Vibration after new tyres (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 16, 2019
Bishop Auckland, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Just had 4 new tyres fitted as failed the MOT and the front ones were near the legal limit. It was fitted with Effivan budget ones and I have gone mid range with Kuhmo.

But getting a vibration - difficult to pin point but worse around 30-40mph onwards. the lockers are rattling and seat cushions moving about. I thought it might be due to the tyres being a harder ride but never had this before

Had the wheels balanced again but they were OK. Tyre place said it could be a warped tyre but difficult to prove unless sent back to manufacturers. Also said it could be driveshaft but common sense leads me to the tyres as that's the only change apart from having new rear spring bushes put in.

It was a very nice ride with the budgets on. Its not now.

MOT garage are going to have a look in 2 weeks

Any other ideas or had this problem?

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Surely a trip down the road with the Fitter would be the answer. If they won't oblige reject the tyres as not fit for purpose. You may have to get another set of tyres fitted elsewhere to prove the point, or not.🤷
Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
If it did not do it on the old tyres then it's the tyres or possibly rubbish between the wheel and the hub but I doubt that

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Maybe over inflated giving a harder ride or maybe last ones were slightly under inflated. :whistle2:

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
Just had 4 new tyres fitted as failed the MOT and the front ones were near the legal limit. It was fitted with Effivan budget ones and I have gone mid range with Kuhmo.
Just had Kuhmo Portran fitted and I'm delighted - much better than Agilis.

Jun 7, 2014
Cleethorpes
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Poorly balanced wheels vibrate at 30 to 40 mph. One of the first things I was taught as a mechanic apprentice in the 70s.
Could be something else but doesn't seem likely.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Check wheel nuts, then pressure (make sure the same as before and not higher), if those okay, jack individual wheel, put pointer near rim and turn/spin. (Check for distortion).

PS. If all okay, I would double check the rear spring bushes as they were also changed! 🤔

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ianbenny
Oct 16, 2019
Bishop Auckland, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
OK, thanks for the suggestions and replies.

Sounds to me like a load of excuses for their poor attempt at balancing the tyres.
I have had them rebalanced at the local tyre shop (not the garage that fitted them) and they were all OK - hardly anything out of all 4 tyres.
Surely a trip down the road with the Fitter would be the answer. If they won't oblige reject the tyres as not fit for purpose. You may have to get another set of tyres fitted elsewhere to prove the point, or not.🤷
Mike.
Yes that's the first thing I asked him, but the other lad who works there is on holiday so he couldn't when I called in.

Wheel nuts are tight and pressures set at 70psi. The pressures recommended are 72 front and 79 rear. I thought he had set them too high, but that usually causes a bouncy ride, not vibration I thought. The original budget ones had a max psi of 68.

If you have a spare wheel , swap for each wheel one at a time, this should isolate the fault .
Good suggestion and this is the way I am going. The garage that fitted them is an honest place and is going to sort it out, but cant fit me in till June 3rd. He suggested that he would buy 2 new tyres and do a swap, but then remembered he still has the old tyres so will try swapping them about.

Tyre place said that if its front wheel balancing out, this shows up between 50-60mph and rear wheels at 90-100mph - I dont go over 60 mph anyway

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Are you brave enough to test the theory for the rears being out of balance 😁
Mike.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
A few years ago I had tyres fitted to my car and that didn’t feel right, jacked it up and checked and the tyres we’re not round, garage had to get new tyres fitted to sort it.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
No - The last time I did 100mph was on an Honda CBR 600 in 2001. And it was only once 😁

I havent hit the national speedlimit on Motorways yet. My speed limiter starts to shout at me from the passenger seat 😁
Snap, I also have one of those, unless we're in " broken T.V Mode" = picture but no sound, 🤣.
Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back