Twiggy

Banned
Aug 30, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Just starting out!
Off on a shopping trip for the MH later today. On the list is a water pipe; what sort of length should I go for?

On sites that have electric hook-up, do they generally have an adjacent water source?

Also, what about tap fittings? We will be based in the Netherlands but very close to Germany and Belgium. Our intention is to ‘do’ as much of Europe as we are able whilst we are here. Do we need a whole load of tap fittings for this?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You can get a brass fittings kit from Wilko. Our tap threads are 3/4 BSP but the ones in Spain can be the smaller 1/2" BSP.. Don't know about the Netherlands but both sizes are in the kit.

I've got a 6m hose but I just take a watering can. Some pitches have water on them but I've found most don't.

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I use an X Hose as it takes up so little space and they come in at least 3 different lengths. I also carry a 1.5 metre food grade hose for the occasions when I am close to a tap, and a collapsible watering can for topping up when necessary. That with a small bag of fittings does me fine and the lot takes up very little room.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I bought a 20 metre food grade lay flat hose and cut into 3 lengths 2, 6 and 12 metres.

This gives you a choice depending on the distance you are from the water tap and if needs be I can use a hose joiner to join lengths together. We carry a couple each of the 1/2" BSP and 3/4" BSP tap fittings as I know at some time I'm bound to drive off forgetting the tap fitting. For all other occasions such as drinking fountains we use a folding bucket.

I have not seen X hoses in food grade, but I'm sure I will be corrected.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Don't forget a watering can during your trip. We have a food grade hose pipe but find that we tend to use the watering more often than not!

Worth thinking about.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
why would you need food grade anyway :)

i love this question. (y)

Google has the answer

FilthyVigilantHorse-size_restricted.gif

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
When we first went abroad I was surprised to discover all of their taps use the the same BSP screw as we do. So go into your local B&Q and but 3 or 4 of You will need that number because, if you are anything like me, you will regularly leave one on the tap and only remember it when you are 50 miles down the road.

I have 2 of the shrinkable hoses, one at 30m and one at 15m and I can join them together if I want to. Then I have a couple of shorter lengths of ordinary garden hose, one 3m and one 6m, that I use when I can get close to the tap. But then I have got a decent sized garage to keep them all in.

I do not use food grade. The water is not in contact with the hose long enough to make any difference. I always let water flow through the hose before filling the tank so that washes out any residual water that may have been standing in the hose

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
If the pitch has its own water tap then you have usually paid for the privilege. :gum:

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We
I don’t think they do them.
But why would you need food grade anyway :)

I had a friend who was on the product development team for a hose manufacturer and unfortunately he loved to talk about his work which is why we use food grade hose.

With non food grade hose manufacture the source of this material PVC is not restricted or controlled and it normally consist of recycled PVC from other things such as soles of shoes or whatever. To reduce costs bulking materials such as chalk and clay are added to reduce the PVC content and again there are no regs or controls in place as to their source or health aspects.

PVC normally use phthalates in the plasticisers and these can damage the liver, kidneys, lungs, and reproductive system. The plasticizer leaches out a little into the water residue that remains in the hose each time between uses and is then flushed into the water tank on the next use and is one of the reasons that the water from a PVC hose tastes tainted.

Your choice, ours is food grade hose.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We

I had a friend who was on the product development team for a hose manufacturer and unfortunately he loved to talk about his work which is why we use food grade hose.

With non food grade hose manufacture the source of this material PVC is not restricted or controlled and it normally consist of recycled PVC from other things such as soles of shoes or whatever. To reduce costs bulking materials such as chalk and clay are added to reduce the PVC content and again there are no regs or controls in place as to their source or health aspects.

PVC normally use phthalates in the plasticisers and these can damage the liver, kidneys, lungs, and reproductive system. The plasticizer leaches out a little into the water residue that remains in the hose each time between uses and is then flushed into the water tank on the next use and is one of the reasons that the water from a PVC hose tastes tainted.

Your choice, ours is food grade hose.
All that assumes that you're going to use water that has remained in the hose from the last time it was used. That wouldn't be sensible even with food grade hose. If the hose is flushed before each use then, as has been stated, there is no time for water passing through the hose to absorb anything or become tainted.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
All that assumes that you're going to use water that has remained in the hose from the last time it was used. That wouldn't be sensible even with food grade hose. If the hose is flushed before each use then, as has been stated, there is no time for water passing through the hose to absorb anything or become tainted.

Agreed, but who does flush it out. I have waited in many a queue for water over the years and everbody I've seen just shoves their hose in their filler point and turns the tap on.

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Agreed, but who does flush it out. I have waited in many a queue for water over the years and everbody I've seen just shoves their hose in their filler point and turns the tap on.

So the queue in front has flushed out the hose for you. :gum: Having said that, I use flushed out food grade hose. :emo:

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We always do flush we tend to use a 3m hose most of the time and always flush it out and rinse the outside on the bit thats going to go into the tank (non food grade can't see the point). As for a watering can our m/h luckily has wheels and we seldom if ever stay in the same place more than 2 nights so we move it to the water not the other way around we have a 130 litre tank so tend to put in 100l or so a time. In reply to the op do you intend to stay on serviced pitches most of the time? if so your needs will be different to us!

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
So the queue in front has flushed out the hose for you. :gum: Having said that, I use flushed out food grade hose. :emo:

None of the water fill points we used in France or Germany this year had a hose attached, we had to use our 3/4" BSP tap connector and our hose, tell a lie the site at Koblenz had hose attached.

Upvote 0
Nov 15, 2017
Chippenham, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Quad slider 5th wheeler
I use various lengths of X hose, but before it goes into the 5th wheeler I have an inline filter (a good one). I only drink the boiled water.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We use a 20ft food grade flat hose on a cassette and a 15 litre watering can for those times when the hose won’t reach.
We always flush the hose through before we fill up, whether there’s a queue to use the services or not and use the onboard water for all our needs, we rarely faff around with bottled water unless we are travelling in winter and service area taps are turned off.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
And then when away in the van they drink these which have been sitting in the sun for months...

7C2C1130-CD7D-439A-B4B9-4A5B201974AB.jpeg

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
And then when away in the van they drink these which have been sitting in the sun for months...

View attachment 266152
that's good, the sunlight kills any bacteria. I however use one of thesehose.jpg
and have done for some years.
anyway i'm off to get some popcorn(y)

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
What food do you expect to put down your hose?

Get any kind of hose. Whatever the length, it will six inches too short.
So get two!

A watering can will travel greater distances. But you're unlikely to find a food-grade one!
One on its own is awkward to carry.
So get two! - That would also reduce the number of trips.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back