Vodafone data only some. (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2011
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Frankia i800 A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Morning all, does anyone have any experience of the Vodafone data only sim, curious as to whether they have limits on how much data you can use in Europe, or any other catches, have always used 3 in the past, but the 12gb limit when roaming is a real pain.
Possibly looking at the 50gb Vodafone sim
Thanks, Mike.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Shirley has a Vodafone contract on her phone. Having run into the 12gb problem with Three I discovered that we can use her phone as a hotspot whilst abroad and use the whole 24gb per month she has on her contract, plus they give you an extra 2gb when you go abroad. To add to this she gets 4g on her phone and Three limit use in Europe to 3g. Three has blown it as far as we're concerned, by giving us the impression that they have no control over the 12gb cap or the 3g limitation.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Lynne has a vodafode contract on her phone 15 gig of data + free phone calls UK & Europe we also took out a 30 gig data contract for mifi we have been using them both abroad since August , we have had internet everywhere we have been so far it was a bit hit and miss on the Mosel Germany.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have Vodafone 20GB monthly in my phone and use it as a hotspot too. For me it was important that Vodafone do not throttle or restrict data usage when abroad as other networks do, it works just as fast as when at home and all of the allowance can be used and extra purchased if need be. I find 20 GB enough and I would clsss myself as a heavy user.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Morning all, does anyone have any experience of the Vodafone data only sim, curious as to whether they have limits on how much data you can use in Europe, or any other catches, have always used 3 in the past, but the 12gb limit when roaming is a real pain.
Possibly looking at the 50gb Vodafone sim
Thanks, Mike.
There is no limits when used in Europe. However, their is a fair usage policy that kicks in after 3 months. So, buy the 30 day rolling contract and cancel after two months to get your full 3 months allowance. You can confirm this by using their online chat feature.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-data-bundles/

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I used a Vodafone sim in Italy, Switzerland and France on our last trip. It worked extremely well - reliably getting a 4G signal, which Three has never given me in Europe. It was on a 30 day rolling contract but I'm going to swap to a 12 month contract.
The only issue was it wouldn't initially connect automatically in France. By scanning for networks then manually connecting to Orange it worked fine thereafter. In Italy it locked onto Vodafone of course. My plan was only 12Gb a month which wasn't enough but I used it all up every month for ten weeks without problems. Sadly, Vodafone reception is very poor where we live so it will only be used on trips - but we will be away over 6 months next year so the extra monthly data you get with a 12 month contract makes it worth it for me.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I used a Vodafone sim in Italy, Switzerland and France on our last trip. It worked extremely well - reliably getting a 4G signal, which Three has never given me in Europe. It was on a 30 day rolling contract but I'm going to swap to a 12 month contract.
The only issue was it wouldn't initially connect automatically in France. By scanning for networks then manually connecting to Orange it worked fine thereafter. In Italy it locked onto Vodafone of course. My plan was only 12Gb a month which wasn't enough but I used it all up every month for ten weeks without problems. Sadly, Vodafone reception is very poor where we live so it will only be used on trips - but we will be away over 6 months next year so the extra monthly data you get with a 12 month contract makes it worth it for me.
You might want to re-think taking out a 12 month contract with Vodafone, a 30 day one only costs £5 more than the monthly contract one (eg 30gb £20 pcm, £25 for 30 day) so whilst it would cost a little more for the months you use it obviously you wouldn't be paying for the months you don't.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
To add to this she gets 4g on her phone and Three limit use in Europe to 3g. Three has blown it as far as we're concerned, by giving us the impression that they have no control over the 12gb cap or the 3g limitation.
Not sure where you got the 3G limitation for Three from as we've certainly had 4G abroad at times.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
vodaphone mobile router 50GB

Used all over Europe

You can use it max 2 months then need to return to UK.

£20+VAT a month

Only thing to watch is scam £3 charges to your account. Had a row with vodaphone about it. They said they could not stop people charging to my account. I advised that I never give sim mobile out. They gave in and refunded me the £9

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You might want to re-think taking out a 12 month contract with Vodafone, a 30 day one only costs £5 more than the monthly contract one (eg 30gb £20 pcm, £25 for 30 day) so whilst it would cost a little more for the months you use it obviously you wouldn't be paying for the months you don't.
I couldn't find a 30 day contract more than 10Gb and the options for buying more data each month are extremely limited.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I couldn't find a 30 day contract more than 10Gb and the options for buying more data each month are extremely limited.
Plenty to choose from here:
upload_2017-11-9_11-58-38.png

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
After a lot of telephoning I have sorted a data only sim with Vodafone. A long-winded process, mainly because the folk you call (UK based) do not know anything about data only sims. Probably best to buy these plans on line but as I had a 30 day contract to cancel I had to call them.
As it turned out they can't convert a 30 day phone sim into a data only sim but at least by calling them I ended up getting the first two months of a 12 month contract free. I went for this instead of a 30 day contract because you get more data per £ and cancelling a 30 day contract is a hassle - deliberately so I suspect! :)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Not sure where you got the 3G limitation for Three from as we've certainly had 4G abroad at times.

In September in France this year I used my 3 sim in my mifi as normal and then I found that even though I had 5 gig (that I had paid for) left I could not use it as I had used up 3's monthly overseas data limit of 9 gig!

I only discovered this after many phone calls to India and as I was abroad for October as well I did not get to use my 5 gig before it vanished!!!!!

I then put the Vodafone sim from my phone in the mifi - all solved!

3 now binned and a free PAYG sim obtained from Vodafone - sorted! :) :)

Reactions: DBK

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Using a mifi I had to phone them to set it up to use abroad. They told me to set it to 3g as it wouldn't work otherwise. It might be that everyone you speak to on Three gives a different story - at least it feels like that when you're stuck in a phone loop.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Using a mifi I had to phone them to set it up to use abroad. They told me to set it to 3g as it wouldn't work otherwise. It might be that everyone you speak to on Three gives a different story - at least it feels like that when you're stuck in a phone loop.

They (3 India) told me exactly the same - they said 3 does not "do" 4g in France or Spain

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
They (3 India) told me exactly the same - they said 3 does not "do" 4g in France or Spain
I've never asked them but my experience over a couple of years is you don't get 4g with Three in the countries I've tried it in - Spain, France and Italy.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I've never asked them but my experience over a couple of years is you don't get 4g with Three in the countries I've tried it in - Spain, France and Italy.

I agree - I found that out too but when I put the Vodafone sim in my mifi I could get 4g when available

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Never had 4G in France with my 3 sim in a mi-fi.
Every time I have tried to change networks to a 4G one it tells me it's not available. Given up trying now.

Also, as well as the data sim I have a monthly contract with 3 for my phone. I never use anything like the data allowance on it as I can't tether when abroad.

It does sound as though I need to explore Vodafone though. For the last couple of years i've automatically gone straight to 3 network.
Could be time for a change.

Richard.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm obviously special then ... :D ... not had it a lot but certainly have on the odd occasion as it came as a surprise! :rolleyes:

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I hold no brief for Vodafone and speak as I find. I used it for phone and tethering in my all inclusive package for two months last autumn and for two months last spring. Through France Netherlands, Germany, Poland and back into France it only failed to find 4g on one, possibly two occasions in the middle of nowhere and it picked up 4g when I wasn't expecting it to in many places. There was no throttling back of speed and I was able to use it up to my data limit with no problems, there are no restrictions on tethering either. Texts and phone calls were unlimited and included. All in all I was delighted with the service and it was far better than 3 or o2 who I had tried previously, they both throttled data speeds and connection with 3 were only ever 3G and sometimes no connection at all. The same applied to o2. As I said I hold no bid for either and would change to a better provider at the drop of a hat, however I don't think any other UK network comes close.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I'm obviously special then ... :D ... not had it a lot but certainly have on the odd occasion as it came as a surprise! :rolleyes:

I’m special too.... o_O had 4g a couple of times but not a lot.... 3G has been fast enough though (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Does anyone know if the gb’s roll over on 12mth contract or monthly...?

We are heavy users while abroad and last time on 3 we only got 9gb on a 12gb sim for £24 and used 4 sims over 4wks....:eek: so if we could get 50gb a month with Vodafone that would be a big bonus

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

We are heavy users while abroad and last time on 3 we only got 9gb on a 12gb sim for £24 and used 4 sims over 4wks....:eek: so if we could get 50gb a month with Vodafone that would be a big bonus
The only rollover plans I am aware of relate to phones and I think the max you can get it 20gb a month which wouldn't meet your needs anyway so nothing left to rollover.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

There is no rollover but you can get 40GB for £41 a month. That’s a hell of a lot of data. Why don’t you give them a call you may well be able to negotiate a better deal the package. Ones with free Spotify etc by if you were to give that up they may be flexible. Perhaps you could expire being a business user which may be cheaper. It’s worth a call.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
There is no rollover but you can get 40GB for £41 a month. That’s a hell of a lot of data. Why don’t you give them a call you may well be able to negotiate a better deal the package. Ones with free Spotify etc by if you were to give that up they may be flexible. Perhaps you could expire being a business user which may be cheaper. It’s worth a call.

Bloody autocorrect again,but I hope you can make sense of the above.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
50GB for £30.00 with Vodafone on a 30 day rolling contract.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back