DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Avtex TV in our van has a developed a prominent streak across the screen. It still works but needs replacing. We also haven't really used it for the last couple of years as we have just streamed TV to a tablet.

But technology moves on and now we could have a smart TV which would connect to the WiFi and we could stream to that and have a larger screen.

A few Google searches later Cello TVs seem well priced and a lot less than an Avtex.

But are they recommended?

Open to the floor. :)

Jul 20, 2023
Battle, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL Auto
Exp
Limited motorhome and campervan hire previously.
They are not to the same standard but are value for money. Beware that the sound can be awful depending on the model. Ours is appalling sound wise but we overcame this with small Anker Bluetooth amplifier. Picture is fine, but not stunning.
We have a small remote keyboard to save using remote for typing text entered when it's online via phone hotspot etc.
Believe very latest models have superior sound. HTH

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Picture will be fine, especially on a smaller screen [what are you looking at 19"-23"? in a PVC]
Viewing angle might be a bit limited but that shouldn't be an issue
Sound will be awful as it is for any flat screen TV, but easily & cheaply remedied.

Save your cash, go for the Cello
If you buy from Amazon, you can send it back "free returns"

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
When we changed our van we ended up with an Avtex and now understand why they cost more than the others. The Cello sound can be bettered with a sound bar but I still think the picture especially at angles can’t match the Avtex

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Not had an Avtex, but our Cello Traveller tv is excellent. Most small flat screen TVs will strughle to match the large TV speakers by the nature of their limited size, but we are very happy with ours and would buy again if necessary

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This, the only Cello worth having is the Traveller one. Sounds a bit tinny, easily overcome with a cheap ANker sound bar.
Had two Travellers a 19" & 22" both been good though not smart ones. I always wire the sound to my head unit never use me the TV speakers.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Had two Travellers a 19" & 22" both been good though not smart ones. I always wire the sound to my head unit never use me the TV speakers.
Mines the 22, but to be honest just use the firestick to use the smart functions.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've just replaced our 24" Ferguson (Cello rebrand - non-Smart) with a 32" Cello Traveller.

Both have a good quality picture despite not being UHD and, as others have said, the sound can be a little tinny but acceptable. Having said that, we have a Creative Air, but in the process of testing an Anker Soundcore 3, soundbar.

A key reason we changed was it has built in Freesat (we have a dish on the roof) with a far superior EPG to FTA.

Be aware, there are different versions of the model and using the 32" size as an example -
The first is non-12v whereas the second is.

There are also various other options on their website https://celloelectronics.com/model/televisions/

We went for the LG Web OS version (more expensive) as we've had LG TV's at home and are used to the "similar" menus, etc.

There are a number of pre-installed apps on it and others can be added (some versions don't allow this!) See the attached specification sheet.

We did look at Avtex but the Cello, at c60% less cost, it was a no-brainer for us! Buy one and get another (+ a lifetime's supply of the batteries for the remotes:whistle2:) for free.:Smile:

Do look around at the prices though as, even sometimes, direct from Cello can be cheaper!

ps all Cello TVs are, allegedly, manufactured in the UK. There was an article on BBC News with their MD a few years ago bumming on about this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Cello CS32WS01.pdf
    430 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Many thanks for all the replies and there are indeed a lot of different models. But there is a 24" Smart Traveller which is 12 volt with free sat that looks ideal, we don't have room for anything bigger. £230 on their website, currently out of stock but expected to be available later this week.

Last edited:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I'm on my 2nd cello...no problem. First one needed up broken on a big clean.
I went for the larger 2nd one a d sound is much better.

Can't comment on the avtex but am happy with both the cellos.
I watch netflix ,sports and all the movies in it and have no major issues.

Reactions: DBK

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
On our new van it's come with an alphatronic smart tv which is quite good. It's wired thru the van speakers so sound is good, tunes to a normal aerial and also has all the apps to stream stuff inbuilt but not cheap. Pictures are good, it's based on LG operating system so although it says made in Germany I'm wondering if its not LG badged or if they just use the OS.

Jul 1, 2016
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T620g
Exp
since 1969
With Cello's you need to make sure you get the Traveller version they have a much better viewing angle and a stabilised 12v supply.
My experience also having had both Cellos. Get a Traveller version.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Currently on our second cello traveller.

We bought a smart tv the first time but got caught out when after a year the apps wouldn’t update. Found out that the apps loaded onto it were ‘no longer supported’! Bought new online but must have been ‘old’ stock. Got round it by plugging in a firestick. Now using a dvd one along with firestick.
We find the picture absolutely fine.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
We have an LG 22” Smart TV/Monitor that comes with a 240v 3 pin to 19vDC power supply lead. Use a 12v ciggy plug to 19v laptop PSU and it works perfectly in the moho. Cost was (IIRC) £170 in Argos at the time and it has very good sound and picture.

EDIT: Just had a look and they currently have an LG 24” 19v Smart TV/Monitor for £139.99 (-10% using code LG10).

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Just one point that’s not obvious..

My Cello TV is designed for motorhomes and as a result weighs (it seems) as little as 2 paperback books.

It is as light as a feather.

Sorry, I’ve no idea/experience about other motorhome TVs

Dec 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
Bought a Cello Traveller last year.Very pleased with it.Connects to the van head unit by Bluetooth for excellent sound.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
We have the Ferguson version. Again acceptable picture, and dinky sound output. We don't stream, just miracast stuff I've preloaded on the the phone. It's our last night away tonight and we still haven't got through all the downloads, but we're not big TV watchers. I've got away with the 12gb allowance on my new Tesco contract costing £9.00 per month. It works for me, but probably not for a lot of others.
Mike.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Don’t know anything about them but seems good, weird it say 24” but it’s 22”

Oct 16, 2019
Bishop Auckland, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
We are on our second Cello. First one I bought as a second at the factory. It was OK.

Bought the 22" Traveller last year(not smart one). Much better, nice picture and the sound is OK for us.

I asked at the factory what the difference was between the Traveller and other ones and its the viewing angle and the 12V regulated supply.

ps all Cello TVs are, allegedly, manufactured in the UK. There was an article on BBC News with their MD a few years ago bumming on about this.
The factory is 1/2 a mile from me. They used to have a factory shop but not anymore.

But I do think the Avtex have a better picture, but at a cost

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
We have the Cello android smart tv, it’s 12v and weighs less than a loaf, picture and sound are excellent, even better after a beer, my only complaint is some of the s&1£ the wife watches 🤣

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back