first part of June. We saw no hint of overcrowding, poor behaviour or littering by MHs wherever we stayed. One night was spent on a lovely site, the rest wilding. We were made welcome or left in peace wherever we stayed, but then we choose to stay in places which are remote and peaceful, stay only one night and leave no trace that we were there.

I wish there had been more facilities available for emptying black waste, but we were able to manage responsibly, as always, through having a spare cassette.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
P.S. we also find that it helps, immensely, when visiting a place which has its own language spoken by the majority of locals, if we learn a few useful polite phrases, such as “good morning”, “thank you” and “good evening”. It was certainly the case when we stayed on the seafront alongside a road and most passers-by exchanged cheery “Bore da”s with us.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
No Ive had it with Wales. Ive spent the last coupleof weeks talking to councils in Scotland Wales and England about setting up CLs. Scottish and English councils have been great. Wales planners can be summed up with the letter P from Planning. Petty, Perfunctory, Pompous, Pathetic, Prats,

Do you need planning approval for a CL Jim ? I thought it was an exemption that could be granted by authorised bodies such as MHF, NT, etc.

Dec 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
ih PVC
Exp
We just spent a few nights at Pant-yr-onnen on the shores of lake Bala, l have to say that the staff were exceptionally friendly, chatty and helpful. The site was clean and very tidy and all the facilities were in operation.

Anyone looking for a water sport break would do well to try this campsite as access to the lake is a few meters from most of the pitches.

Launching a boat from the foreshore couldn't be simpler as l just backed the PVC down to the waterline, unhitched the trailer and walked the boat into the shallows.
E9692B87-592C-4C91-88A7-AAFC4F0190A1.jpeg

B94D01F5-0668-4360-A03F-BD6A45A2ED47.jpeg

B3CDB326-5CA5-4AE1-8FBE-FF25F4CF63E8.jpeg

Sailing boats, kayaks and paddle boards are for hire so you dont really need to take your own if you want to travel light.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013

Was that North and South Wales Jim?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Thats poor. They are too short sighted that’s their problem.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Using the onboard lavatory and having to drive 9 miles. My god, where will it all end?
Not life changing I agree but extremely inconvenient. She actually opened the toilets the day my friends left the site. Overall the people in Wales were very friendly although you would think they would be itching to get their hands on tourist money, instead we found empty "bookings only" restaurants, coffee shops open one day then closed for the next three and attractions shown on their websites as open but actually closed. Parking charges are very reasonable except if you happen to want to climb Snowdon from The Miner's Trail and try and park at Pen y Pass car park which now has to be booked and costs £18. The Snowdon Railway was running but only going three quarters of the way to the summit yet still costing the full £32 per adult. Eating out was both expensive, difficult to find and spectacularly average. North Wales is certainly not the culinary capital of the UK. Snowdonia is absolutely stunning but the area needs to get it's post full lockdown act together or just tell everyone to keep away!

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Spending nine nights across three sites in Snowdonia ( yep, not moving too far ;) ) as of next weekend. I hope it's going to be better than some have described here :unsure: :worried:
It’s amazing!

Just different. :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Spending nine nights across three sites in Snowdonia ( yep, not moving too far ;) ) as of next weekend. I hope it's going to be better than some have described here :unsure: :worried:
We had a fabulous week very early May. We knew facilities still closed but I can report that we had an exceptional welcome from all three campsites
Trwyn yr Wylfa at Pennaenmawr (for Bodnant Gardens)
Tyddyn Llwy Campsite, Porthmadog for Black Rock Sands and Portmerion
Coed y Llwyn CAMC

Nov 22, 2018
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
S and L Apollo
Exp
Since 2018
I'm presently in llanberis, not camping but b and b'ing as I'm with a mate and didn't fancy sharing the van with him (Full stop!).
Climbed Snowdon yesterday for the first time. Brilliant!
Many locals speak Welsh and all have been extremely welcoming to a couple of aging non Welsh speaking Englishmen. We've made full use of the local pubs and shops and a more friendly welcome I couldn't have imagined. It's a fabulous place to visit and has lots to do particularly if you love the great outdoors, walking, messing about on water, history....and a good drink!
We'll be back soon!

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I'm presently in llanberis, not camping but b and b'ing as I'm with a mate and didn't fancy sharing the van with him (Full stop!).
Climbed Snowdon yesterday for the first time. Brilliant!
Many locals speak Welsh and all have been extremely welcoming to a couple of aging non Welsh speaking Englishmen. We've made full use of the local pubs and shops and a more friendly welcome I couldn't have imagined. It's a fabulous place to visit and has lots to do particularly if you love the great outdoors, walking, messing about on water, history....and a good drink!
We'll be back soon!
One of the best places to go.

Great but expensive site right near the town. You’re right, the locals there are always very welcoming. 👍

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Ooerr I’m presently at ST David’s (caerfaibai) and working my way up there, Llandovery, Aberystwyth, Porthmadog, Llanberis on my way to Shrewsbury for the messing about on the water rally🤔

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back