Sep 26, 2022
London, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Amala734
Exp
30 years
Hi guys and girls,
Will be viewing this 4 year old van in a couple of days i.e. 2.3 Autotrail imala 734 semi auto many extras. Looking forward to the viewing and the owner sounds a nice genuine guy. My question to you, is there anything thats outstanding that I should be looking for, I will appreciate anyone's advice or points of view that can help me make up my mind. Not had auto motorhome before am a little concerned on consumption. Drove class 1 trucks all my life and wasn't keen on auto but willing to give this a try due to people opinions on here, were all getting older.
Many thank in advance Buster.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
the auto will likely be a robotic box (manual with servos to change gear) so fuel consumption will be the same as a manual. We have a 2019 Burstner with the Fiat Comformatic. As opposed to the new true auto. Till you get used to it it may seem a bit sluggish and we find that it will pul away quicker if say coming out of a side road if we dont press the accelerator too hard. You soon get used to it. At 4 years old hopefully any snags wil have been sorted. Hab checks and service history is important.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Buster54

Buster54

Free Member
Sep 26, 2022
London, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Amala734
Exp
30 years
the auto will likely be a robotic box (manual with servos to change gear) so fuel consumption will be the same as a manual. We have a 2019 Burstner with the Fiat Comformatic. As opposed to the new true auto. Till you get used to it it may seem a bit sluggish and we find that it will pul away quicker if say coming out of a side road if we dont press the accelerator too hard. You soon get used to it. At 4 years old hopefully any snags wil have been sorted. Hab checks and service history is important.
Many thanks Bessy the gearbox doesn't really faze me as you say just a matter of getting use to it. šŸ‘

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Has it got a service history. If itā€™s turned 4yrs old it should have had a brake and clutch/gearbox fluid change.
Good luckšŸ‘

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Buster54

Buster54

Free Member
Sep 26, 2022
London, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Amala734
Exp
30 years
Has it got a service history. If itā€™s turned 4yrs old it should have had a brake and clutch/gearbox fluid change.
Good luckšŸ‘
Appreciate the tips and all taken on board does have service history so hopefully all done many thanks

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Appreciate the tips and all taken on board does have service history so hopefully all done many thanks

I will just re-iterate what Revolvor said. Download the excellent buyers guide that Jim created just for this purpose.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Buster54

Buster54

Free Member
Sep 26, 2022
London, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Amala734
Exp
30 years
I will just re-iterate what Revolvor said. Download the excellent buyers guide that Jim created just for this purpose.

Ok will download this and have a read many thanks

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It generally not practical to run a 7.25 m van on a 3500 kg chassis.
If it is on a 3500 kg chassis it is not really useable as it will have a very small payload needs to uprated to 3850kg or preferably on the 4250kg chassis.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Buster54

Buster54

Free Member
Sep 26, 2022
London, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Amala734
Exp
30 years
It generally not practical to run a 7.25 m van on a 3500 kg chassis.
If it is on a 3500 kg chassis it is not really useable as it will have a very small payload needs to uprated to 3850kg or preferably on the 4250kg chassis.
Strange you should mention this.
It as been up rated and this is one thing that been bugging me as I've just sold my Savannah which I had 6yrs on the maxi chassis with similar layout to the imala.but running at 4250kg
20230109_215116.jpg
But the problem is all these vans are being made so light now due to C1 license. There was talk of it being arazed and back to 7 5tons. The problem i have I'm 70 next year and have to have medical not saying I won't pass but just preparing myself incase I fail. My past career was uk and European truck driver so I am aware of what I'm doing but that van is ideal and I'm thinking I have a 6x4 box trailer that could solve the problem.
I ask your opinion on that as you seem quite knowledgeable???

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Strange you should mention this.
It as been up rated and this is one thing that been bugging me as I've just sold my Savannah which I had 6yrs on the maxi chassis with similar layout to the imala.but running at 4250kg View attachment 704702But the problem is all these vans are being made so light now due to C1 license. There was talk of it being arazed and back to 7 5tons. The problem i have I'm 70 next year and have to have medical not saying I won't pass but just preparing myself incase I fail. My past career was uk and European truck driver so I am aware of what I'm doing but that van is ideal and I'm thinking I have a 6x4 box trailer that could solve the problem.
I ask your opinion on that as you seem quite knowledgeable???
I'll be 73 this year currently have 4500kg van and a 4250 kg one on order, only a 6.67 m but only 600kg payload at 3500 . IMO well worth it for the payload makes using it so much easier.

Towing a trailer will limit where you can stop & up ferry costs up, after I stopped tugging I said I never want to tow again.

Even if it's been uprated the rear axle will still be 2000kg unless it's had air suspension fitted to the rear.
Al-Ko chassis the rear can be uprated to 2240kg with air and if 15" wheels tyres will need changing, I don't know the situation on a Fiat chassis.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Buster54

Buster54

Free Member
Sep 26, 2022
London, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Amala734
Exp
30 years
I'll be 73 this year currently have 4500kg van and a 4250 kg one on order, only a 6.67 m but only 600kg payload at 3500 . IMO well worth it for the payload makes using it so much easier.

Towing a trailer will limit where you can stop & up ferry costs up, after I stopped tugging I said I never want to tow again.

Even if it's been uprated the rear axle will still be 2000kg unless it's had air suspension fitted to the rear.
Al-Ko chassis the rear can be uprated to 2240kg with air and if 15" wheels tyres will need changing, I don't know the situation on a Fiat chassis.
Yes I understand that as I added air to the Savannah myself at a cost of around Ā£350 that was also on my mind. I wild camp and the Savannah carried 160ltr of water so that another factor. Trailer not a problem, Park jump on a bus if need be and as for the medical on 22 tablets a day, and i can downgrade the imala if need be.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Buster54

Buster54

Free Member
Sep 26, 2022
London, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Amala734
Exp
30 years

Thanks Lenny for your feedback well appreciated

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes I understand that as I added air to the Savannah myself at a cost of around Ā£350 that was also on my mind
If its an Al-Ko cost will be Ā£2000.
as for the medical on 22 tablets a day,
Ouch! I'm only on 3 for BP.
I think I would be looking for a smaller van with a decent payload.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back