Jan 9, 2017
Stonehaven
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2014
hi,
I have a month old chausson 610 flash with wabasto diesel heater.(Had Gas heating in previous camper....)
It seems to be very difficult to regulate a steady temp.
Once it heats up and reaches the temperature you have set it at, it shuts off and Stays off until the van has cooled down significantly, before (noisily) starting to blow hot air again.
Maybe it's just how it works, but being a new van, it's a bit of a disappointment!

Any help, advice or experience greatly appreciated.

Paul

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
:welcome4: and sorry your not happy with your new vans heating.

Edit my post read back sounded glib was not meant that way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Welcome to the forum.
You will need to subscribe to 'access all areas' but you will get your moneys worth in the knowledge, help and support available here.

Any idea what model Webasto you have fitted, is it a 3.5kw air top or thermo top?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Wonder why they have started fitting diesel heaters instead of gas. The gas systems use less power and are cleaner. The manual says something about an eco mode perhaps it's just down to having a good play with it and finding out how it really works. By the look of it it's a new product so looks like you are a bit of a guinea pig ..

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I take it the reason they fit this heater is because of cost. A Truma gas heater ( Blown Air ) is triple the price of the Wabasto. Diesel heaters use a lot of battery power when they start up ( 20amps ) is typical. This is to light the glowplug in the heater before it fires up the diesel so they cannot just keep switching on and off like a Truma would. So they heat up and then cool down over a longer period. I fitted a Mikuni to our last boat and that would drop down to an idle setting. You could hear the little inline pump they use clicking less often. Perhaps you should consult the manufacturers and ask if anything can be done.

Trauma heaters must be eye watering expensive,,just had a new Webasto fitted just under £900,,that makes a Trauma £2700 thats some price,,BUSBY:D:D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When we had a Chausson Flash 04 we had a diesel heater too and had exactly the same problem as you which turned out to be the sensor that was faulty and had to be replaced under warranty.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
my son has an ebersdpacher and that modulates keeping temperature correct i would assssume the webasto should do the same i did have a look at the workshop manual
1.1.1 Use of the air heaters
The Webasto Air Top 3500 ST and Air Top 5000 ST air heaters are designed – to heat cabins, boats, trucks, minibuses, vans, ambulances and motorhomes. – to defrost vehicle windows. – to heat cargo.
They are not designed for heating cargo areas used to carry hazardous substances. The heaters operate independently of the engine and are connected to the fuel tank and the electrical system of the vehicle. They not designed for installation in vehicles with water or air-cooled engines
the last line of this section makes no sense and i could not find anything regarding modulation which may depend on the type of thermostat or controller used

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
I would guess the OP has a 5500 Airtop Evo which will happily keep a fairly constant temperature. It does make a difference which controller is fitted and if it is being used in the 5.5kw setting.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
My year old van has an eberspacher fitted,which I am guessing is a similar system,running on the diesel.
It is noisy,like a jet taking offf on start up.
However when it reaches temperature it is reasonably quiet,if anything noisier outside,I agree it is a bit difficult to regulate and have never used it overnight as don't like a hot bed!!
Maybe just needs a small adjustment?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Camping in minus 14 a few days ago , I used 36 litres of gas in 3 days to keep the van a reasonable temperature.
Luckily, lpg garage a quarter of a mile away. Was thinking about getting diesel heating.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi,
I have a month old chausson 610 flash with wabasto diesel heater.(Had Gas heating in previous camper....)
It seems to be very difficult to regulate a steady temp.
Once it heats up and reaches the temperature you have set it at, it shuts off and Stays off until the van has cooled down significantly, before (noisily) starting to blow hot air again.
Maybe it's just how it works, but being a new van, it's a bit of a disappointment!

Any help, advice or experience greatly appreciated.

Paul
I would say something is not right..
If it's the basic control fitted like mine then start the heater off on full setting then once fired up and running turn it back down to half or slightly less..
The heater should then start to modulate or cycle as the van warms up.
Check the inlet and outlets are all clear,failing that I'd suspect the thermostat which is likely by the control panel.
Andy

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
:welco:

Trauma heaters must be eye watering expensive,,just had a new Webasto fitted just under £900,,that makes a Trauma £2700 thats some price,,BUSBY:D:D

As are Eberspachers. When my mate had a problem & we were checking £2,700 was replacement cost for dual water/heating model.:crying1:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
:welco:

As are Eberspachers. When my mate had a problem & we were checking £2,700 was replacement cost for dual water/heating model.:crying1:
Oh you mean a van heater and water heater,,i thing Trauma only make them separately so what would the price for the two ? Should not think much difference,,BUSBY:):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back