Water pump? (1 Viewer)

Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
Returning to a motorhome.
Just been for 4 day pootling up the North Coast of Cornwall. We have been on a site at Constantine with no EHU so running on battery alone. We lasted well, but were only using power for the water pump and lighting (for which we only really needed one light which I have converted to led) We didn't even turn the tele on, not even for SWMBO to watch the soaps! Anyway, to get back on subject, is there such a thing as a quiet in tank water pump? Ours sounds incredibly loud, especially at night when all are sleeping. The toilet pump is quieter.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Shouldn't make any noise at all when you are All sleeping.

If its pulsing occasionally either there's a minor leak or the pump needs adjustment to the cutoff screw.

Or you could turn it off at night as you have a separate toilet pump.

OP
OP
J
Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
No, I mean it is v noisy when being operated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I have heard it could be the mountings of the pump to the vehicle,some i have seen are mounted on a rubber bush/spring mount piece of ply and that takes away a lot of the vibration. Then again,what do i know..... Back to the drawing board. Best of luck curing it.
Tea Bag

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If its a surflo type pump they can be noisy...
The best thing you can do that might help apart from relocating it are make sure the flexible rubber mouts are flexible and not tightened to the point they are rigid.. the other thig they recommend is that the connections to the pump inlet and outlet are on flexible pipe.. a lot are connected to semi rigid pipework..
Andy.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If it is an in tank pump (submersible) I don't think there is much you can do other than replace it if it is faulty and making more noise than it should.

External pumps such as the shurflo
1) Check it is mounted with vibration isolating mounts. Similar to this but get the correct size etc ... https://amzn.to/2LaL55P
2) Fit an accumulator. Get the right one but for shureflow something similar to this;
3) Fit flexi pipes for the first 6" of the pipe after the pump. This last step shouldn't be necessary if the 1st two are done properly.

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
John

My submersible pump had become noisier than I remembered, so I had a look inside the tank and found that the pump was up against the side of the tank so that when it was used, it was resonating against the tank and sounding louder. I stuck my hand into the tank and moved the pump away from the tank side - now much quieter :D

Yours may also be a cheap and simple fix as well :D

Cheers

Trevor

OP
OP
J
Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
Sorry, yes separate tanks. I will check mounts and pipes etc. It's intank. We always turn it off when not in use. But it is noisey in use. It goes cer chunk cer chunk cer chunk - only quickly.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Sorry, yes separate tanks. I will check mounts and pipes etc. It's intank. We always turn it off when not in use. But it is noisey in use. It goes cer chunk cer chunk cer chunk - only quickly.
If it's a pressure system:
Turn pressure up
Fit accumulator
Open tap further.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back