Very tempted by Globecar at NEC (2 Viewers)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We should get ours at the beginning of March but I will believe it if it happens, I am assuming there will be delays! Slightly worried about the colours as it seemed to rely on sticking bits of blue tack type stuff on the colours we chose. We are having the base vehicle and habitation packs plus a towbar to mount a bike rack. We have tried not to get too carried away, what about you?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's odd isn't it how we all look for something different in a MH? I like Globecars for their insulation but for nothing else. The one pictured earlier had a dreadfully cramped living area (inevitable with a fixed bed in a 6m PVC) and all that shiny brown wood! Must be like living in a coffin.

Which isn't to knock those who like these features but they are not for us. We are all different and long may it last.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Do think that Globecars are a bit dated in their interior colours but the Sportive model is more contemporary so would be good to see that interior option available for more models. My pet hate is "carpet on the walls" - lots of popular expensive van conversions have this as cheap way to finish & insulate but looks cheap & must be a nightmare to keep clean. I agree each to their own - I would like a tough wash down finish interior practical modern van but probably wouldn't be popular!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Our current van has carpet like material on lots of surfaces, love it as all our portable equipment like phones, sat receiver, remote controls etc have Velcro on them so just stick them on the walls safe and handy to get at.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My pet hate is "carpet on the walls" - lots of popular expensive van conversions have this as cheap way to finish & insulate but looks cheap & must be a nightmare to keep clean. I agree each to their own - I would like a tough wash down finish interior practical modern van but probably wouldn't be popular!

Bring a vacum cleaner?lol

You are far from alone in that thinking.....carpet on walls a real cheap option, what are they thinking, and that price point.....hardly hygienic as well.

I love Mrs Mental but we are not joined at the hip, go to sleep different times , get up different times, do different things. I might be relaxing on bed reading
/watching a movie, wife up front on laptop..... whatever. so two distinct areas make far more sense to us. Plus making up beds out of sofas a def no go....

Yes the Globacars are A bit Germanic, some might say austere, not entirely to my taste. But they offer quality and value for money. I prefer La Strada but in a different price bracket......

Last edited:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Our current van has carpet like material on lots of surfaces, love it as all our portable equipment like phones, sat receiver, remote controls etc have Velcro on them so just stick them on the walls safe and handy to get at.
Good point - being able to velcro items is very handy - not thought of that so perhaps that's why they are popular.

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Nice to know Carolyn that we are not the only ones going for the IH! Sounds like we are having more or less the same extras although we hope to get the tow bar and solar panels fitted after we get the van. Just the interior colours to choose! Exciting times ahead.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I'm gonna have to stand up for Globecars here ;)

They are the only vans that have proper moulded panels and not faced plywood or fibre board on the walls and doors. As for the style I think they are more contemporary than most of the others:)

As for size, show me a van that's any bigger in six metres? If you like single beds or making your bed up every night then that's another thingo_O

All said in the best possible taste:)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
thanks Judge
I see what you mean about not having that 'pinch' point with no wardrobe opposite the toilet.. like that a lot.. another thing to consider

something I wondered about.. can you use the toilet without closing off the centre of the van.. ?

and how do you find the shower with it blocking the aisle when in use. ?
When we ordered ours we chose not to have the centre shower/toilet because apart from blocking off the galley and splitting the van in two when in use I think that the van would fill with damp air after a shower or less salubrious smells after a poo:eek:

Also the height between the roof and floor is considerably reduced and makes it tight for anyone over 6ft (me).

As as already been said, each to his own:)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Agree about Globecars build style, design & quality - best we have seen after looking at all the van conversions at the NEC last year. The interior is more car like & modern than most just from our point of view upholstery colours aren't so appealing. My comment about carpet on walls was with regards to other manufacturers premium van conversions :(

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I went to Dusseldorf show in 2010 to look at new van for March 2011. Fully intending to get a Globecar I ended up with an Adria Twin SP. I was seduced by the nicer ambience, and that was stupid in retrospect. Globecar/Possl are in a different league, not as glitzy for sure. But its hard to explain how better they are, better surfaces, construction, insulation, better windows, fridges installed properly..... You want flash look elsewhere...

remember pictures of mine are from a dealers phone for me to view, simply practical not from a brochure..Want more lounge space, they do the Family L

Lighting pretty abysmal compared to Adria..haven't got around to doing anything about that yet. and Adria have the best mattresses in a camper that I've ever had (sprung - british made) Its all a balancing act....

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Adria have the best mattresses in a camper that I've ever had (sprung - british made) Its all a balancing act..

hmm.. not going to ask what you get up to, but I'm sure a PVC is much too small for bedroom acrobatics .. ;)

seriously.. a mattress is important.. but they can be changed , so on 'balance' I'd go for the van with the best build, insulation, workmanship and quality.. glitz puts me right off.. plastic chrome etc looks naff... definitely function before form

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Whilst I am of course a happy Globecar owner I have to confess that I have nothing to compare it with other that looking around showrooms and the NEC.

I agree with Judge about the lighting. Also there is a dearth of electricity sockets both 12v and 240v.

Actually, come to think of it perhaps it might be of interest to others if I list what I think is either wrong or shortcoming in the Globecar.

Lighting is sparse and no LED's

Only one 240v socket which is places just above the sink :eek:

The heating outlets opposite the fridge blow directly onto the fridge door and will warm it up considerably if used for a while (I stand the shower floor panel in front of the fridge to prevent this).

The tap in the bathroom can be left on (trigger on shower head) and could burn out pump or drain battery if unnoticed?

The tap and faucet in the kitchen are too close to the hinge lid and can easily be knocked accidentally .

We have worked our way through numerous rubber grommets on both burners (the ones that hold the hot plate ring) because they keep cracking and falling out (not really Globecars fault).

I think that the drawer catches and cupboard doors hinge/struts are only 'adequate' at best and are put to shame by some of the competition.

Lastly, and this is the only really serious issue........ The metal roof above the storage area (shelf) above the cab just up from the windscreen is unlined and suffers from severe condensation when cold outside. I only noticed this when I 'lost' something at the back of the shelf and was reaching across at arms length and feeling my way around and felt the cold wet metal surface. I have contacted the dealer and Globecar do NOT accept that there is a problem. A little water here and there won't do any harm but I am concerned as to the long term effect on either the interior lining or rust forming on the inside roof. For the time being I have found a 'work around' is to park the van so that in the morning the sun will play on the front and warm up the metal (grey van.....gets warm quickly) thereby the moisture evaporates.

In the grand scheme of things most of these issues are 'small beer'.

To finish on a 'high'...............

The van has been trouble free since new (April 2013) and covered 21000 miles. The fuel consumption is excellent ranging from an overall average of around 36 mpg to a very achievable 40 to 48 when on long motorways (steady at 55mph). The 6m length has saved massive amounts on ferry trips and the max weight of 3300kgs has saved on tolls.

Regarding comfort and space we have found it plentiful enough. For two people it provides all that is needed.

As to price, well I think they are still competitive and generally cheaper than most of the UK conversions.

All in all? Yes we do indeed love our van:D

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In the grand scheme of things most of these issues are 'small beer'.

Thanks for the 'honest' appraisal... and I agree.. small beer.

I think the latest models have LED lights..

The dearth of 230v and 12v sockets isn't a big issue for us, I can add as required, but as we try to avoid sites we don't take 230v mains kitchen appliances, they just use up valuable space and payload.. However, a double 13A socket under the dining table is useful for laptops etc. ..

I would also probably add a couple of 5v/2A USB sockets for charging phones etc

Does it have an aerial + 12v socket on the wall ?

Disappointed that you consider the door hinge/struts just adequate.. but provided they are 'adequate' , not a problem..

Surprised they have left the roof uninsulated in the above cab locker.. as you said, that should be insulated, a relatively easy and cheap task, but should have been done and not left to owners..

There is no such a thing as a perfect van.. even expensive IH vans and self built will have small niggles and things that could be better..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
LED's are now an 89 € option

Easy enough to fix extra sockets. I put a double 12 v above kitchen unit. and 230v under table.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I only mentioned the 240v sockets in passing.................... we rarely stay on sites let alone ones with leccy.

No aerial or 12v socket but as Judge indicates these things can be ordered as extras or fit yourself.

As you say, no 'perfect' van. Just pick the best 'compromise' that you like and can afford:)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have been thinking for a while that we will downsize to a van conversion in the next year or two as Sophie won't be coming with us as much.

On the Globescout the dinette and front passenger seat will convert into an occasional bed but not for tall people. This is standard in the design and does not cost extra:) We did consider it for our daughter but felt no real need (she has not come with us in the van once as it happens).

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Gave up trying to accommodate the kids (now young adults) years ago..they always preferred a tent outside anyway. They fly out and meet us sometimes (Croatia was the last time). Works fine in van except for 2 women hogging the bathroom when trying to get ready to go out:rolleyes:

There is a perfect van (in my book) from La Strada.....oozes quality. A darn site cheaper then the so called UK high end vans that I find hilarious...

Boater

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Bridgend s.wales
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi we have the campscout 636 great van suits tw of us three at a push judgmental what make is the bike rack bikes are the only thing we struggle with am currently using a tow bar mounted one have to unload to open the back doors.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
A bit off track maybe............. but have you considered folding bikes?. We have two Bromptons and they fit in the back with loads of room to spare. Secure, clean, easy for nipping to the shops or going on a 50k ride.

The money saved on a rear rack and wiring loom will go a long way towards the cost of the bikes:)

EDIT: only applies to someone who has not already fitted a rack etc....

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I have little to add to chockswahay's very fair summary. We have the Campscout, which has the fridge higher up, which is great - no bending down to peer into the far recesses. Made me realise how stupid it is to have floor level fridges in the kitchen at home!

The continentals clearly use their vans in different ways to us in the UK. The lack of both 12 & 230V power points is strange, but as has been said, easy to rectify & at least you get them where you want them.

We have the optional dealer fit oven (although ours was done at the factory, I believe). It is in the only place it realistically can be, which is in the top half of the cupboard below the fridge. This means that although our fridge isn't heated by the heater outlet, as chockwahay's is, it does get heat that rises from the oven. But we don't use it all that often, so it's not the end of the world.

I'm in two minds as to what to do about the missing insulation immediately above the windscreen. Do we block the gap between the storage area & that part of the roof to stop damp air getting to the cold metal, but then run the risk of that area never drying out properly, or leave it as it is? It's a narrow gap, so very difficult to insulate the roof retrospectively without a major dismantling job.

We've changed our lamps to LED & for a lot less than the 89 euro option charge mentioned. The light fittings above the beds & above the dinette are both wonderful & stupid at the same time. Wonderful because they are mounted in a track, so can be slid to either end of the bed or table & can be angled in any direction. Stupid because they are ridiculously vulnerable to the slightest knock - either breaking the shades or snapping off the track.

But all these are very minor points - certainly compared to some of the other horror stories that appear on here from time to time. The need for the underbed space to squeeze OH's electric wheelchair in was the deciding factor for us - no other van had the required clearance, but we do not regret for a moment the choice that was forced upon us.

Another plus point, especially for those of us with just the one vehicle, is the ease with which you can stow the bed or remove altogether to free up a massive load area in the back for doing the tip run or whatever.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Just a quick note to say thank you to all of you who are already globecar owners and have taken the time to post and give honest appraisals. (y) It really is helpful to those of us who are contemplating getting one.

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
We've had a Possl Roadcruiser (6.3odd metres long) since May 2013. We had extra sockets installed by the dealer in Germany, plus Busbiker, telly etc and solar panel. It's done 18,000 miles so far, with at least another 4k due before Xmas this year, and has been mechanically trouble free. We got it because of the bed layout (2 singles with steps up the middle so you aren't clambering over each other during the night) and are basically very happy with it. We preferred the interior to the Globecar's, and ditto the outside badging etc.

Minor drawbacks as already mentioned by others - cooker grommets, taps and lighting. I've added a couple of led reading lamps with flexible stems over the front seats - that sorted the lighting. Being tallish, I kept hitting my head on various sharp edges - sorted with padded strip. I've also added a door handle to the sliding door as we found it difficult to open just using the internal lever. Not had a problem with condensation and cupboard fittings etc all seem sturdy enough so far.

Pros - the shower arrangement is very neat and frees up some space as well as making it possible to separate the sleeping and living areas. It's possible to fit a worryingly large amount of 'stuff' into the various storage and carrying spaces, which suits Mrs Hughman to a T! It's dead easy to drive (Comfortmatic and 150 bhp) and if you need to press on it'll cruise at 75 -80 mph all day.

The Busbiker is excellent and very strong - we were the people Judgemental mentioned who found 2 stowaways hiding on the rack!

Thumbs up from us :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
was going to answer Boater's question re Busbiker NL but that has been answered. our German dealer stock it...email both for a price, PM me for details. They are not cheap! but I wouldn't be without one now.

like I said earlier if yo can fit a tow bar you can DIY..two handed job I should think, Eurotunnel gas inspection now a breeze

I see Hugh who I mentioned earlier with a Possl 636 with same rack has joined as well...Hugh is the people smuggler I mentioned earlier:cautious:

have seen this issue about overhead cupboard lack of insulation before. mine is fully insulated with the black stuff you see being fitted to interior in the video..unless i'm missing something. maybe they rectified it from 2013?

and there he is!:D

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
You would usually only find the missing over-cab insulation by accident - trying to retrieve something that has slipped down the gap. You need long arms.

Reach to the back of the over-cab storage. Is there a small gap between the rear of the storage area & the black insulation on the roof? If so, insert your fingers through the gap. An inch or so further in, you can feel that the insulation has stopped & you can just feel the bare metal of the roof. On a cold winter's morning after a night in the van, this gets condensation on it in the same way as the windscreen does (unless you have external silver screens).

Ours was built April 13 & has the gap.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
how much is 'not cheap' .. I'm guessing.. £350 ? - £450

Noooo.......Unfortunately they have gone up in price...are you sitting down...Not holding a drill/knife or anything as I don't want you to injure yourself. in fact I have emailed dealer to check

EDIT: Yes that is the price but no discount. It really is a substantial bit of engineering. Not impossible not to copy it though for a cheaper solution......

you could fit a towbar. chop of the ball fixing. fit a square metal hinged post with a securing upright, and fit the base swing down part from a truma/fiamma rack...(if DIY doesn't frighten you)...may be a bit heath robinson depending on skills. or find a metal worker to help...

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back