Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
I have been ringing around locally for the cost of the Rabies blood test for our 2 dogs, both have pet passports but never had the blood test done as it was not required. The highest I have been quoted is £220 per dog and up to now the lowest is £187, does anyone know any cheaper vets? we are in Warrington but would travel if we can get a more realistic cost. I am hoping the numpties in Westminster will finally do a deal so I won't need the test and we can travel in April however, if there is no deal we would have to travel in May 3 months after the blood test.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
@DBK had his dog vaccinated for rabies. I think he`s down south but he may be able to give you a cost for comparisson.
What you`ve been quoted sounds high to me.
I was hoping to travel in June but may put off until September if no deal, hopefully things will be clearer by then ???

OP
OP
missmollie

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
It is expensive, I contacted a lab that does the tests in the UK called Biobest, they charge £66 for the actual test and paperwork, that is some mark up from our caring veterinarians. We could go before the 29th March, I know I would be OK coming back to the UK with our existing pet passports but if there is no deal and we need the test to be done and something happens in Spain or France I would never hear the end of it off he Mrs.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk Riviera
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
We took our 2 to be tested yesterday, it cost £182 for the both of them, but that was down here in Norfolk.

Pete

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We took our 2 to be tested yesterday, it cost £182 for the both of them, but that was down here in Norfolk.

Pete

Worth a trip across and a couple of days R and R

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have been ringing around locally for the cost of the Rabies blood test for our 2 dogs, both have pet passports but never had the blood test done as it was not required. The highest I have been quoted is £220 per dog and up to now the lowest is £187, does anyone know any cheaper vets? we are in Warrington but would travel if we can get a more realistic cost. I am hoping the numpties in Westminster will finally do a deal so I won't need the test and we can travel in April however, if there is no deal we would have to travel in May 3 months after the blood test.
£82 for the blood test at South Moor Vets at Ivybridge, Devon. But no help if you live elsewhere. :)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
£116.00 one dog, used ‘Vets for Pets’

AA3A55A6-1F53-4F28-861F-10B1230E7982.jpeg

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
We used Bridge Vets at Highbridge, Somerset. Blood Titre Test was £91.95, the month before we had a Rabies booster (extra cost) for Pippa brought forward slightly so as to make sure she passed the blood test.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
We payed £88 for the test and £18.88 for them taking the blood at Tern vets Newport Shropshire. (they also have a branch in Market Drayton) The lab charged £48 for the actual test,the
'missing' £40 is for preparation,packing and shipping of the sample,so I was told :whistle:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We were charged £123 but that included a pack of wormer which we’d run out of. We’re in West Sussex.

Steadycam

Free Member
Mar 22, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
Can I ask do you need any jabs or passports for a cat. Not clear when I've researched

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
@missmollie have a look to see if there is a Whitecross Vets near you. I found them to have a competitive price structure compared to an established vets I've used previously.
They were also very thorough.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm already in Spain with one dog and adopting another out here. I won't be coming back before March

My dog has a Spanish passport and she's only 1 year old and had rabies innoculations etc done last April.
The dog I'm adopting will have Spanish passport too and will have rabies etc done this month when he's 6 months old.

Can anyone advise if I will need to do all these tests etc before I return ?

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Was so glad to see this thread today. My dogs rabies jab is due tomorrow and as I’m not sure if I’ll be going across the water this year I did wonder about letting it lapse but having seen how much it is to begin again I think I’ll just stump up the £44 for the jab.

I hope you find somewhere cheaper @missmollie. It’s an expensive business.

OP
OP
missmollie

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
Northernraider, you will not have to do anything more than what you already have to get back into the UK, the problem is getting into the EU after March if there is no deal and they require blood tests for rabies.

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
It is expensive, I contacted a lab that does the tests in the UK called Biobest, they charge £66 for the actual test and paperwork, that is some mark up from our caring veterinarians. We could go before the 29th March, I know I would be OK coming back to the UK with our existing pet passports but if there is no deal and we need the test to be done and something happens in Spain or France I would never hear the end of it off he Mrs.

Why not go before 29th March and get it done abroad, it will be much cheaper, that’s if you are going for more than three months.
We are coming back to Portugal on 27th March and will be getting it done here on our return if need be.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Confused: why is the titre test needed for Europe, we thought it was for return to the UK. We don’t have rabies in the UK. are we missing something?
It will only be neccessary IF we have a no deal becomming a third country AND be placed on the unlisted tier. We COULD and should be added to tier two which is known rabies clear countries then all that will be required additionally is the "Fit for Travel Certificate"

Reactions: DBK

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Confused: why is the titre test needed for Europe, we thought it was for return to the UK. We don’t have rabies in the UK. are we missing something?

I don't think you're missing anything - the whole thing is confusing. We had our dog blood tested just to try and be sure we can travel in May.

After the blood test you need to wait three months before travel. I don't get that at all. If the antibodies are sufficient and the titre test shows this to be the case, surely that should be all that is required. The vet I spoke with had no idea why there should be a wait.

She also said that dogs who are up to date with their rabies vaccination sometimes fail the titre test, and in some cases they fail multiple times. It depends on the size, breed and age of the dog and the type/make of vaccine used. I'd always assumed that our dog would be immune to rabies just by virtue of him being vaccinated... obviously that's not necessarily the case.

OP
OP
missmollie

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
Really have thought about going before the 29th March and having the blood test done when we return or in France or Spain, this way we will know if the test is definitely required or not.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back