weighbridge - it seemed like a good idea (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I would like to uprate mine, haven't been to a weigh bridge yet bit planning to at the weekend. Surely if a paper exercise it can be done with svtech any one done it?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We only took delivery of our new motor home a month ago, but something we found really useful when planning the spec' was that the Hymer accessory brochure gives the weight of the various options. So we knew exactly what effect adding things like awning, tow bar, spare wheel, etc would have.
Stef.

and have you actually weighed it yet? That might be interesting :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Also If going in to London emission zone if you do not have the right euro 3 , 4 or 5 engine etc for that weight

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
most of the uprating of weights I see on here are to get from 3.5 to about 3.8 tons, are there any issues going from 5 tons to higher and how much is sensible / practical ?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Is C1 just the normal driving licence?
Not any more, if you passed your test before 1995 (I think) then you will have it, if not probably not.
Take out your licence, flip it over, classes of entitlement are on the back.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not any more, if you passed your test before 1995 (I think) then you will have it, if not probably not.
Take out your licence, flip it over, classes of entitlement are on the back.

I will need to take a look at it. I passed my test in the 1980's though so should be ok.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
and have you actually weighed it yet? That might be interesting :)

No David.
I think I'm guilty of the same mistake as you. I think that with a payload of one ton I can just keep adding things and that if (no, when) I take it to the weigh bridge I will probably get a nasty surprise.
Can anybody tell me, is it really necessary to have the vehicle weighed with water in the tank. I always run with a completely empty fresh water tank. The way I see it, 170 litres of water is a fair weight to carry unnecessarily.
Stef.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I would like to uprate mine, haven't been to a weigh bridge yet bit planning to at the weekend. Surely if a paper exercise it can be done with svtech any one done it?

If you read back to my earlier post i have just received and paid the invoice today to Sv Tech for my upgrade.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
And if you are over 70 you have to pass a medical to keep your C1 entitlement.

There are also issues for some medical conditions no matter what your age and when you passed your test.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

I've did mine through SV Tech as well. Easy exercise.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
No David.
I think I'm guilty of the same mistake as you. I think that with a payload of one ton I can just keep adding things and that if (no, when) I take it to the weigh bridge I will probably get a nasty surprise.
Can anybody tell me, is it really necessary to have the vehicle weighed with water in the tank. I always run with a completely empty fresh water tank. The way I see it, 170 litres of water is a fair weight to carry unnecessarily.
Stef.

I would take it with everything you would normally carry, if you dont travel with water in the tank then leave it empty.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I would take it with everything you would normally carry, if you dont travel with water in the tank then leave it empty.

We took ours to be weighed as we would when setting off for a trip, so some water, no grey / black waste, full of fuel, bikes, kayak, food for a couple of days plus clothes and us. Generally we would not have both bikes and kayaks so that would have given us a few kg if necessary. We don't have a dog :)

When we take our friend with us we will have neither bikes nor kayaks so that should go some way to compensating for his weight.....

We have also lost quite a bit of weight ourselves since the trip to the weighbridge :)

We were well under so even better.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
If you read back to my earlier post i have just received and paid the invoice today to Sv Tech for my upgrade.
Sorry missed the word 'without', meant doing it yourself and not through svtech.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Sorry missed the word 'without', meant doing it yourself and not through svtech.

If you know exactly what you need to provide the DVLA with I suppose you could. It is a paper exercise but there's quite a bit more to it than just giving them the axle weights (y) I didn't keep copies of the paperwork SV tech sent me but it was quite detailed and knowing the DVLA if there was the slightest thing wrong it would all have been rejected. I may be wrong but I seem to remember one part of it was something stating something like how the person or organisation providing the info was competent to do so.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I thought of doing it myself but as Nick Nic said slightest mistake and you get it back, Sv Tech have done it within a week.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
The very reason Im always banging on about going to a weighbridge takes all the guess work out. There is no other way to find out how much you weigh loaded or how much payload you have. It amazes me the number of times I see threads asking "how much will my van carry" :confused:
Likewise people's reluctance to actually go to a weighbridge.

SV Tech good company takes all the aggro of dealing with DVLA away. We upgraded from 4500kg to 5000kg as we were always too close for comfort. DVLA said it wasn't a motorhome need proof of build and photos one phone call to SVTech all sorted paperwork back in a few days.(y);)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you ring them they will tell you straight away how high you can go as a paper exercise and by changing stuff like suspension and tyres. Really helpful company.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Total 5140kg limit 5000kg
Not even 3%, Not even into "fine " territory !:)

Also If going in to London emission zone if you do not have the right euro 3 , 4 or 5 engine etc for that weight
Even though mine is 25 years old I am registered to enter as weight is below 2,500kgs & diesel. What the diesel has to do with it I've no idea.Paper came back saying that it is 'Euro 5 ' It is all complete nonsense. If you are going to have an emissions zone why let in something that is under an arbitrary weight ?
My vehicle which is now compliant :)LOL:) has the same engine as many that weigh over 2,500kgs & yet they will never be compliant ? Utter nonsense.:mad:

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
MMM! As I said before weigh each axle and don't forget the extras added later.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
But it was general rather than specific as in weighbridge info and sailing close to the wind as others have said. ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back