Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Just saw this on Facebook

VW have just revealed the production version of their new maxi-sized camper to be unleashed on the world later this month - and it's set to be known as the Grand California rather than the XXL as previously believed!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volksw...-volkswagen-grand-california-revealed-in-full

I can’t imagine there will be much change from £65k, but I bet the build quality is better than the other PVCs. We didn’t have one issue with our T5 California, given up counting with AutoSleepers......

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I belueve it does 100 mpg and has zero emmissions as well, the MD himself told me at visiting time :D

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Think that's an acquired taste, not my cup of tea at all. Lot of space given over to a fixed bed too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

VW have just revealed the production version of their new maxi-sized camper to be unleashed on the world later this month - and it's set to be known as the Grand California rather than the XXL as previously believed!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volksw...-volkswagen-grand-california-revealed-in-full

I can’t imagine there will be much change from £65k, but I bet the build quality is better than the other PVCs. We didn’t have one issue with our T5 California, given up counting with AutoSleepers......
I've had 3 fantastic T5 California's one of the benefits was being able to fit under height restrictions but this looks lovely. Will be interesting to see where they store the camping table and chairs without the hatch rear door. Loved my California's.....(y)

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
No plans to change our Kingham despite the annoying foibles, they are all fixable, but if we decide to change to another PVC, this will be the first one we check out.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
According to Autodimensions the California is 1.904 Mtrs
Thats about 50mm less than the Renault or Fiat equivalents

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
According to Autodimensions the California is 1.904 Mtrs
Thats about 50mm less than the Renault or Fiat equivalents
That's at it's widest point. The Fiat has vertical sides, whereas the VW Crafter, VW Transporter and Merc Sprinter (don't know about Renault) all taper in towards the top. So you aren't even going to get that width as it's narrower by the time you're above the wheel arches.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The VW Crafter is a fair bit narrower than a Ducato. I wonder how they are managing to sleep across the van? Westfalia only managed it with a pop-out panel for your feet!
https://www.westfalia-mobil.com/bilder/2017/news/2017_sh_premiere/2017_sh_hom_333_0.jpg
If you look at this photo you can see they've incorporated an 'extended' bits on the sides at the rear (looks like a jutting-out side window) so this is how they get the extra length but it will still be tight.

The interior is a bit too 'plastic' for me though ...

01_14.jpg

02_14.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Will be interesting to see where they store the camping table and chairs without the hatch rear door. Loved my California's.....(y)
Its got double opening doors so under the bed ...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
you can see they've incorporated an 'extended' bits on the sides at the rear (looks like a jutting-out side window) so this is how they get the extra length but it will still be tight.

ah yes.. see it now

sorry.. it's not for me.. the Possl / Globecar are far better design.. but with the VW badge it will sell

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
ah yes.. see it now

sorry.. it's not for me.. the Possl / Globetrotter are far better design.. but with the VW badge it will sell
Harlem??? I used to like Curly!!! :D

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

Looks a really nice van inside. The light grey plastic looks better than wood veneer. Very sporty.

Would be nice if there was one at the NEC in Oct.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Looks a really nice van inside. The light grey plastic looks better than wood veneer. Very sporty.

Would be nice if there was one at the NEC in Oct.

A lot of vans look quite dated with the fabrics used and too much fake wood. I mostly like this look, but it is a bit like the inside of a 747.

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
A lot of vans look quite dated with the fabrics used and too much fake wood. I mostly like this look, but it is a bit like the inside of a 747.
I like the aeroplane look.

Modern van interiors are improving hugely. It wasn’t that long ago, every caravan and Motorhome had gaudy floral or Aztec design upholstery so they wouldn’t show up the paw marks and dropped chocolate.:D

The heavy wood also made the inside very oppressive.

Feb 20, 2010
winchcombe
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
I use to be a massive be fan and had many splitscreens, bay windows,t4 troopers etc, my cars were all vwI now have zero vws in my possession and realised going out of be gets you more for your money my last motorhome Karrmen Colorado did hold its price because of the trendy vw scene the new one will be overpriced I doubt I will ever go back happy in my swift 630g which has everything we nee.

OP
OP
ymfb

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
The plastic finish in our T5 Cali was utilitarian but functional and without fault. It has to be lighter and more robust than the mdf/ chip board used by others.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
The VW Crafter is a fair bit narrower than a Ducato. I wonder how they are managing to sleep across the van? Westfalia only managed it with a pop-out panel for your feet!
https://www.westfalia-mobil.com/bilder/2017/news/2017_sh_premiere/2017_sh_hom_333_0.jpg

I know that for van conversions the DVLA requires a bed at least 1800mm (6ft long) in order to be re-classified as a 'motor caravan' I assume it is the same for new vans?

It might be that one of the other beds is long enough?

Or maybe not available in UK?

VW wouldn't fib would they? :)

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I know that for van conversions the DVLA requires a bed at least 1800mm (6ft long) in order to be re-classified as a 'motor caravan' I assume it is the same for new vans?

It might be that one of the other beds is long enough?

Or maybe not available in UK?

VW wouldn't fib would they? :)

Check the spec of a VW California 'Beach', then look at the DVLA requirements. They class that as a Motor Caravan!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Expensive but a lovely van, the transverse bed will sell well in Germany, some of the top end PVC converters(CS Reisemobile, HRZ, La Strada Regent S) etc will lose sales to this one.
I love it although not seen one in person yet.
If its well insulated/winterised it will be very popular.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
All that plastic doesn't bode well for condensation I would think .
It will probably sell reasonably in a niche market , especially if its considered fashionable ,as that matters more than practicality etc .

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
All that plastic doesn't bode well for condensation I would think .
It will probably sell reasonably in a niche market , especially if its considered fashionable ,as that matters more than practicality etc .

Surely if its got some good insulation in the walls/roof it will be fine. I think it will be both fashionable and practical.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back