Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I suspect the manufacturer or converter would know from the Vin number.

But there should be two plates showing loads.

One from the chassis maker and one from the converter. (y)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only the certificate of conformity will as it will have both MIRO and MAM on it. The difference being the payload.
There will be 2 lines for MIRO the second one being Techinal MIRO which will be the weight including factory fitted options.
You also need to take account of dealer and user fitted extras.

Note: If it has been uprated the C of C will still have the original weights.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The VIN number alone won't.
The VIN plate might,
some do some don't but if it does it won't be accurate.
The plate will tell you the gross (maximum loaded) weight and both axle maximum weights. The gross weight is the important one at this point.

From there is a trip to a weighbridge completely empty except you, some fuel and a bit of water.

Deduct that weight from the plates gross weight, that is your payload.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
There is nothing in print form that will tell you your payload, you have to weigh it either empty or full of the stuff you normally carry.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
There is nothing in print form that will tell you your payload, you have to weigh it either empty or full of the stuff you normally carry.

And if there was it would be inaccurate and possibly very optimistic!!!!!

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
You may want to look at this site.....

https://www.vindecoderz.com

I have checked our MH (it isn't just for motorhomes) and it does supply quite a bit of info but I cant see a payload.

The dvla vehicle check will give you a Revenue weight ( the heaviest it can be on the road) of the vehicle .

I think the only info re payload you will find online is the manufacturers figures and as been said on here frequently you cannot rely on them.

I cannot find it at the moment but there is an article on the forum in the form of a spreadsheet (may be in the resources section) that allows you to calculate what payload you will need. I think it was launched 3 or 4 years ago?

Our MH has been updated to 3850kg and we managed 5 months over winter without going close to that. It took a while to sink in with us but you DO NOT need to set of with everything you are going to need for the whole of the trip. There isn't much in the UK that you cannot get in Europe.

Good Luck with your search(y)
Barry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
I suspect the manufacturer or converter would know from the Vin number.

But there should be two plates showing loads.

One from the chassis maker and one from the converter. (y)
The motorhome is being sold by a broker. We asked him to send photos but he said he was 2hrs away from the van. And the owner was old and did think he would manage to find the plates. Bit miffed as we like the van. But it's about a 6/7 hr drive for us to get there. Any ideas

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The motorhome is being sold by a broker. We asked him to send photos but he said he was 2hrs away from the van. And the owner was old and did think he would manage to find the plates. Bit miffed as we like the van. But it's about a 6/7 hr drive for us to get there. Any ideas
Put another thread up asking if there any Funsters near there.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

Ask if someone local will visit the owner to view the van - it has worked for others on here (y)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Agreed Lenny, but it could have a towbar, sat dish, four big batteries..... There's another possible 150kg.

Weighbridge IS the only option.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Agreed Lenny, but it could have a towbar, sat dish, four big batteries..... There's another possible 150kg.

Weighbridge IS the only option.
True but he was asking if there was any paperwork, and thats the closest you can get, then you need to use common sense but no good asking a dealer they haven't a clue.
So the correct answer should have been None. :)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
True but he was asking if there was any paperwork,
Sorry Lenny, he was asking if the VIN would reveal the payload.....no it won't, the VIN identifies the vehicle when it left the factory, not what happened to it afterwards.

If I was checking a motorhome and had the vin number. Would it tell me the payload?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Just asked some one in the Inn. He said flip or words like that when I quizzed him about payloads. He said he had never weighed his and never been pulled over. His campervan is out side on our drive as I type this. Am I making to much of this

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Just asked some one in the Inn. He said flip or words like that when I quizzed him about payloads. He said he had never weighed his and never been pulled over. His campervan is out side on our drive as I type this. Am I making to much of this
No. Unless you are happy to drive a vehicle that may be dangerously overloaded,in which case carry on regardless.
Oh,and you might as well have 10 year old tyres as well. And why not go without ever having a habitation check so that your gas leaks...............

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Whilst the Certificate of Conformity might not tell you the current weights and available payload it does seem like a good starting point. At least you will know what the position was when it left the factory and might feasibly be able to strip it back to if needed. If the payload was insufficient to start with then surely that is worth knowing because you can walk away without further investigation.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
If I was checking a motorhome and had the vin number. Would it tell me the payload?
No

Please dont take this the wrong way, but you keep asking payload questions. The ONLY way to get the payload is to weigh the individual van and sbtract from the MAM on the weight plate under the bonnet

Please dont make the mistake of using brochure specs ( certainly not on vehicles more than a decade old)
Two vehicles could leave the production line with an identical CoC and differ in actual weight by hundreds of kilos

Beware
Get dealer to get off his fat ar** and weigh it before you travel

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Whilst the Certificate of Conformity might not tell you the current weights and available payload it does seem like a good starting point. At least you will know what the position was when it left the factory and might feasibly be able to strip it back to if needed. If the payload was insufficient to start with then surely that is worth knowing because you can walk away without further investigation.
That is what I was getting at and using a bit of common sense you can get a good estimate.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Log Book shows max weight at 3500 so you need to know it's current weight to determine payload I doubt it's much at 3500 but can probably be updated by 200kgs on paper

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
btw @Innkeeper there's a couple of recent advisories on the 2019 MOT.
And why is the registration number on the 2018 MOT photo different from the one shown on the V5? Both of them being "cherished".

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I don’t disagree that weighing the van will allow you to calculate the payload in it’s present state but
Two vehicles could leave the production line with an identical CoC and differ in actual weight by hundreds of kilos
is a bit misleading. There is a legal requirement that the CoC shows the weights within 5% so it does give a reasonable indication of what you should be able to return the van to if you need to.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I don’t disagree that weighing the van will allow you to calculate the payload in it’s present state but

is a bit misleading. There is a legal requirement that the CoC shows the weights within 5% so it does give a reasonable indication of what you should be able to return the van to if you need to.
So if CoC says for example 3000 kgs, the van could actually weigh 2851 kg or 3149 kg, 298kg discrepancy
That was my point to the OP

DVSA would not be interested in “reasonable indication” argument, but I do take on board your point :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back