Very tempted by Globecar at NEC (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well as we had the day off we drove down to the NEC to have a look for new chairs a bin and so e small items, we came back with 4 glass holders.
We have been thinking for a while that we will downsize to a van conversion in the next year or two as Sophie won't be coming with us as much. They had loads of vans on display with all different layouts and standards but for us the Globecar win hands down, we liked the Scout Family L means Sophie could still joins us if she wants. Now didn't go looking for a van but enquired about price to change our Adria Matrix 2010, for the L with all the accessories and a few extras very varying prices and within 10/15 mins got the price to change down by £7k. Told him no as would need to take another £4k off at least, had two calls on the way home and I'm sure if we want to we could get him there.
As for the other makes they all had things going for them, the sun life I think that's its name by Adria came in at £37k not a bad van for the money slightly more basic but good value. Also had a look at the Hymer van conversion and was rather disappointed with it and the sales team. I couldn't stand upright in the shower and I'm only a touch over 6ft, as for the salesmen I asked two for info and both replied oh your Scottish better speak to the Scottish dealer. Asked for him at the Hymer reception to be told he wasn't there, when asked if anyone else would help they had to force someone to speak to me.
What really surprised me was how little some salesmen knew about their product, I asked a couple about the insulations values in the van conversion s and some of the replies where, there's material stuff in the inside its got some but not sure how much. One said I was the only person out of hundreds to ask.
One sales rep that really pissed me off was the female at Concorde, I asked for a look in the two MH's and she said you do know the price don't you.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
If you think the need for the third bed is going to be increasingly occasional, don't discount the other Globecar 2 berth models. The optional table has a further option to make it into a third bed. It makes a transverse single immediately behind the front seats.

We wanted the optional table anyway, as it's more versatile than the standard one & the extra for the bits to make it into a bed was peanuts, so we had it - with an eye on the resale price as much as anything. We've never used it yet, but it's not a bad bed so long as you are under 6ft.

If you are happy with a transverse bed for the main bed, then it also gives you an option of a sub-6m van. Makes a difference on some ferries & a big difference on Scandanavian road bridges.

We are very pleased with our Campscout, but might well have gone for the Familyscout L if a transverse rear bed had been a viable option for us.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Having done extensive searches online for some time we went to the NEC just to look at Globecars last year & having spent 2 days looking at all the van conversions (& small coachbuilts) we thought it was the best quality build, fit & finish there(y) Didn't buy one as above our budget plus a bit too tight for 3 so bought our considerably cheaper & a bit bigger Chausson :) If there are 2 of you most of the time think it is a great option & if we change to a van conversion at a later date Globecar would be at the top of our wishlist too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The Globecar is also what we have decided on. .. haven't quite decided on the model yet..

Like yourselves, Charlottte will be coming with us for a few years yet, the Family L was our first choice, and even considered getting the pop up roof .. but it is 6.3 mt.. with the ferry and toll costs in mind we thought it would be prudent to keep it to 6mt.. then we thought perhaps two single beds instead of a transverse might be better but that's also 6.3mt

The final decision may only be made when we visit the dealer..

you may already have watched this video ..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
ah my favourite topic PVC's :D

A good choice....we have the Possl (636 FR, french bed model) because I can't stand the graphics on Globacars. The family L unusual in that you get a really large lounge for a panel van, but main reason we changed was to get away from transverse beds. Solid construction, better quality fixtures and fittings a real good choice. Also resonable insulation for a van....there are better vans out ther but not in this price bracket

The reason I went for ours was that it has much more open aspect , as there is no pinch point in centre of van as most are like a figure of 8 with wardrobe above fridge. Ours has more kitchen work surface then most as wardrobe in rear corner next to bed. Has a king size french bed, while a lot of bigger vans have smaller because they squeeze the bathroom in next to it.

The twin single bed model by far the most popular.....

We have the fab Busbiker NL swing out bike rack. Video on here they have a new version with tow bar now.....
http://www.buscamper.nl/busbiker

Any questions feel free to ask .....many now catching on to the benefits of panel vans. if you can live with a smaller space, want far easier maintainence, want to park easily, get to where your going a hell of a lot quicker they are a solution.....

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Envy about as bad a sin as you can get:D

I always import anyway, gave up on the UK market years ago. Possl (parent brand, started by Peter Possl) don't have distribution here but have heard a Globecar dealer can order either....are you after LHD or RHD as I dont know if Possl available RHD

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
I was on the Globestar stand last year working part time for a dealer. As a professional sales engineer, I was surprised at the quality of salesmen manning the stand. Basically every dealer are allowed a salesman to man the stand, it is basically then all out war to "grab a punter" and make them sign on the dotted. They are not interested in educating the customer, and indeed their product knowledge is non existent at best. Although I had spent 25 years selling to industry, I felt very naive about the tactics of the salesmen.
On the other hand I also felt that the attitude of the people I spoke to on the stand reflected what they thought about Motorhome salesmen.
All that said the Globestar is a well made brand, good quality German product with some nice features. If we do downsize it will be one to look at.

As an aside, that was the last time I worked for the dealer, and I wasn't at all unhappy about that. I was only doing it for some pin money, and to keep myself busy.
Ah well it seems that salesmen with Good product knowledge, enthusiasm, and a keen regard for customer satisfaction, and who can close a deal in a win win scenario is not a requirement in the Motorhome world.
So best stay at home and do the gardening.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Prefer LHD .. but I was asking about the bike rack .. is it also import only ?

Have not seen it for sale here.....I did consider importing the rack and fitting to my last Adria van. if you can fit a tow bar its a similar process...we have expensive e bikes, and I fitted a ground anchor and use a heavy chain....really gives peace of mind. Not for everyone as far from cheap.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Well, I decided not to go to the show today because inevitably all that would happen is we would find the globecar stand and that would be as far as we get. I've wanted one for about 3 years now but just can't afford one at the moment.

I really like the look of your bike rack Judgemental, had I been aware of it I maybe would have held of buying the fiamma one for our Adria pvc.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The single beds in the Campscout are also a double, but with access via a 'V' split with steps at the foot end, if that makes any sense! So you get the best of both worlds. There is also an infill piece for the 'V', which makes the bed more difficult to get into but gives you a double big enough for 3. :cautious::rolleyes::love::whistle:

The downside is that it's the 6.3m van, so over the magic 6m mark.

The combination of my height & OH's mobility problems ruled out a transverse bed for us, but if you can manage with a transverse bed you can either have a sub-6m van or much more lounge space - whichever is more important to you.

This video shows how the 3rd bed makes up.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
thanks .. didn't think it would be .. as they say.. 'cheap no good, good no cheap '

Chap I know who lives near me has the same van (twin singles version) and same rack. Coming back from summer trip he swung the rack out, thinking it felt heavy (for the gas check at tunnel) and notice a foot sticking out from under bike cover. There were 2 young gentlemen between bikes and back wall..Must have been a bit of a surprise for everyone concerned....The fine for people smuggling would not have been so amusing.

winter test video:

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Here are some pics of my 636FR (I hope)

edit: God what an essay forum to use..well done that man :)

3465opx.jpg

rc8ox3.jpg

2zjm9g7.jpg

alqds6.jpg

ett7he.jpg

6srojl.jpg

a1tmo7.jpg

2zr2d91.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
thanks Judge
I see what you mean about not having that 'pinch' point with no wardrobe opposite the toilet.. like that a lot.. another thing to consider

something I wondered about.. can you use the toilet without closing off the centre of the van.. ?

and how do you find the shower with it blocking the aisle when in use. ?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
What can I say? We love our Globecar Globescout :):D(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
thanks Judge
I see what you mean about not having that 'pinch' point with no wardrobe opposite the toilet.. like that a lot.. another thing to consider

something I wondered about.. can you use the toilet without closing off the centre of the van.. ?

and how do you find the shower with it blocking the aisle when in use. ?

No not really...thats the compromise with a narrow PVC. if someone is in the shower, partner will have to stay put..either in bed or lounge. In practice we dont find it a problem. what may be a problem for some is if you are both tall the cut out on corner makes it shorter for the person sleeping on the outside ( plenty wide enough @ 1500mm). There is an infill to extend it. but this blocks the toilet door. we swap around, I sleep on the inside (5:10) Mrs Mental on the outside (5:8)

we usually use the one door that you see open in picture, it slides right around. Only use the 2 doors when showering..we do have a SOG though:D

basically use the door to divide area up... bathroom/dressing room

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Well we are on our way to the NEC on Saturday to drool over the new IH 630RL van we have ordered. We decided to go to a panel van after life with our Bailey 740 which we dearly loved, but found a bit too wide and got fed up towing! We do miss our van, so roll on February when we hope our new van will be ready. Anyone got the new IH van or similar any thoughts...other than the price, we hope it will be the dream machine. Just got to get used to being cosy in a smaller space, could be fun!

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
You'd have thought they would have fixed the N/S headlamp before putting the video out! :D

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
did you perchance have a look at the new Pilote Foxy van or was it not exhibited ?

I have the brochure but not seen in the flesh.. any one else seen it yet ?
Jim we did see this van and very impressed with it also, the sales rep from that stand actually sold Globecar also and in his honest opinion the Globecar was a better van. He may have been saying this due to his commission so never trust a salesman.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
not sure if this is the Foxy as one I looked at online had French bed. don't like interior fabric that much, but build quality should be very good. unfortunately french bed model with a bathroom stuck next to it means in my book both severely compromised

edit: seems its the same model

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Wicketter we have the same one on order, keep looking at the pictures, very excited. Looked at the Globecars but preferred the big lounge in the IH.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I have seen 2 Pilote Foxy vans, they were at Robsons of Wolsingham this summer, a 6metre one and a 6.36 metre one. They have sold the 6metre one now and have one left I think.

I didn't think much of it really, quality wise, the rear cupboards above the bed were very flimsy, I could have pulled them off it felt like.

I opened the bathroom door and it fell off the hinges, admittedly this could have been damaged by people viewing but overall I wouldn't rate them.

Paul.

Paul.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back