We made it easy to Ignore what you don't like (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm always a little puzzled when someone has a moan about some content in the forum; because I always think. "If you don't like it, why click on it." However I do appreciate that sometimes this is easier said than done. Threads pop up in recent posts and we click on them and then immediately regret it or get involved in something we'd rather not.

Some people hate political threads, others love them. Some like a good rant others don't. So in an effort to please most everyone; we've worked on a solution making it quick and easy to ignore whole forums or just one annoying thread. Rather than explain in text fully I knocked up a quick video during tonight's EU referendum debate ;) Thanks

Last edited:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Cannot play video whilst at Bagwell Jim internet is so crap here will check it out when we get home next week . 70 odd Funsters here may have the same prob :( THANKYOU X Ps hope Sian and Katie are feeling better x love from us three x

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
Fantastic and really useful piece of coding. Thanks.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I'm always a little puzzled when someone has a moan about some content in the forum,

Isn't it an Englishman's right - no............ duty - to moan........?:whistle:

...............anyway most threads go 'off piste' so you might miss something to moan about

;)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Are you mad? Miss anything? No thanks. Good vid though, I'm going to ignore this thread. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks Jim, I even understood every bit of your tutorial (y)

Now, can we get people to use the right section to post in, so many really random threads go in Motorhome Chat, it might be to do with the device they are being posted from maybe

Also could be a good idea to create a Moon section for me to post in so it can be ignored :)

?

Deleted User
No sound just now but is that ignoring whole forum sections I.E U shaped lounge rather than a thread within? Anyway that would be handy non the less as i think that main page is to large so now i can ignore sections i would not use. Pet hate is scrolling a large home page when sub forums could be used more.

?

Deleted User
Thanks Jim, I even understood every bit of your tutorial (y)

Now, can we get people to use the right section to post in, so many really random threads go in Motorhome Chat, it might be to do with the device they are being posted from maybe

Also could be a good idea to create a Moon section for me to post in so it can be ignored :)

Could that be people being banned from forum sections just using that area for idle chit chat? If people use ignore rather than moan, bitch, report than that problem may get reduced.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

IMO The worst, and least friendly forums on the web are those that insist threads stay on topic and that posts MUST be posted in the correct forum. For many of our members, motorhome fun is/was their first foray into any form of social media. If newbies are worried about posting correctly or in the right place, many wont post at all.

I feel sorry for newbies who start a post with "sorry of this is in the wrong place" obviously they have seen the zealots on other forums who delight in putting people right. That won't happen here.

Who really cares if a post is in the wrong forum, I don't. If I see it I'll move it, if someone silently reports it I'll move it, but really, I don't think it's that important.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Very useful Jim..

but when that doesn't work..

this always does.. :)

Turn-off-your-Computer.jpg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Jim I get your point and fully understand, my post was only really only in conjunction with the new feature allowing you to ignore a whole section

Reactions: Jim

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I love (and have already used) this new feature.

I am so pathetically weak willed that, no matter how many, many, many times I shout at myself NOT to open a thread, the wretched little devil sitting on my shoulder tempts me to.

It just gnaws away at me...

"Go on, just one quick look, you don't need to post anything... go on, just one little click"

...and the next thing I know I am in the thick of it, getting all flustered, whilst my cornflakes go all soggy.

The new feature takes away that evil temptation (although I still have to be disciplined, and not sneak a look, after clicking on the thread in order to reach the "Ignore this thread" button!)

JJ :cool:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Great feature @Jim and also well done for getting through the speel without hiccuping!!!! :D

It has however reminded me of a something which I would love to see which is a way of marking a thread which I want to be able to easily access for future reference without having to search for it.

I know I can bookmark it in my browser but if I use a different machine obviously I don't have that bookmark so being able to 'tag' it in some way, or add it to a 'favourite thread list' would be great.

As you've now provided the facility to ignore threads which creates a list could this same method be used to make a list of 'favourite' threads for quick reference which can be 'searchable' as I'm sure it will get long over time?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
what about just making it a 'watched' thread.. ?

you can then click on 'watched threads' from the tool bar
Good idea, but the problem with that is that I watch quite a lot of threads but don't necessarily want to 'keep' them for future reference.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It has however reminded me of a something which I would love to see which is a way of marking a thread which I want to be able to easily access for future reference without having to search for it.

Good idea, but the problem with that is that I watch quite a lot of threads but don't necessarily want to 'keep' them for future reference.

Watching them is the way to go, you'll see a page or more of the threads your watching then, when you are finished with them just unwatch them. It works very well. You probably don't watch as many as I do and i find it works well. Give it a go your feedback would be great (y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
This new facility is EXCELLENT.

Just had my morning session on Fun and I am still is a really happy, content mood.

Now I have a difficult decision... do the washing up or go and use my new irrigation system on the strawberries, wild mint, cabbages, lettuces and new fruit trees...

It was so much easier when you just travelled to work, clocked in and did what you were told to do all day.

JJ :cool:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
what about just making it a 'watched' thread.. ?

you can then click on 'watched threads' from the tool bar

I didn't know you could do that (y) (view just watched threads that is) it will now make things so much simpler, but how to you get to it easily, I found it after much poking at prodding at the keyboard and mouse, by clicking on alerts, then see all, then my account options appeared, is there a quicker easier way? o_O

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Thanx Jim, just used the new ignore threads and it works a treat !

Kath

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Cannot play video whilst at Bagwell Jim internet is so crap here will check it out when we get home next week . 70 odd Funsters here may have the same prob :( THANKYOU X Ps hope Sian and Katie are feeling better x love from us three x

Our internet is going like the proverbial off a stick here at sunny (not) Bagwell.
Now then must put an ignore 'what did you have for your tea'

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thanx Jim, just used the new ignore threads and it works a treat !

Kath

Shame...So you wont see that pic of you I just posted in the EU Referendum thread :rofl:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I didn't know you could do that (y) (view just watched threads that is) it will now make things so much simpler, but how to you get to it easily, I found it after much poking at prodding at the keyboard and mouse, by clicking on alerts, then see all, then my account options appeared, is there a quicker easier way? o_O

The watch thread is next to the ignore thread button. Then in the light blue sub menu above you see the items, watched threads. Click on that and you'll see all the threads you watch. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Watching them is the way to go, you'll see a page or more of the threads your watching then, when you are finished with them just unwatch them. It works very well. You probably don't watch as many as I do and i find it works well. Give it a go your feedback would be great (y)
Errrrr ... I've got 58 pages of 'watched' threads!!!:Eeek:

Is there a way of 'bulk' unwatching them rather than having to click on each one and unwatch them individually?????o_O If there was a box at the side of each thread title which could be clicked on, rather than going into each one it would be much easier but I suspect that's not possible.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Errrrr ... I've got 58 pages of 'watched' threads!!!:Eeek:

Is there a way of 'bulk' unwatching them rather than having to click on each one and unwatch them individually?????o_O If there was a box at the side of each thread title which could be clicked on, rather than going into each one it would be much easier but I suspect that's not possible.

There sure is. When you click on watched threads it only shows you threads that have been posted on. To delete one/some/all, you need to have them all showing.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and show all watched threads. Now you'll see a checkbox next to each thread. Check the box next to this thread, look at the bottom of the page for a dropdown menu and it allows you to do a lot of things with your selected threads. One of those is to unwatch (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back