Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Took my JRT to the Vet this morning to return to UK.
She-JRT-has been getting more obstinate about the worming tab every time but this time there was no chance of getting it down her, the vet & myself tried but she-JRT-got so stressed the vet said to give it to her later with something tasty!!!!
Vet signed the passport, I paid & off we went. I might try tomorrow, but she’s a suspicious girl and anything slightly out of the norm & she knows!
I can’t imagine the tab is that important as the vet was happy to let it go!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The vet in Bruges just told me to give it when due whilst the nurse played with my dog, he never got up out of his chair !
Signed stamped and 20 euro thanks very much

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The tablet IS important so please do give it to the dogs, whilst there's a slim chance that your dogs will have anything, this hopefully prevents any nasty stuff that is in Europe getting into the UK and affecting dogs here.

We don't usually have a problem with ours either but this last time was a bit of a nightmare ... Romy wasn't keen but eventually ate it, Lily who eats anything wouldn't take it at all so had to have it stuck down her throat which she did not like one bit, and Tazzy lived up to her 'alter ego' which she was named after ... ie a Tasmanian Devil ... and tried to bite the vet! The vet was a young lady and very pleasant and friendly with the dogs so no idea why they played up. I'm just wondering if they've changed the content of the 'bone shaped chewy worming tablets' we give them and the dogs just didn't like the smell/taste of them?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
We have always had to be sure that the French vets give us Milbemax worming tablets for ours, rather than the normal Drontal. They both have the same effect on the worms, but the latter are bigger tablets, which must taste dreadful, as dogs hate taking them, whilst the Milbemax are very small, and seem to have no bad taste. We usually just mix the tablet up in the next meal, and it disappears! (Yes, we do watch to make sure it’s not just hidden somewhere!)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We take a piece of cheese and vet pushed drontal in. Dog loves it. So sorry to hear your distressing tails would hate to sit and watch our pouch go through such experience. Good luck for better results in future trips

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
In our earlier travel days we hadn't found a preferred vet, used google for the town we were in and got robbed

Lola spat out the tablet three times, vet insisted on giving an injection instead, came out with an €80 bill o_O

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I was surprised how easy jade took it
I had a lot of bother giving her painkillers and antibiotics after she was sterilized but she swallowed the worm tablet with no fuss at all.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The tablet IS important so please do give it to the dogs, whilst there's a slim chance that your dogs will have anything, this hopefully prevents any nasty stuff that is in Europe getting into the UK and affecting dogs here.

Can you tell me what exactly the 'nasty stuff' is which might find its way to the UK?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
A lump of cheese with the tablet hidden within, fools our dog every time. I believe it’s tapeworm we’re trying to keep away from.

Mrs QFour

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.

We don't usually have a problem with ours either but this last time was a bit of a nightmare ... Romy wasn't keen but eventually ate it, Lily who eats anything wouldn't take it at all so had to have it stuck down her throat which she did not like one bit, and Tazzy lived up to her 'alter ego' which she was named after ... ie a Tasmanian Devil ... and tried to bite the vet! The vet was a young lady and very pleasant and friendly with the dogs so no idea why they played up. I'm just wondering if they've changed the content of the 'bone shaped chewy worming tablets' we give them and the dogs just didn't like the smell/taste of them?
Just wrap it in a bit of cheese.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, try milbemax dog chewable tablets , our cocker ASBO , wont take pills no matter what we or the vet does , but with these she just gobbles them down , got my vet to order specially as he doesn't normally stock them .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Can you tell me what exactly the 'nasty stuff' is which might find its way to the UK?
This gives you more info:

The pertinent part is that the treatment must ...
  • contain praziquantel or an equivalent proven to be effective against the Echinococcus multilocularis tapeworm
This can be transmitted to humans so its not just dogs that are at risk:

At the present it is believed that the UK is free of this, hence the requirement for treatment:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back