weighbridge - it seemed like a good idea (1 Viewer)

Feb 28, 2015
Rothwell Northants
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Since 2014
and mostly it will virtually double the toll, stick to non tolls, no difference then :)(y)
Our MH is 3.05 metres high. We were charged €14.40 at two peages on the A63 south of Bordeaux, classe 3. The classe 2 rate was only €5.20. We didn't know at the time you could query the amount. What made it worse was that according to my atlas ( admittedly 2013) most of this road was toll free. We don't normally use toll roads but there does not seem to be a N or D route running from Bordeaux to Bayonne.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If it comes up with class 3 press the button and say "Nous sommes une CampingCar . Je pense que nous devrions être de classe 2" It might not work every time but it will more often than not.
Until they reply in French and you don't know a word they are saying.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Our MH is 3.05 metres high. We were charged €14.40 at two peages on the A63 south of Bordeaux, classe 3. The classe 2 rate was only €5.20. We didn't know at the time you could query the amount. What made it worse was that according to my atlas ( admittedly 2013) most of this road was toll free. We don't normally use toll roads but there does not seem to be a N or D route running from Bordeaux to Bayonne.

I think a lot of us got caught on the same road last year, we got lucky and had heard about the buzzer option and al of ours got reduced, but came back over the mountains to remove doubt (y)

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
as long as your axle weights are under the plated weights vosa can't touch you. they wont prosecute on gross weight overloading. If your axles are over + gross weight then they will prosecute.
we used to get weigh checked regularly with the trucks, plated at 38tonnes and were pushing 39500kgs.
even now 44tonnes . sometimes were at closer to 45 tonne

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You should be Class 2 if you're less than 3m high and Class 3 over 3m no matter what weight you are but they will usually let you get away with Class 2 in a MH whatever. A lot of the time it may only be a few cents so it's more about the principle than saving loads of money.

Over 3.5T is class 3, on the toll around Bordeaux class 2 was €5.60 and class 3 was €14.40.

Pressing the button and pleading "class 2 camping car" only brought out the attendant with a tape measure and the conclusion was Tres giant, pay up.

Oops didn't see the other post on this, yeas it was two tolls and we thought it was free as well.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Also If going in to London emission zone if you do not have the right euro 3 , 4 or 5 engine etc for that weight
That IS IMPORTANT Mine is 3860 and euro 3 Ford Transit and that invited an invitation to pay £1000 fine/penalty unless I paid the £200 prebooking fee. As I was treated as having a Lorry which needed Euro IV since 2012. If it was below 3500kg then it would be alright. The alternative route is to go around the M25 the entire way the other way around 121 miles if the tunnel is closed as it was then, no going down to the Blackwall tunnel.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Really, I`ll need to look into this, does it depend on what it is recorded as on the V5 ?
You do indeed, PHGV is £165, just paid mine, and I am 4005 plated weight. Sounds like DVLA have not updated their records for you! Not surprised, took me nearly a year to get my car re-registered as bi-fuel when I converted her to gas!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I don`t think anything has changed and it was plated at 3850 from new / import (it`s a hymer) but I will try and ring DVLA to query it

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I'm seeking some advice here.

Say I take my MH to the weighbridge of my own accord and it is found to be over-weight, what action, if any, will be taken? Would it be treated as an advisory? Or maybe a requirement to return on a future date to ensure that the vehicles weight had been reduced?

I emphasise that I am talking about a voluntery visit and not one resulting from a roadside spot check.

Stef.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I'm seeking some advice here.

Say I take my MH to the weighbridge of my own accord and it is found to be over-weight, what action, if any, will be taken? Would it be treated as an advisory? Or maybe a requirement to return on a future date to ensure that the vehicles weight had been reduced?

I emphasise that I am talking about a voluntery visit and not one resulting from a roadside spot check.

Stef.
Nothing will happen. A public weighbridge will be a business of some sort who will charge you to use the bridge. The one I used was the local scrap merchants and cost me £5. They will advise you of your weight, give you the ticket, it is then down to you to sort out if you are over weight.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Unless it is a manned VOSA one, nothing. I use an unmanned roadside VOSA one that is available 24/7.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Nothing will happen I used to own several weighbridges all were registered as public weighbridges. You'll just be given a ticket showing your weights. How would they know even if you were over weight unless you told them. Most public weighbridges are in small local business premises and its just a bit of extra income.
Dont over think it or worry too much. Better to do it before you leave on a trip where at least you can sort it out than wait until something goes wrong. (y)(y)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@StefAndDi to find a convenient location, put this search into google:
public weighbridge [insert closest location here]

I used you location from your profile, and most seem to be scrap merchants, quarries or steel works. The council also maintains a list of places you can go.
For the sake of a few quid, it is well worth it for the peace of mind. I know I panicked every time I saw a VOSA patrol until I was weighed.

Deleted User
Yes I was wondering that too, thanks.
Think will weigh ours empty of our kit with the water and petrol full first, and just the driver, get the paper for future ref if want to sell.
Then put all our stuff including the dogs and us and do it again to be sure we are ok.

Lin

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
most of the uprating of weights I see on here are to get from 3.5 to about 3.8 tons, are there any issues going from 5 tons to higher and how much is sensible / practical ?
I had mine up rated to 4oookg from 3500kg could have gone for 3850 but what is the point. 4000kg is the max that it can go to. With full diesel, full water, full gas but no driver/passengers it was 3535kg. so now ok but have to keep an eye on the rear axle as the overhange is large.
Steve

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
I had mine up rated to 4oookg from 3500kg could have gone for 3850 but what is the point. 4000kg is the max that it can go to. With full diesel, full water, full gas but no driver/passengers it was 3535kg. so now ok but have to keep an eye on the rear axle as the overhange is large.
Steve
And you had the nerve to call me fat :rolleyes:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just waiting for a call back from SV Tech, aren't they a really nice firm to deal with, so far all free advice and so professional

I might have got a break in my luck, normally I am always just too late or just too early, but it is possible my chassis just falls in for an upgrade option maybe as high as 5.5ton, but anything would help

now realise why we don't get above 20mpg very often (y):)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
my luck has held, just had the call back, paper exercise by SV Tech, my contact was Steve (very impressed) £260 + VAT, could all be done while we are in France, so hopefully will come back legally at 5.5ton gross

they don't even need original V5 so we can take that with us

(y)(y):):)

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
my luck has held, just had the call back, paper exercise by SV Tech, my contact was Steve (very impressed) £260 + VAT, could all be done while we are in France, so hopefully will come back legally at 5.5ton gross

That's a good diet

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Bet you still come back overloaded :wine:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I changed my tyres so I could take full advantage of rear axle loading ready to upgrade. I jumped the gun a bit, just spoken to SV Tech, on the Al-ko chassis can't upgrade the rear axle without either air assist or changing the torsion bars. Upgrading to 3850 I will only gain about 120-150kg should be enough. I will have to weigh it with a nearly empty fuel tank to make sure that it doesn't go over the axle limit if the front is lighter. If it doesn't work out I'll have to spend £800 on air.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012

I dealt with Steve, see my post headed Sv Tech, all done in a week, very impressed.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I changed my tyres so I could take full advantage of rear axle loading ready to upgrade. I jumped the gun a bit, just spoken to SV Tech, on the Al-ko chassis can't upgrade the rear axle without either air assist or changing the torsion bars. Upgrading to 3850 I will only gain about 120-150kg should be enough. I will have to weigh it with a nearly empty fuel tank to make sure that it doesn't go over the axle limit if the front is lighter. If it doesn't work out I'll have to spend £800 on air.

I am no use on the technical reasons, but you may have seen my thread on Mercedes Air Suspension, we have just removed the air bag with manual control from ours and fitted full VS air suspension. If you are only fitting the £800 for compliance I would stick with that, I can't speak for what ours would have been like without the simple system, but it was next to useless with it (y) but we are quite a bit heavier (come on Dawn your turn again) :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back