Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Hi all,

Away in Cornwall with Kev and Ju . Kev’s leisure battery is warm to the touch. Not hot, just warm. Lead acid type. Four years old.
He has 100 W solar and is on ehu. Sun has been shining all day.
As a comparison our AGM is cool. We too have solar and ehu.

We have disconnected the ehu as a precaution. No known issues with the charger. Reading 13.8 v on the panel.

Is it fooked? I will search but maybe a quick answer will point us in the right direction.

Thanks

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Thanks lads.

When we locate a new one I think the procedure is……..ehu disconnected, already done…… disconnect solar positive to controller.

change battery …….reconnect positive solar, reconnect ehu.

Thanks again.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
My (limited) understanding of batteries is that if they if they are getting warm they are buggered. My leisure battery is now 4 years old but is apparently still in fine health according to my man wot knows about such things.

But I’m now at the point where I am looking at possible replacement options ……..just in case.

After all……If you fail to plan,you Plan to fail!!! :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
When we locate a new one I think the procedure is……..ehu disconnected, already done…… disconnect solar positive to controller.

change battery …….reconnect positive solar, reconnect ehu.
Not convinced by that. The procedure for the solar bit is disconnect panels, disconnect battery, change battery, reconnect battery, reconnect panels. Hope that's what you meant.

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Not convinced by that. The procedure for the solar bit is disconnect panels, disconnect battery, change battery, reconnect battery, reconnect panels. Hope that's what you meant.
It was thanks.👍👍

Plan is now…monitor it, call Vanbitz Monday as we are there Friday anyway and ask them to check and do whatever.
Thanks for the advice.👍

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
We have disconnected the ehu as a precaution. No known issues with the charger. Reading 13.8 v on the panel.

Why not leave the EHU connected so you still have 240v in the van and just turn the battery charger off?

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Why not leave the EHU connected so you still have 240v in the van and just turn the battery charger off?

I have passed on your suggestion. He has just gone fishing for an hour and will probably do that on his return.

Thanks

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Might be worth checking that the battery failure was not caused by over voltage charging before installing the new one. A failed solar regulator and a lot of sun might cook a battery. Probably just battery failure but I like to look for causes before learning the hard way that something else contributed to the problem.

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Might be worth checking that the battery failure was not caused by over voltage charging before installing the new one. A failed solar regulator and a lot of sun might cook a battery. Probably just battery failure but I like to look for causes before learning the hard way that something else contributed to the problem.
One reason why he wants Vanbitz to check it all out. Hope they can fit him in Friday pm😱😳😊😩😆👍

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Where are you in Cornwall ? I have an old but serviceable agm leisure battery that he can have to get by and I could pop it over….🤔
That is an amazing offer. 😁😁😁We are at Porth. But charging regimes? Actually changing it?

Kev is quite cautious but if a complete solution appeared he may accept. Reason I am doing this is because I have an iPad and laptop here together with a WiFi dongle.
I’ll get back to you Just smiffy. Again, very generous offer.👍👍👍 Absolute thanks.

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Where are you in Cornwall ? I have an old but serviceable agm leisure battery that he can have to get by and I could pop it over….🤔
That is an amazing offer. 😁😁😁We are at Porth. But charging regimes? Actually changing it?

Kev is quite cautious but if a complete solution appeared he may accept. Reason I am doing this is because I have an iPad and laptop here together with a WiFi dongle.
I’ll get back to you Just smiffy. Again, very generous offer.👍👍👍 Absolute thanks.
No problem, porth is only 30mins from me and it should only be a matter of changing charger to gel from lead (depends on charger model)..

give me a buzz if he needs it … I’m in all week. I’ll pm you my number if he takes it up…

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
No problem, porth is only 30mins from me and it should only be a matter of changing charger to gel from lead (depends on charger model)..

give me a buzz if he needs it … I’m in all week. I’ll pm you my number if he takes it up…
Magic offer. Many, many thanks.👍👍👍👍👍👍

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Traveled from Newquay to Taunton. About three hours. Battery quite warm..

Vanbitz not in a position to help.

We have two hours to home tomorrow.

So,

Disconnect battery completely? Will that damage the alternator?

Disconnect solar only?

Kev is not using ehu tonight as he has switched the charger off.

We only need the safest way to get home as it is in for service and hab check on Tuesday.

TIA

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Traveled from Newquay to Taunton. About three hours. Battery quite warm..

Vanbitz not in a position to help.

We have two hours to home tomorrow.

So,

Disconnect battery completely? Will that damage the alternator?

Disconnect solar only?

Kev is not using ehu tonight as he has switched the charger off.

We only need the safest way to get home as it is in for service and hab check on Tuesday.

TIA
Yes that's what I did when we had the same problem in 2019.
I later bought some cable and wired the leisure battery +connector to the starter battery so we could use the lights and water pump on the way home 👍

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Thanks. What we are concerned about is that the alternator will want to deliver charge and will get damaged if there is no battery to charge.

Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All,
Firstly many many thanks to David (of David and Sally) for posting the thread on my behalf whilst we were away in Cornwall and responding to replies whilst I was dousing my leisure battery in cold water.
As above, the system has been thoroughly checked and there appear to be no issues with the charging circuitry. However, it appears that the problem may have been down to me not topping up my 4 year old leisure battery with distilled water, which was basically because the battery was out of sight and therefore out of mind. When I eventually got around to checking it I was surprised to see that it was dry and 'old school' with cells that needed topping up. I thought that these batteries had been obsolete for years. Obviously not. My new battery is however sealed for life with no maintenance required so all good from here on in.
Many thanks for all your input and assistance on this:giggle:(y)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back