Wannabe Motorhomer (1 Viewer)

DonnaD

Free Member
Oct 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi everyone,

My name is Donna, I'm in my 30s and I live in Tyne and Wear. The hubby and I have given some serious consideration to buying a (used) motorhome. It's something we want to do before our daughter is up and away (she's 11 now) so that we can have some memorable times together as a family in a home away from home, before she gets to the stage where she's too cool to go away with us anymore.

I love watching YT videos of various motorhome channels and I'm constantly looking for inspiration.

We would want to be able to go off-grid so would look to have solar panels etc fitted if they weren't already.

Our main problem with deciding is the vast choice of makes and models available and I'd appreciate your advice in future posts.

I look forward to bugging you all for recommendations for makes and models (I know, to each their own however if someone's has a horrendous time with a certain make I'd appreciate their input).

I think that's all for now,

Thanks in advance,

Donna.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
B366F2EA-6043-4BF5-B557-3E67F70841DA.gif

and Welcome to the Forum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Hello and welcome from another Geordie! When buying a van it's all about layout, get that sorted and then look at the different makes. Oh, and France is really very nice, especially for motorhomes.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Welcome to the forum :welcome4:
Ignore Chris he loves France really
There are some great places in France to visit in a motorhome.
I'd recommend you pay the £15 subscription fee otherwise you only get a few free posts.
When paid you can go to resources and download the motorhome buyer's guide which contains lots of useful information to help you choose a model to suit your needs

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
One thing seems to be true, the older they are, the better built they are, although tiredness takes it's toll obviously, so if you can find a lightly used (but not parked up for years on end) older model I think you will have some fun in it.
As we all say to everyone new, if you haven't done any Motorhoming before, rent one, in fact rent more than one, with different layouts in each, so you can see what sort of design suits your needs best.
That way, when you do buy one, you won't be selling it in a few years because something wasn't to your liking and you were too green to know any different.

So many on this forum and changed vans after a few years, it's quite comical... not to their wallet though I'm sure :D

Oh and welcome to the fun

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
w2f Dont take notice of Chris , he is still getting over Wales being dumped out of the rugby world cup!:D

France is the place motorhomes were made for!(y)

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Hi and welcome, we also are new to m/ h, we viewed a handful, visited the NEC, not to buy, which would of being great, but for ideas, layouts, for us it was also about budget, where it would be stored( safely), insurance costs, MOT, tyres, overall length, as in parking up, or leaving on camping sites, we have been fortunate, ( bought 2003 5 berth hymer), thought I / we, knew exactly what we wanted, bought the complete opposite :rolleyes:
so pleased with (zebedee), been a complete she opener, thankfully found this forum, which has great info, so read/ learn, but like many have said already, try before you buy, as in our case, we have been lucky to ( fingers crossed :X3:) seemed to have got what we wanted, good luck

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
Lots of advice on here so read as much as you can and ask plenty of questions eg payload, lpg etc.
Hiring a motorhome tells you what you don't like as much as what you do.
And we love France plenty of nice aires to stay on.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Hi everyone,

My name is Donna, I'm in my 30s and I live in Tyne and Wear. The hubby and I have given some serious consideration to buying a (used) motorhome. It's something we want to do before our daughter is up and away (she's 11 now) so that we can have some memorable times together as a family in a home away from home, before she gets to the stage where she's too cool to go away with us anymore.

I love watching YT videos of various motorhome channels and I'm constantly looking for inspiration.

We would want to be able to go off-grid so would look to have solar panels etc fitted if they weren't already.

Our main problem with deciding is the vast choice of makes and models available and I'd appreciate your advice in future posts.

I look forward to bugging you all for recommendations for makes and models (I know, to each their own however if someone's has a horrendous time with a certain make I'd appreciate their input).

I think that's all for now,

Thanks in advance,

Donna.

A good show to go to see all different motorhomes and there layouts in one place is the Peterborough motorhome show !

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. ? My advice would be don't be swayed by how you THINK things might be. We looked at over-cab beds and laughed saying we would never want to sleep up there. Once we tried it we were amazed at how spacious it was as well as comfortable. We never slept in the downstairs ones after that. It also meant no making and unmasking of beds each day or stowing the bedding. ?

Wyn

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hi and :welcome3: !!

As others have mentioned layout is key.

And deciding the layout will most likely be influenced by how and where you plan to use it mostly.

If going abroad to warmer climes, then lots of outdoor living. But in the UK, apart from mid-summer, you might need more indoor living space.

All vans require a compromise of some sort, even if you have £100k to spend.

Big = lots of living space, but slightly more restricted on places to go and parking

Small = less living space, but more relaxed driving, easier parking & easier pitching up.

A lot to think about...

Enjoy whatever you decide. :)

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Its all down to personal preference and mainly layout!
All vans will have/ had issues even the German stuff!
Research your dealer, do your homework and view as many vans as you can until you find one that feels right!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back